Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

S&W 17-4 1981 revolver

Picked up a "bucket list" gun that I'd given up on getting, but it just "appeared," & from a trusted member I'd bought/sold from before.
    Thumb rest doesn't seem to fit me & another member recommended Packmayer Gripper grips for it (or perhaps Hogue?).
    Not in a hurry to so that yet, as I don't know if it would improve my accuracy any since the target grips that come with it are fine.

I can't see the front iron sights clearly, so the first thing I did was to paint them white, but the white still got lost in the rear sight posts.
    I'm going to go to the 2nd stop & put red over the white on the front sights & maybe have to put some white on the rear sights.
    I've been having to do this on all my iron sight guns.
    Those with a nice 3 white dot system (like Glock 44), or a red optic on the front sight (like my Dan Wesson .22LR revolver & my upgraded GSG 1911-22 clone).

Below is the 1st range pic with me adjusting the rear sights all along the way.
    All 21' on a rest, all S/A.
    Did the five targets in order, then shot the numbers backwards.
    Some improvement along the way, with adjusting too far sometimes, or adjusting the wrong way.
    Hopefully I'll improve when I get the right color on the sights for my eyes.
    Going to use red on the front & if I have to, put white on the rear for some clarity.

Torso & head done at 30'.
    18 rounds D/A on torso.
    18 rounds S/A on head.
    Smaller targets on bottom 2 rows done at 21' with 6 rounds each.
    On the bottom 2 rows there were 6 rounds in the red with both DA & SA, although the SA groups were a tad tighter.

User Info Menu

Nice looking wheel gun doddg!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy View Post
    For now it is. New photos in 6 weeks. ("I already have a Rossi and can't justify this...")

User Info Menu

Sweet looking S&W
    "Courage is Being Scared to Death, but Saddling up Anyway" - John Wayne
    INGO# 3207

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Twangbanger View Post
    For now it is. New photos in 6 weeks. ("I already have a Rossi and can't justify this...")
    I deserve that! It is how I enjoy the hobby: "renting" yet another gun.
    "6 weeks?" I bought 3 guns just last week, & sold 1 last week, so 2 more need to be on the chopping block now, not in 6 weeks!

The vetting between the 17-4 will be my beloved Dan Wesson 8" barrel, 54 oz.
    I look forward to finding out which is best with my old eyes.
    Finding out which ammo, & at what distance is my idea of fun!

Can't wait to see how the DW & the 17-4 stack up against each other: I'm supposing it will be tied, with one edging out the other depending on how much sleep I got the night before.
    B/C of DW, I sold all of my other revolvers.
    I occasionally buy one here and there to play with, like the Uberti Stallion last week (never had one before), which I wouldn't have bought if I knew I was getting this 17-4 gem.

I can justify keeping both for now, especially when I sell the Uberti, but I wanted to keep one single-action fixed sights revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by red_zr24x4 View Post
    Sweet looking S&W
    Thanks! I am thrilled to have a piece of iconic SW .22LR.

User Info Menu

very nice!!!.....i have a 617 that is a tack driver....i tried buying it from snorko but was to late.....if you decide to part with it let me know....

"I got a shotgun,rifle and 4 wheel drive and country boy can survive!!!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ghitch75 View Post
    very nice!!!.....i have a 617 that is a tack driver....i tried buying it from snorko but was to late.....if you decide to part with it let me know....

Stainless & wood handles!

User Info Menu

No offense, but I hope the DW loses. Edit to add; I had talked myself into a road trip for that Smith, but some guy (OP) beat me to it.
    Last edited by BGDave; 05-25-2020 at 22:23. Reason: spelling no excuse.
    Laser eyed dog has mellowed (Daughters "hair missile")and cat is alive and well.

Marksman

User Info Menu

A really nice classic Smith & Wesson in the 17-4. A 17 like you have or a nice Model 18 would be a great compliment to my 617-1. Speaking of 617s that is really a nice one you have there ghitch75.

User Info Menu

Glad to see it is shooting well for you. I bet you can really tighten those groups up.

"If you are mad as hell and aren't gonna take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside. If you're the only one with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet"

"I saw a movie once where only the police and military had guns. It was called Schindler's List."

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast