• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    I've been a bit hesitant in posting this, however decided I'd find the conversation interesting. I own a 7.5in barreled 7.62x39 AR pistol, and am building a 6in barreled 10/22 pistol; both in PDW inspired setups.

Which highly controversial option would you choose?

AR:
    Aero upper/lower/gas block
    BCA barrel
    PSA LPK
    SB Tactical PDW brace

10/22:
    Enoch Odin chassis
    Whistlepig 6" barrel
    Gear Head Works Tailhook Mod1C brace
    Ruger BX trigger

(Fully aware that both are inherently flawed; therein lies the fun).

The x39 AR potentially has feeding/extractor/bolt issues; while the 10/22 has terminal ballistics/rimfire unreliability issues.
    7cc7c277ede8f1aaa5c7b56cfe6e36cd.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    Nice looking ar!!...guess I'd go put a bunch through the 7.62 and if it didnt have problems call it good and go with that , just because others have problems doesn't mean you will , just my .02

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    So my only question is what did the 10/22 start out life as? I'm assuming a rifle so I hope you have your tax stamp in hand before you start.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I went the Odin chassis pistol build last year and by far the most fun semi auto 22 I have and sounds great suppressed. Went with the 6” kids barrel which has been great but weighs as much as the chassis and Tactical Solutions receiver combined

Didn't know about the Whistle Pig barrel until now. Might have to get one

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    I went the Odin chassis pistol build last year and by far the most fun semi auto 22 I have and sounds great suppressed. Went with the 6” kids barrel which has been great but weighs as much as the chassis and Tactical Solutions receiver combined

Didn't know about the Whistle Pig barrel until now. Might have to get one
    It's been on my radar for a while, but finally decided to start the build. Will be little by little. So far, have the chassis, barrel, and trigger in hand. Brace (Tailhook Mod1C) should be arriving next week sometime. Still leaves quite a bit, but piecing it all out is some of the fun.

May try High Tower Armory's picatinny adaptors for Glock sights as a low profile backup option.

Nickbau5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2020
    Brownsburg
    The x39 PDW, it just does more ballistically than the .22lr. 22 is, for all intents and purposes, a range toy/squirrel round, and won't do as much, comparatively, if you needed it.

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    I've been informed that I missed a quite entertaining post.. As I mentioned, this is more of a thought exercise/game of would-you-rather, as both will eventually be complete and in the collection.

9x39 is intriguing for the application, and a close friend (also an INGOer) is, or at least was toying with the idea of building a pistol.

The .22, realistically is a fun range toy, and a nice backpack survival type gun. As a defensive tool, nowhere near as effective, however far better than a sharp stick and a rock.

The x39 would be a solid option for a true PDW option, however would have to be thoroughly vetted (moreso than a standard 5.56/300blk AR build), simply due to the inherent difficulties of running x39 out of the AR pattern.

Again, just a fun thought experiment as to what you would prioritize in a small, inherently flawed system.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I built up a Mini Draco PDW and it is one of my favorite AKs to shoot. Since the pic below was taken, I built up the receiver slightly under the adapter with JB Weld and the folding brace is now straight. I switched to an SB3 brace and also have added an MI fore end and Enforce light. The Texas Weapons System dogleg rail dust cover is cut for the red dot so it co-witnesses.

attachment.php

MAC did a good video a while back on the velocity loss from 16" to 10.5" to 7.5" for the 7.62x39 round. It retains more velocity and effectiveness at the shorter lengths than 5.56x45mm.

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    I built up a Mini Draco PDW and it is one of my favorite AKs to shoot. Since the pic below was taken, I built up the receiver slightly under the adapter with JB Weld and the folding brace is now straight. I switched to an SB3 brace and also have added an MI fore end and Enforce light. The Texas Weapons System dogleg rail dust cover is cut for the red dot so it co-witnesses.

attachment.php

MAC did a good video a while back on the velocity loss from 16" to 10.5" to 7.5" for the 7.62x39 round. It retains more velocity and effectiveness at the shorter lengths than 5.56x45mm.
    I was pleasantly surprised by a 11in(?) Polish pistol with the Gearstar Works Tailhook on a KGB Stinger arm. Might have to add an AK pistol to the fold down the road.

I've seen that one! Quite informative. MrGunsngear did a similar video on 300blk a little while back as well.

Ammo cost and no intention of running suppressed is what pushed me in the direction of the x39.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Ammo cost and no intention of running suppressed is what pushed me in the direction of the x39.

I picked up some 182 gr PPU subsonic ammo but haven't had a chance to try is out of this one. If it functions then suppression will follow.

Top Bottom