• ...and so much more!
  • COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    With all the ranges closed, I have kept a round chambered in my P07 for quite a long time.
    It's a decocker so really no full spring tension. But curious if other Ingo folks feel it's okay or would it be beneficial to clear every so often.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    unless you are adding lube where some oil might eventually bleed into the cartridge, I wouldn't worry about it.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have never worried about it.
    I would worry more about chambering the same round too many times risking bullet setback.

Probably won't happen after a few times, but could be an issue overtime if always clambering the same round.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Agreed. When cleaning make sure to get all the solvents out of the chamber. Then do not chamber the same round repeatedly. What kills ammo is the repeated chambering because it can 1) set the bullet back and 2) destroys the compound in the primer cup. The other thing that gets to ammo after a time is it’s exposure to heat, cold, humidity. So a person should rotate out and replace carry ammo every so often. Just a good idea for defensive guns in general. I simply shoot them up occasionally or put it in a box marketed practice ammo. All of it has always gone bang.

Pick an ammo that you can purchase readily at the local shop or buy a case online. My LGS gets Federal HST and Hornady Critical Defense. Just pay attention to what is on the shelves, test for function and accuracy, buy a couple extra boxes and go for it. Plan on replacing a box every 6 months or so and rotate out.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I edc year round and replace my defense ammo yearly. I've got a round chambered in all firearms i use for home or personal defense. It has never hurt any of my firearms. Like expat said watch the lube. I made that mistake in my early years of carry with brass case ammo. I'd cleaned and oiled the barrel/chamber then went around 3 months without firing or cleaning my edc pistol i work outside year round. The brass case corroded inside the chamber. Lesson learned was don't lube the barrel/chamber and use nickel plated brass for more corrosion resistance. Perspiration and brass cases don't get along.

Last edited:

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    I wouldnt worry about it. Never thought about the lube, but thats a good point as well. Most of my carry ammo is nickel plated as others have mentioned.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    For the record, I've had guns soaked in oil with a round in the chamber for years, never once have I had a primer go bad. Even with unsealed, reloaded ammo.

The only time I'd start worrying about a round expiring is if it uses a lead free primer. To be on the safe side, I wouldn't trust a lead free primer after 5 years, granted they're supposed to last a decade.

I usually replenish my EDC ammo every range session. It isn't a magic unicorn bullet that you can't live without, and if it is, I recommend you change to something less precious.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I’m in the “If dry, don’t worry about it” camp.

As others have said, rotating ammo out yearly is a good idea. What I like to do is take a box of fresh ammo to the range and then a cold draw and shoot until empty. It lets me feel how the gun would have worked had I had to use it with the old ammo onboard. Ive never had a gun fail when doing that.

Jones1776

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2020
    fort wayne
    I switch out yearly also unless my weapon happens to get wet, make sure you shoot some of your new carry ammo to make sure your point of aim doesn't change

Top Bottom