Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snorko View Post
    Glad to see it is shooting well for you. I bet you can really tighten those groups up.

It was a thrill to put rounds through that 1981 classic today!
    I put about 200 rounds through it trying to line up the POI with POA, which is compromised since I don't see the front sight well.
    I have a choice: a fuzzy front sight or a fuzzy target.

I kept tinkering with the elevation & windage trying to tighten it up.
    The clicks weren't felt as much as I would have liked.
    I put a drop of Lucas gun oil last night on each side of the windage screw & on the elevation screw to soak overnight, since they seemed stiff.

Painting the front Partridge sight didn't work out as well as I'd hoped, but I put 3 coats of red over the white this pm (as per instructions), so hopefully that'll help.
    I'd love to put a red dot on it, but the 17-4 didn't come pre-drilled like later models for a rail.
    Last edited by doddg; 05-26-2020 at 00:30.

User Info Menu

I had a model 17 that I sold, and I'm SO sorry I did. It's on my bucket list again too.

Quote Originally Posted by 04FXSTS View Post
    If God created anything better than dogs and S&W revolvers he kept it for his self.

Marksman

User Info Menu

When shooting open sights your front sight should always be clearly in focus. Even when I had 20/20 vision my target would always be slightly fuzzy or out of focus. The only method I know where a shooter can have the sights and target clear is with some type of aperture device worn on eye wear.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by doddg View Post
    It was a thrill to put rounds through that 1981 classic today!
    I put about 200 rounds through it trying to line up the POI with POA, which is compromised since I don't see the front sight well.

I kept tinkering with the elevation & windage trying to tighten it up.
    The clicks weren't felt as much as I would have liked.
    I put a drop of Lucas gun oil last night on each side of the windage screw & on the elevation screw to soak overnight, since they seemed stiff.

Painting the front Partridge sight didn't work out as well as I'd hoped, but I put 3 coats of red over the white this pm (as per instructions), so hopefully that'll help.
    I'd love to put a red dot on it, but the 17-4 didn't come pre-drilled like later models for a rail.

My paint job isnít the best anymore but this is what I have been using.
    My 617 and 17-5 sport orange paint on the Patridge Blade. I don't have any Partidge sights in a pear tree.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Trapper Jim; 05-26-2020 at 05:11.
    No Compromise

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper Jim View Post
    My 617 and 17-5 sport orange paint on the Patridge Blade. I don't have any Partidge sights in a pear tree.

I have read before to keep your front blade in focus.
    With my trifocal glasses, what I describe is when looking through the top "distance" lens.

To use my middle lens (a very small portion of the lens), is for medium distances, like seeing my front sight (but my rear sight is fuzzy).
    To see the front sight using the middle lens,
    I have to "crank" my neck up & the arthritis doesn't like that.I also use the middle lens for seeing my cmp screen, or the top shelf at the grocery.
    The lower lens is just for close reading.

If the targets were closer & lower, I naturally would be using the middle lens b/c of the line of sight would be lower & more natural.
    The greater the distance from my eyes at the range, the more I have to crank my neck up, if trying to use the middle lens, but the target is really fuzzy.

I just thought, typing this out, maybe if I bought some "reading" glasses that were the same magnification of my middle lens, it would be doable.
    When watching TV, I use such with the distance magnification so I can see clearly with my chair reclined (do the same at the theatre, or turn my glasses upside down).

This is why I've become such a fan of optics, tying to put them on everything I have with a rail
    But, none of my 3 revolvers or about half of the semi-autos don't have a rail.
    A couple of semi-autos, if I knew I was going to keep them long-term, I could take off the rear sight off & put on a rail (Browning Buckmark), or use the drilled holes on top to put on a rail (Ruger Mark 4 Target).
    As you can see, this is one of the reasons I don't take my shooting too seriously, except for my own entertainment: never going to win any prizes.
    Steel matches is the only thing that could be doable.

Thanks for the input.

Master

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 700 LTR 223 View Post
    When shooting open sights your front sight should always be clearly in focus...
    ^^^This (as I've told you before). ALWAYS favor focus on the front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by doddg View Post
    ...I just thought, typing this out, maybe if I bought some "reading" glasses that were the same magnification of my middle lens, it would be doable...
    Wear safety glasses. These are the ones I use and they are full lens "readers"...https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You may have to buy a couple to figure out which diopter you need or ask your optometrist. Be aware these are listed by diopter rather than magnification.

User Info Menu

I saw that one. I collect nice Smith wheelers. But yes, long trip.

Dibs on the resell.

Hop

User Info Menu

I got custom focal distance "shooting" glasses. They are single vision, non-progressive lenses so there's no head tilting up/down to get the front sight in focus. Sounds like you need the same thing.

The target is always blurry. Hold the tip of that crisply focused front sight in the center of that blurry target.

I have tried some low power reading glasses in combination with my contacts. That works well for me too.

Revere's Riders Instructor - Master Rifle KD, Master Pistol

NRA Pistol instructor | NRA Rifle instructor | NRA RSO
    Classes and info here: https://www.reveresriders.org/

User Info Menu

I have a 648 6Ē and a 17 6Ē with full underlug barrel. Both are excellent shooters when o do my part. Both are a bit muzzle heavy with the full underlug barrels but itís not too bad for a cylinder at a time. I have a Colt Officers Match that I want to shoot to compare the three but never had the chance. When I want to get serious though itís time for one of my Smith 41s.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    ^^^This (as I've told you before). ALWAYS favor focus on the front sight.
    Wear safety glasses. These are the ones I use and they are full lens "readers"...https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    You may have to buy a couple to figure out which diopter you need or ask your optometrist. Be aware these are listed by diopter rather than magnification.
    This pm I just bought some 3.25 reading glasses at Walgreens to do what my "middle" lens was doing at arm's length.
    Don't know about the "diopter," I'll have to google that.
    Appreciate the heads-up!

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper Jim View Post
    I noticed that you have some white paint there to put on as a 1st and/or 2nd coat: that's what I do as per instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigblitz View Post
    I saw that one. I collect nice Smith wheelers. But yes, long trip.
    Dibs on the resell.
    I used to write that down when people say that, but after calling people back and they have moved on or spent their money on something else, I stopped doing that.
    If I ever do sell it, I'll look back on this thread since there have been 2-3 who have called, "dibs."

Quote Originally Posted by Hop View Post
    I got custom focal distance "shooting" glasses. They are single vision, non-progressive lenses so there's no head tilting up/down to get the front sight in focus. Sounds like you need the same thing.
    The target is always blurry. Hold the tip of that crisply focused front sight in the center of that blurry target.
    I have tried some low power reading glasses in combination with my contacts. That works well for me too.
    It will take some getting used to, having the target blurry.

Last edited by doddg; 05-26-2020 at 18:52.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast