• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have been talking about wanting to try out this gun for a long time.
    In the past 3 weeks, with the assistance of a member sending me not one but 2 two websites :thumbsup: showing the Beretta for sale, as well as my own discovery that led to nowhere (Armslist).
    Even searching for private sellers in the whole U.S. on Armslist, there is only 4 available now, with only 2 more from vendors.
    I went to Gunbroker where they had 6 used ones in for $850, but with adding in all the fees including a $40 lifetime warranty (sounded good after my experiences), it was more like $1025 which caused me to back off.

The perfect storm:
    - I was traveling past a LGS that I haven't gone into in months.
    - I had been researching the 87 intensively.
    - I just came from the bank and had money in my pocket.
    - I have a "new" attitude about having nicer guns (within reason).

I had given up on the Beretta 87 b/c of price & availability.
    The LGS owner had a Beretta 87 on consignment from his FIL, b/c he couldn't shoot anymore b/c of arthritis.
    Impulse buying at its best.

I put 30 mags through it at the range, adjusting the sights, but its got a long rail on it begging for an optic.
    I'll to put an extra handgun scope on unless I get a used red dot (or another new Dagger Defense red dot I like on another gun: $50).
    There were some FTFire issues b/c of light or no stikes on the rim, so I'll have to address that.
    I've went through this with my SW 41 as well and had a member replace the "internals" & its fine.

Out of the 30 mags/300 rounds I shot today, I have no range pics b/c I used an old target that I drew 40 "+" on the back to get it the sights good to go. :dunno:
    uLaRhld.jpg
    r3Gh1QJ.jpg
    EE3dzFu.jpg
    f3pJ0MF.jpg
    nQmVqyn.jpg
    Wp2pJVn.jpg
    loMaSYV.jpg
    nNgAuGu.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Nice score doddg! I'd never even heard of these. Looks like a beast!

Coats of the white fluorescent paint is drying on the front sight now, preparing for the red top coat so I can actually see. :)
    It's begging or a red front sight, which Dawson has for $50, but since I plan to put an optic on it, I won't go there.
    I've already ordered some wood grips for it: black plastic grips should be outlawed. :nono:
    Rubber or wood should be law. :dunno:

Can't wait to find out if a good cleaning will take away the light/no strikes (FTF). :popcorn:
    Do I get another firing pin?
    If some of the strikes are good, I don't understand: it happened with the SW 41 also.
    Or is there another issue going on ?

I found out that the Beretta 87 is like the SW 41 in that it is made for Standard Velocity: HV not recommended. :coffee:
    But that shouldn't have anything to do with the light/no strikes on the rim. :scratch:

I tried 4 brands of ammo:
    - Remington Golden Bullets HV = 4 FTF/5 mags
    - Aguila Super Extra (Eley Prime) HV = 2 FTF/4 mags
    - CCI Mini-Mags & CCI HV = 19 FTF/15 mags
    - CCI Standard Velocity = 2 FTF/6 mags

Total = 27 FTF/30 mags :(

Last edited:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Sounds like a good cleaning is in order at least. I have had a couple of these and don't recall having any significant failures. I am glad you found one at a good price and hope you enjoy it. I am jealous of your range time. It is sunny and mid seventies here this weekend, think I need to burn a few hundred at the range.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I have been talking about wanting to try out this gun for a long time.
    In the past 3 weeks, with the assistance of a member sending me not one but 2 two websites :thumbsup: showing the Beretta for sale, as well as my own discovery that led to nowhere (Armslist).
    Even searching for private sellers in the whole U.S. on Armslist, there is only 4 available now, with only 2 more from vendors.
    I went to Gunbroker where they had 6 used ones in for $850, but with adding in all the fees including a $40 lifetime warranty (sounded good after my experiences), it was more like $1025 which caused me to back off.

The perfect storm:
    - I was traveling past a LGS that I haven't gone into in months.
    - I had been researching the 87 intensively.
    - I just came from the bank and had money in my pocket.
    - I have a "new" attitude about having nicer guns (within reason).

I had given up on the Beretta 87 b/c of price & availability.
    The LGS owner had a Beretta 87 on consignment from his FIL, b/c he couldn't shoot anymore b/c of arthritis.

I put 30 mags through it at the range, adjusting the sights, but its got a long rail on it begging for an optic.
    I'll to put an extra handgun scope on unless I get a used red dot (or another new Dagger Defense red dot I like on another gun: $50).
    There were some FTFire issues b/c of light or no stikes on the rim, so I'll have to address that.
    I've went through this with my SW 41 as well and had a member replace the "internals" & its fine.

Out of the 30 mags/300 rounds I shot today, I have no range pics b/c I used an old target that I drew 40 "+" on the back to get it the sights good to go. :dunno:

It was me I was the bad influence.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I must come forward as another victim of drillsgt's "help". His actions forced me against my will to purchase a Beretta 92X compact at a great price. #justonemore

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Sounds like a good cleaning is in order at least.
    I have had a couple of these and don't recall having any significant failures.
    I am glad you found one at a good price and hope you enjoy it. I am jealous of your range time.
    It is sunny and mid seventies here this weekend, think I need to burn a few hundred at the range.

I'm not worried about it either.
    I'm going to call Mike at the LGS to ask some of my usual questions that I did not do my due deligence in asking (if I've ever bought a gun from you: you get it :dunno:).
    As far as the price, it wasn't a "bargain basement" by any means, & I should have made a $50 lower offer & just left, especially since it was on consignment & Mike was just doing a favor for his FIL.
    But, I wanted it.
    :dunno:
    I knew this was probably going to be my only shot at buying one locally (never seen one in a shop).
    If the 87 is "all that" & it beats out my Buckmark, Mark 3 & 4: they can be sold to support the 87 habit. :rockwoot:
    I'm not going to be in a hurry like when I retired a year ago (seems like 5 yrs.).
    I can't keep up the range time, going through 2500 rounds in a week, since I'd burn through my "ample" .22LR ammo supply in only 6 months. :laugh:
    When I quit buying guns that must be vetted, I'll settle into using a more moderate number of rounds like I do with my other calibers.

It was me I was the bad influence.

Yes, I wanted to call you out! :D
    You couldn't stop at 1 but had to recommend 2 great websites of availability!
    :ugh:
    I spent 2 whole evenings doing nothing but 87 research, even so close as to go through the entire Bud's gun buying pages so as to find the real final price.
    :nono:
    $855 = $1015 gun.

I do hold you personally responsible for me having done my research so I would recognize a fair deal when I saw it.
    :lmfao:
    A fair deal to me means one where I can sell it for what I paid for itor suffer only a $25 - $50 loss b/c I wanted a particular thing bad & was willing to buy new or pay dearly.
    :)

I must come forward as another victim of drillsgt's "help".
    His actions forced me against my will to purchase a Beretta 92X compact at a great price. #justonemore

That's so funny! :rofl:
    I don't think he is repentative, but takes joy in his brothers going down the path. :ingo:
    Nothing more fun than encouraging other to spend their money! :spend:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Drillsgt made me go to Highsmith's and buy a .32. And then he made me come all the way home, turn around and go back and buy another one all in the same day! He's a bad, bad man! :):

iu

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

When I quit buying guns that must be vetted, I'll settle into using a more moderate number of rounds like I do with my other calibers.

Now, that's funny...

And regarding this:

doddg said:

I think your definition of impulse buy is a bit different than most...

word.jpg

That said, I do the same. Usually research, etc and then buy when the price/availability intersects once I have done my research.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I wanted to put a scope on the 87, but I hadn't planned on going to the range today, but after cleaning it I wanted to test it for improvement in the FTF (9%) I had yesterday more than I wanted to go for accuracy using a scope: there's always another day. :dunno:

2nd range day with Beretta 87. First day I didn't post pics: I don't post all the targets! :laugh:
    I had 6/200 FTFire issues (3%) today, instead of 27/300 (9%) yesterday.
    Shot Aguila Super-Extra which was the most accurate with 00 FTF issues.
    CCI Mini-Mags with 4 of the FTF.
    CCI Standard Velocity with 2 FTF.

I read today where the Beretta 87, like the SW 41 are to be fed SV, not HV.
    You can do it, like I used the Aguila Super Extra today, but it will wear much quicker.
    Good to know.

You can see that the Aguila was more accurate than CCI SV whether 21' or 30' or SA or DA.
    But, I shouldn't be running it.
    6a0qV52.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    First thing to do with a new used "sat around for years gun" is take it apart, deep clean it to remove the grunge and varnished oil and lube it up and THEN take it to the range.

As for .22 SV ammo, go here and buy a case (5000 rds) of CCI SV for $0.052/round shipped. You can thank me later.:)

Lesson learned!
    Thanks for the tip on the SV, I will order NOW. :rockwoot:
    I have a couple of cases under the bed, but the way I've been shooting it, & now that I have another gun that needs it, I NEED more.
    I want to try it out on the revolvers, since the DW has been beaten by the SW 17 with Aguila Extra & CCI Mini-Mags.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Now, that's funny...

And regarding this:
    I think your definition of impulse buy is a bit different than most...

word.jpg

That said, I do the same. Usually research, etc and then buy when the price/availability intersects once I have done my research.

Yep, I was using humor there! :laugh6:
    My impulse buying is always backed by research ad nauseam! :coffee:

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    My dad had a Beretta model 76 that I grew up shooting with him. He used it for indoor target shooting during the winter months. It was stolen when his house was broken into and he missed that pistol. I bought him a new Beretta 87 after they were introduced. It’s one of his favorites now.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My dad had a Beretta model 76 that I grew up shooting with him.
    He used it for indoor target shooting during the winter months. It was stolen when his house was broken into and he missed that pistol.
    I bought him a new Beretta 87 after they were introduced.
    It’s one of his favorites now.

Good to know! :thumbsup:
    I'm curious as to what other semi-autos he outshoots with the 87T.
    Also, does he use Standard Velocity as Beretta recommends b/c HV will damage the 87T (like the SW 41).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    For you gunsmithing types out there: what damage happens to a gun when HV ammo is used in one requiring SV?
    I assume it is different from the damage of dry firing, where I've read that can destroy the firing pin and over time will also preen the barrel face so as that ammo will no longer chamber.

I've learned in conversations that the light or no strikes I'm experiencing is probably b//c it is gunked up & (firing pin area especially).
    The FTF % did decrease by more than half after I cleaned/oiled it, but I don't know how to take apart the firing pin "assembly."
    I'm taking it to a gunsmith where I bought the Beretta 87T this am for that to be checked out.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The guy whose gun I bought got back with me & I got the answers to my questions.
    Gun was bought a year ago in 2019.

The older man who owned it (meaning older than myself :)), only put 200 rounds through it & said he had no issue with the ammo he used.
    He said he used Federal SV (black & white box) that comes in packs of 325.
    He said if he would have had my issues with it he would have thrown it out into the yard (love the communication style of old men).

I don't know whether the firing pin & its chamber can be gummed up in only 200 rds., if let sit for a year?
    I'll continue to shoot it to see if it gets better or worse.
    Since I'm not going to tackle taking the gun down to the firing pin & out of its chamber & cleaning both I'll find someone to do it if necessary.
    It's over my pay grade. :dunno:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom