Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

User Info Menu

I wanted to put a scope on the 87, but I hadn't planned on going to the range today, but after cleaning it I wanted to test it for improvement in the FTF (9%) I had yesterday more than I wanted to go for accuracy using a scope: there's always another day.

2nd range day with Beretta 87. First day I didn't post pics: I don't post all the targets!
    I had 6/200 FTFire issues (3%) today, instead of 27/300 (9%) yesterday.
    Shot Aguila Super-Extra which was the most accurate with 00 FTF issues.
    CCI Mini-Mags with 4 of the FTF.
    CCI Standard Velocity with 2 FTF.

I read today where the Beretta 87, like the SW 41 are to be fed SV, not HV.
    You can do it, like I used the Aguila Super Extra today, but it will wear much quicker.
    Good to know.

You can see that the Aguila was more accurate than CCI SV whether 21' or 30' or SA or DA.
    But, I shouldn't be running it.

Master

User Info Menu

First thing to do with a new used "sat around for years gun" is take it apart, deep clean it to remove the grunge and varnished oil and lube it up and THEN take it to the range.

As for .22 SV ammo, go here and buy a case (5000 rds) of CCI SV for $0.052/round shipped. You can thank me later.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    First thing to do with a new used "sat around for years gun" is take it apart, deep clean it to remove the grunge and varnished oil and lube it up and THEN take it to the range.

As for .22 SV ammo, go here and buy a case (5000 rds) of CCI SV for $0.052/round shipped. You can thank me later.

Lesson learned!
    Thanks for the tip on the SV, I will order NOW.
    I have a couple of cases under the bed, but the way I've been shooting it, & now that I have another gun that needs it, I NEED more.
    I want to try it out on the revolvers, since the DW has been beaten by the SW 17 with Aguila Extra & CCI Mini-Mags.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WebSnyper View Post
    Now, that's funny...

And regarding this:
    I think your definition of impulse buy is a bit different than most...

That said, I do the same. Usually research, etc and then buy when the price/availability intersects once I have done my research.

Yep, I was using humor there!
    My impulse buying is always backed by research ad nauseam!

User Info Menu

I ordered these grips last night.
    Rubber or Wood, plastic not acceptable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post

Done! Thanks again!

Expert

User Info Menu

My dad had a Beretta model 76 that I grew up shooting with him. He used it for indoor target shooting during the winter months. It was stolen when his house was broken into and he missed that pistol. I bought him a new Beretta 87 after they were introduced. Itís one of his favorites now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DocIndy View Post
    My dad had a Beretta model 76 that I grew up shooting with him.
    He used it for indoor target shooting during the winter months. It was stolen when his house was broken into and he missed that pistol.
    I bought him a new Beretta 87 after they were introduced.
    Itís one of his favorites now.

Good to know!
    I'm curious as to what other semi-autos he outshoots with the 87T.
    Also, does he use Standard Velocity as Beretta recommends b/c HV will damage the 87T (like the SW 41).

User Info Menu

For you gunsmithing types out there: what damage happens to a gun when HV ammo is used in one requiring SV?
    I assume it is different from the damage of dry firing, where I've read that can destroy the firing pin and over time will also preen the barrel face so as that ammo will no longer chamber.

I've learned in conversations that the light or no strikes I'm experiencing is probably b//c it is gunked up & (firing pin area especially).
    The FTF % did decrease by more than half after I cleaned/oiled it, but I don't know how to take apart the firing pin "assembly."
    I'm taking it to a gunsmith where I bought the Beretta 87T this am for that to be checked out.

User Info Menu

The guy whose gun I bought got back with me & I got the answers to my questions.
    Gun was bought a year ago in 2019.

The older man who owned it (meaning older than myself ), only put 200 rounds through it & said he had no issue with the ammo he used.
    He said he used Federal SV (black & white box) that comes in packs of 325.
    He said if he would have had my issues with it he would have thrown it out into the yard (love the communication style of old men).

I don't know whether the firing pin & its chamber can be gummed up in only 200 rds., if let sit for a year?
    I'll continue to shoot it to see if it gets better or worse.
    Since I'm not going to tackle taking the gun down to the firing pin & out of its chamber & cleaning both I'll find someone to do it if necessary.
    It's over my pay grade.

Last edited by doddg; 05-30-2020 at 20:18.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast