• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I got a Charter Arms Pathfinder .22 mag revolver for my mom, who is 87. I thought it would be easier to handle than one of my .38's. I guess I overestimated her hand strength, because she cannot pull the hammer back or pull the trigger without a lot of difficulty. Is it possible to either change out the hammer spring or reduce the weight of the DA trigger pull on these guns?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I'd be careful with changing springs to lighten the trigger on a rimfire revolver. You might wind up with light strikes. Most rimfire revolvers that I've handled have pretty stiff trigger pulls. Unfortunately, at 87 years old with limited hand strength, there may not be many options for a revolver. If she CAN cock the hammer and pull the trigger on one of your .38s, it would be a much better option than any rimfire revolver. A mild full wadcutter .38 target load has negligible recoil and would be more effective than anything you can load a .22 with.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Yeah, in hindsight, that's what I'm thinking too. My police trade-in Smith model 64 is the smoothest shooter I have. We may just have to go with that.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I have a Pathfinder .22 that was pretty stiff when it was new. A lot of the issue was rough surfaces on the machined parts. A little fine polishing and a lot of dry firing loosened it up quite a bit. (note: do not dry fire a rimfire without an o-ring or something to cushion the hammer/firing pin! It will damage the firing pin.)

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Snap, Id be willing to let your mom try out the wifes S&W Ez shield 380. The slide is very easy to rack and trigger pull is easy as well, if I recall around 5#. The mags even have a button on the side to aid in loading them.

Might be a great option for her.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Snap, Id be willing to let your mom try out the wifes S&W Ez shield 380. The slide is very easy to rack and trigger pull is easy as well, if I recall around 5#. The mags even have a button on the side to aid in loading them.

Might be a great option for her.

I appreciate it. The trigger sounds great. We would have to see how she does racking the slide. I'll talk to her and get back to you.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I appreciate it. The trigger sounds great. We would have to see how she does racking the slide. I'll talk to her and get back to you.

when I demonstrated how easy they (smith 380 ez) were to chamber, id hold the gun in my strong hand, and put my index finger on the front sight, and push the slide back!

If memory serves me, its an aluminum slide, and a blowback design, so it has a very light slide!

Top Bottom