• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nickbau5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2020
    Brownsburg
    I've been thinking of buying a 92 variant for some time and was thinking of maybe looking into grabbing one after the virus leaves us. I'm stuck at a crossroads of which 92 variant I'd like to get, if it be the FS, the G (possible SD version), classic M9, M9A1, 92 A1 (if there's a difference between this and the M9A1), or the M9A3. A friend of mine has touted how he wants an A3 and I have to say the presentation of it is nice, but I don't know if I'd want a new look or a classic look. Price is also a point, where, I assume, 92FS variants are the cheapest option and likely to be found as LEO trade ins, and possible surplussing out of M9s.

I'm just wondering if any of you have experience with these variants and could give some input on the main differences, drawbacks, and buying points.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I have a 92FS that I have added Wilson Combat parts to and love it. I also have a Wilson Combat 92G that is a sweet shooter. The 92G being a decocker only doesn’t take much getting used to. My FS was acquired through a trade and was a plain Jane piece but needed some attention. I wanted a fiber optic front sight and had AllenM do the jacking work. Removed the plastic bits and replaced with metal and then added the Wilson goodies. I was super happy with the results and mods can be done over time to make it what you want. There are barrels out there too if your worried a PD trade in is in need of a new tube.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I am a huge fan of the 92 pattern pistols. "G" model is a must for me, and the Vertec grip is a huge plus. I also really like the rounded trigger guard (strictly aesthetics) and flush cut barrel (clears leather better), so I would give the 92X a look (if you don't want to drop the cash on a Wilson Brigadier Vertec).

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Personally, I own an M9A3 that I've basically replaced everything with Langdon and Wilson parts. Rides in a drop leg holster on a camo'd battle belt setup, and gets treated like a borrowed mule.

I also have a Wilson Brigadier Vertec with their trigger job done to it, and it's probably my favorite handgun I've ever owned. It rides in a shark skin trimmed Wilson / Milt Sparks holster, and is delegated to BBQ gun duties and sissy / static range visits (because I'm a cheap ass).

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Sort of a Beretta 92 series fan myself and if you are looking at the best bang for the buck (pun intended) I suggest the standard commercial M9 as for some reason even though other than the rear sight, roll marks and a couple of very minor cosmetic items it is cheaper than it's twin 92FS. Both are safety/decock versions. The G model is if you want decock only.

The M9A3 is the modern version of the old 92FS Vertec. The current series known as the 92X also used the Vertec grip which originally was designed for those wanting a more 1911 style grip. The X series comes in several versions of full size and compact.

With any you will be buying what is called the AK of the pistol world, very reliable and a true workhorse. The only thing it doesn't compare to the AK is it's accuracy. The 92 series is an amazingly accurate pistol.

There are actually no draw-backs to any as it comes down to Beretta offering a zillion variations with it coming down to your personal decission.

Nickbau5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2020
    Brownsburg
    I think I should clarify my intended use for it would be a fun/range gun and one to have it's own spot around the house in the event I need it in a certain room. So I'd likely get a full sized version since I don't intend to carry it, as I already have a carry gun in my Arex Zero 1 compact.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I too have thought about getting a Beretta 92. Wish I could purchase the one I carried and that slept next to me in Afghanistan.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I really like the M9A3 but it really does need the G mod imo. All of them do imo!

The only problem I'm noticing is the vertex grip has a shorter length of pull. It's a fantastic shooter once you get used to that.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I've owned quite a few 92's...carried one several times overseas. Down to 3 right now, 92FS bi-tone, 92G and a M9A1. I also owned a D- model 92 for a few years. All are great shooters. I never cared much for the Vertec gripped models.

G- models set up with the "D" model mainspring are the way to go. Don't have to worry about working the safety and the trigger pull with the D spring is very nice. My M9A1 is set up with a bunch of Wilson parts, slim grips and a D spring also. It has the added benefit of being able to use my Surefire light on the rail too.

Find a G model for a decent price and trick it out the way you want!

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Standard 92FS with wilson slim grips, steel guide rod, and a D spring.

It's one of the nicer shooting 9mm handguns I've shot, and what I like to use to teach people how to shoot a handgun with.

It'd be nice to have a GSD, but it's about double the price for a bunch of features I wouldn't necessarily get all that excited about.
    The G mod would be very nice to have, but thus far I have yet to have a problem with the safety.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I really like the M9A3 but it really does need the G mod imo. All of them do imo!

The only problem I'm noticing is the vertex grip has a shorter length of pull. It's a fantastic shooter once you get used to that.

The M9A3 is available from the factory in either FS (safety/decock) or G (decock only) versions.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I carried a M9 daily for years in the Military. I also used the 92D Vertec for my civilian job. The new 92X is what I was considering to add a Beretta to my collection for sentimental reasons.

With the X or M9a3 you can at least configure it similar to the traditional grip NM if that fits you better than the Vertex style

As far as the G or safety/decocker we ran them hard in the USAF (believe it or not nuke Security we did have a good combat arms program and shot a lot) I saw very little issues with people flipping it on safe when manipulating the slide. nothing like the internet says anyway. But if a decker is your flavor they are easily swapped.

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    What are the differences of the G and G-SD? I tried to do some research, but couldn't make much sense of the differences/upgrades

Standard 92G is identical to the standard FS except in decock only as described above. The G-SD is a fairly rare version that had the M9-A1 frame (shaved trigger guard, front rail on dust cover) with the heavy duty Brigadier slide.

jfw46544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Hot Springs Village, AR
    I have a 92FS set up much the same way as Tombs, but did the G modification to it. You can get it direct from Beretta.

https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-g-lever-kit/

QUOTE=Tombs;8268511]Standard 92FS with wilson slim grips, steel guide rod, and a D spring.

It's one of the nicer shooting 9mm handguns I've shot, and what I like to use to teach people how to shoot a handgun with.

It'd be nice to have a GSD, but it's about double the price for a bunch of features I wouldn't necessarily get all that excited about.
    The G mod would be very nice to have, but thus far I have yet to have a problem with the safety.[/QUOTE]

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Want to add and emphasis what others have said, the standard 92 Series has a fairly stout trigger spring. I recommend to everyone who asks about the 92 to put the D model spring in replacing the standard trigger spring. A few pounds lighter makes the trigger pull much nicer.

Trigger feel gets better with age, and in fact the one I use the most when I let other try it they swear I had a trigger job done, but it is just that the 92 trigger wears in very nicely.

dekindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2020
    Noblesville
    A year ago Indiana Gun Club had a M9A3 special buy for $750 that I would have purchased; the one that I dry fired had an excellent trigger. Except I had already purchased a Beretta 92G Elite LTT that I like very well. Ernest Langdon is an expert on Beretta 92's and designed the LTT which stands for Langdon Tactical Technology.

I would consider the M9A3, 92G Elite LTT, Wilson Brigadier, or the 92X. There are lots of youtube reviews of all these models and Yankee Marshal does a very detailed comparison of the Langdon and Wilson. You can get the 92G Elite LTT and 92X direct from Langdon Tactical. 92X is the newest model and appears to be very well designed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

rwilky78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2016
    Kendallville
    I recently purchased a 92FS and love it. The only thing I will add to what the others have already recommended is get you the Beretta extended magazine release. I thought i have rather large hands but that thing was very hard to get to with my hands, especially after putting on a different set of grips.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I like the vertec / 92x frames without the rounded backstrap as they fit my hand better. However, there is a Beretta 92DS on armslist locally that is very tempting. This is the DAO version with safety. I had several DAO 3rd gen S&W pistols and they were fun to shoot.

Top Bottom