• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Hey guys, looking for a little guidance.

Ive been conversing with a gentleman in south bend about a hi power he is trying to sell.
    ive got him down to what i think is a fair deal.
    Im really just buying the gun as a project to restore and I'm afraid ill lose my butt on it.

I spoke with a customer rep and identified the pistol as a 1969 belgium T series.
    it has only about 50 percent finish remaining, And after I get it worked on and blued ill be into the pistol for nearly 1,000 dollars.

I'm afraid me re-finishing it will actually hurt the value of the pistol.
    Ive also been told T series guns are sought after due to their better finish?

any bits and pieces of knowledge, Id be ecstatic to learn.
    we have a few 1911 gurus around here, anyone know a thing about hi-powers?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Are you specifically looking for a "T" series or just a really nice Hi-Power to have? Highsmiths here in Greenfield has an older one that's in awesome condition with a beautiful original finish for 999.00 but I don't know the year of mfg but I could find out for you.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Not specific to T series.
    really just wanted to have a project that in the end would at least have a value equal to what I put into it, and this hi-power seemed like an excellent candidate.
    however, if after the work is done the value is hurt or below what im trying to put into it ( around $1000.00)
    ill pass.
    the pistol is also nearly a 3 hour drive so it wont hurt me to bad to change my
    mind

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Not specific to T series.
    really just wanted to have a project that in the end would at least have a value equal to what I put into it, and this hi-power seemed like an excellent candidate.
    however, if after the work is done the value is hurt or below what im trying to put into it ( around $1000.00)
    ill pass.
    the pistol is also nearly a 3 hour drive so it wont hurt me to bad to change my
    mind

It's hard to say, right now you can get nice older HP's for not much more than 1K with very nice T's and C's pushing 17-1800.00 now. The one you want is basically a shooter and with a nice re-finish will still be a shooter as it would not garner much collector interest.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    This is the information I was looking for.
    considering the travel distance it probably isn't worth my time.
    ill save my pennies Awhile longer for something nice.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    High Powers come in a variety of models and configurations. I have several and they are excellent guns and a joy to shoot. IMHO though a refinished HP is like any other refinished gun as it will never be worth what a nice original finish gun is worth. If you want a super clean original gun be patient and look for one. If you want a super clean refinished gun that you just want to keep and shoot go for that. You can throw a lot of money at a gun and it’ll turn out beautifully but the true collector value is gone. But in the current times who really knows. High Powers are great guns and one of my all time favorites. Good luck in your search.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    If you want a Hi Power just for shooting check out the Tisas copy. It is a Hi Power made in Turkey. All of the parts are interchangeable with the Belgian-made ones.

They cost around $600. A lot of people like them

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Little warning about refinishing a firearm from a collector, don't. Most collectors prefer the original patina and any refinishing might look nicer but could severely hurt resale value.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    Not to hi-jack but I basically have the same handgun the OP is mentioning but in perfect shape and thought I would share (looks like it was made yesterday). I am not a "high power" guy but curious on what it would be worth? I have the receipt from Blythe's from 1969 (it cost a whopping $95 back then). Also have what appears to be original storage case with 1 magazine and likely ammo from 1969. I would guess it doesn't have a box of ammo through it. When I acquired it I broke it down and put some storage oil on it and I bought a complete wolff spring kit in case someone in the future wanted to shoot it. Then I just stored it away thinking that perhaps years down the road it might be worth a decent amount to the right person. To me it is too nice to shoot considering its age and condition and the fact that I have something else that would fill the same purpose.

MUsBmCs.jpg

93anthracite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2020
    Fort Wayne
    Since we're talking BHP values, hopefully I can get some thoughts on my own dilemma.
    Meet my own surplus Mk-II Hi Power:
    JMf9ZRV.jpg

As you can see, the surface is not in great shape. I have no history on the pistol, but it is a great shooter and has been reliable for me. However, I want to make it more attractive to match its performance.
    Before I proceed (most likely a strip to bare metal, some polishing, and a re-blue), I am curious whether a MkII has any real value or if restoring it will significantly diminish it. Any thoughts?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Since we're talking BHP values, hopefully I can get some thoughts on my own dilemma.
    Meet my own surplus Mk-II Hi Power:
    JMf9ZRV.jpg

As you can see, the surface is not in great shape. I have no history on the pistol, but it is a great shooter and has been reliable for me. However, I want to make it more attractive to match its performance.
    Before I proceed (most likely a strip to bare metal, some polishing, and a re-blue), I am curious whether a MkII has any real value or if restoring it will significantly diminish it. Any thoughts?

They're importing a lot of these right now they don't really have any collector value go ahead and customize it. The advantage with these MKII's are the sight cuts were so shallow it's easy to get any type new rear sight machined like a Novak. Looks like yours was made in 1985.

Top Bottom