Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

User Info Menu

Beretta 87 Target .22LR

I have been talking about wanting to try out this gun for a long time.
    In the past 3 weeks, with the assistance of a member sending me not one but 2 two websites showing the Beretta for sale, as well as my own discovery that led to nowhere (Armslist).
    Even searching for private sellers in the whole U.S. on Armslist, there is only 4 available now, with only 2 more from vendors.
    I went to Gunbroker where they had 6 used ones in for $850, but with adding in all the fees including a $40 lifetime warranty (sounded good after my experiences), it was more like $1025 which caused me to back off.

The perfect storm:
    - I was traveling past a LGS that I haven't gone into in months.
    - I had been researching the 87 intensively.
    - I just came from the bank and had money in my pocket.
    - I have a "new" attitude about having nicer guns (within reason).

I had given up on the Beretta 87 b/c of price & availability.
    The LGS owner had a Beretta 87 on consignment from his FIL, b/c he couldn't shoot anymore b/c of arthritis.
    Impulse buying at its best.

I put 30 mags through it at the range, adjusting the sights, but its got a long rail on it begging for an optic.
    I'll to put an extra handgun scope on unless I get a used red dot (or another new Dagger Defense red dot I like on another gun: $50).
    There were some FTFire issues b/c of light or no stikes on the rim, so I'll have to address that.
    I've went through this with my SW 41 as well and had a member replace the "internals" & its fine.

Out of the 30 mags/300 rounds I shot today, I have no range pics b/c I used an old target that I drew 40 "+" on the back to get it the sights good to go.
    Last edited by doddg; 05-28-2020 at 22:06.

User Info Menu

Nice score doddg! I'd never even heard of these. Looks like a beast!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy View Post
    Nice score doddg! I'd never even heard of these. Looks like a beast!

Coats of the white fluorescent paint is drying on the front sight now, preparing for the red top coat so I can actually see.
    It's begging or a red front sight, which Dawson has for $50, but since I plan to put an optic on it, I won't go there.
    I've already ordered some wood grips for it: black plastic grips should be outlawed.
    Rubber or wood should be law.

Can't wait to find out if a good cleaning will take away the light/no strikes (FTF).
    Do I get another firing pin?
    If some of the strikes are good, I don't understand: it happened with the SW 41 also.
    Or is there another issue going on ?

I found out that the Beretta 87 is like the SW 41 in that it is made for Standard Velocity: HV not recommended.
    But that shouldn't have anything to do with the light/no strikes on the rim.

I tried 4 brands of ammo:
    - Remington Golden Bullets HV = 4 FTF/5 mags
    - Aguila Super Extra (Eley Prime) HV = 2 FTF/4 mags
    - CCI Mini-Mags & CCI HV = 19 FTF/15 mags
    - CCI Standard Velocity = 2 FTF/6 mags

Total = 27 FTF/30 mags
    Last edited by doddg; 06-02-2020 at 19:20.

User Info Menu

Sounds like a good cleaning is in order at least. I have had a couple of these and don't recall having any significant failures. I am glad you found one at a good price and hope you enjoy it. I am jealous of your range time. It is sunny and mid seventies here this weekend, think I need to burn a few hundred at the range.
    "If you are mad as hell and aren't gonna take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside. If you're the only one with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet"

"I saw a movie once where only the police and military had guns. It was called Schindler's List."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by doddg View Post
    I have been talking about wanting to try out this gun for a long time.
    In the past 3 weeks, with the assistance of a member sending me not one but 2 two websites showing the Beretta for sale, as well as my own discovery that led to nowhere (Armslist).
    Even searching for private sellers in the whole U.S. on Armslist, there is only 4 available now, with only 2 more from vendors.
    I went to Gunbroker where they had 6 used ones in for $850, but with adding in all the fees including a $40 lifetime warranty (sounded good after my experiences), it was more like $1025 which caused me to back off.

The perfect storm:
    - I was traveling past a LGS that I haven't gone into in months.
    - I had been researching the 87 intensively.
    - I just came from the bank and had money in my pocket.
    - I have a "new" attitude about having nicer guns (within reason).

I had given up on the Beretta 87 b/c of price & availability.
    The LGS owner had a Beretta 87 on consignment from his FIL, b/c he couldn't shoot anymore b/c of arthritis.

I put 30 mags through it at the range, adjusting the sights, but its got a long rail on it begging for an optic.
    I'll to put an extra handgun scope on unless I get a used red dot (or another new Dagger Defense red dot I like on another gun: $50).
    There were some FTFire issues b/c of light or no stikes on the rim, so I'll have to address that.
    I've went through this with my SW 41 as well and had a member replace the "internals" & its fine.

Out of the 30 mags/300 rounds I shot today, I have no range pics b/c I used an old target that I drew 40 "+" on the back to get it the sights good to go.
    It was me I was the bad influence.

User Info Menu

I must come forward as another victim of drillsgt's "help". His actions forced me against my will to purchase a Beretta 92X compact at a great price. #justonemore
    "If you are mad as hell and aren't gonna take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside. If you're the only one with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet"

"I saw a movie once where only the police and military had guns. It was called Schindler's List."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snorko View Post
    Sounds like a good cleaning is in order at least.
    I have had a couple of these and don't recall having any significant failures.
    I am glad you found one at a good price and hope you enjoy it. I am jealous of your range time.
    It is sunny and mid seventies here this weekend, think I need to burn a few hundred at the range.
    I'm not worried about it either.
    I'm going to call Mike at the LGS to ask some of my usual questions that I did not do my due deligence in asking (if I've ever bought a gun from you: you get it ).
    As far as the price, it wasn't a "bargain basement" by any means, & I should have made a $50 lower offer & just left, especially since it was on consignment & Mike was just doing a favor for his FIL.
    But, I wanted it.

I knew this was probably going to be my only shot at buying one locally (never seen one in a shop).
    If the 87 is "all that" & it beats out my Buckmark, Mark 3 & 4: they can be sold to support the 87 habit.
    I'm not going to be in a hurry like when I retired a year ago (seems like 5 yrs.).
    I can't keep up the range time, going through 2500 rounds in a week, since I'd burn through my "ample" .22LR ammo supply in only 6 months.
    When I quit buying guns that must be vetted, I'll settle into using a more moderate number of rounds like I do with my other calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by drillsgt View Post
    It was me I was the bad influence.
    Yes, I wanted to call you out!
    You couldn't stop at 1 but had to recommend 2 great websites of availability!

I spent 2 whole evenings doing nothing but 87 research, even so close as to go through the entire Bud's gun buying pages so as to find the real final price.

$855 = $1015 gun.

I do hold you personally responsible for me having done my research so I would recognize a fair deal when I saw it.

A fair deal to me means one where I can sell it for what I paid for itor suffer only a $25 - $50 loss b/c I wanted a particular thing bad & was willing to buy new or pay dearly.

Quote Originally Posted by snorko View Post
    I must come forward as another victim of drillsgt's "help".
    His actions forced me against my will to purchase a Beretta 92X compact at a great price. #justonemore
    That's so funny!
    I don't think he is repentative, but takes joy in his brothers going down the path.
    Nothing more fun than encouraging other to spend their money!

User Info Menu

Drillsgt made me go to Highsmith's and buy a .32. And then he made me come all the way home, turn around and go back and buy another one all in the same day! He's a bad, bad man!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy View Post
    Drillsgt made me go to Highsmith's and buy a .32. And then he made me come all the way home, turn around and go back and buy another one all in the same day! He's a bad, bad man!

I guess I am a bad influence lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by doddg View Post

When I quit buying guns that must be vetted, I'll settle into using a more moderate number of rounds like I do with my other calibers.
    Now, that's funny...

And regarding this:

Quote Originally Posted by doddg
    I think your definition of impulse buy is a bit different than most...

That said, I do the same. Usually research, etc and then buy when the price/availability intersects once I have done my research.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_N_Stein
    I am trying to turn every thread I involve myself in into a **** show.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast