Considering a Pistol Caliber Carbine...which is best?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Considering getting a pistol caliber carbine and was wondering what others had, why they selected the one they chose, which caliber, and why?

Looking at the following and weighing out differences:

a) Freedom Ordinance FX-9 with an 8.5" barrel...takes Glock mags...cannot swap out trigger.
    b) CMMG Banshee...8.5" barrel...takes Glock mags...can swap the trigger out!
    c) Ruger PC-Charger 9mm Pistol...takes Glock or Ruger mags...6.5" barrel...no trigger swap.
    d) Just Right Pistol-TD 9mm pistol...6.5" barrel...can swap out trigger.

Anything you can offer that is true, positive, negative, etc. so as to help develop a better picture of each would be helpful.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have an FX-9. I picked it up at the recommendation of some trusted folks on INGO. Last round bolt hold open is nice. Made in Indiana. No hiccups with mine. I've only used OEM Glock mags. Good price point. I did swap out the included KAK blade for an SBA3.
    Added some Magpul BUIS, and an angled fore grip and a red dot.

The Banshee looks nice, but price point was quite a bit higher.

I would have liked to seen a Foxtrot Mike in person as the price point looks good and comes with an SBA3. They AR available on PrimaryArms.com

Last edited:

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have the FX-9 and have been very happy with it, run ETS 33rd and 21rd mags. My sister purchased the same gun for her first home protection firearm and she also really enjoys the platform.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have the Just Right Carbine, Glock mags. Very versatile and they make conversion kits so that you can convert to several different calibers and the barrels are threaded so you can run a suppresor if you have one with no mods.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Considering getting a pistol caliber carbine and was wondering what others had, why they selected the one they chose, which caliber, and why?

Looking at the following and weighing out differences:

a) Freedom Ordinance FX-9 with an 8.5" barrel...takes Glock mags...cannot swap out trigger.

Yes you can change the trigger in a fx9 I know a few who’ve dropped in hyper fire triggers and I’m running a rise armament trigger in mine!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I bought the Ruger PC Carbine in 9mm.
    I was originally looking for a 22 magnum semiautomatic then noticed I can buy 9mm for less then started looking into 9mm Carbines. Ruger got the nod because of the changeable mag well. I really like that. I have the Glock mag well installed right now. Glock 9mm mags are plentiful. It was originally bought for varmint/SHTF hunting/self defense because of the plentiful amount of ammo that is around the country and could be bartered for if need be.

The accuracy is very good I've only shot out to 50 yards with it messing around but hit a 6" diamond steel target every shot with cheap ammo.

Another reason I choose Ruger was the price and Ruger makes good firearms.

Only thing I don't like about the Carbine is the weight. However, if you go with the pistol version that should drop the weight by several pounds.

I only have 400rd through my PC 9. Wolf steel case 115gr, Hornady XTP 124gr, Federal HST 147gr, Winchester white box 115gr, Federal Syntech Defense 138gr. It shot them all no problems. I use Pmag 17rd Glock 17 mag, and those 33rd Korean Glock 9mm mags. All worked well.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I bought the Ruger PC Carbine in 9mm.
    I was originally looking for a 22 magnum semiautomatic then noticed I can buy 9mm for less then started looking into 9mm Carbines. Ruger got the nod because of the changeable mag well. I really like that. I have the Glock mag well installed right now. Glock 9mm mags are plentiful. It was originally bought for varmint/SHTF hunting/self defense because of the plentiful amount of ammo that is around the country and could be bartered for if need be.

The accuracy is very good I've only shot out to 50 yards with it messing around but hit a 6" diamond steel target every shot with cheap ammo.

Another reason I choose Ruger was the price and Ruger makes good firearms.

Only thing I don't like about the Carbine is the weight. However, if you go with the pistol version that should drop the weight by several pounds.

I only have 400rd through my PC 9. Wolf steel case 115gr, Hornady XTP 124gr, Federal HST 147gr, Winchester white box 115gr, Federal Syntech Defense 138gr. It shot them all no problems. I use Pmag 17rd Glock 17 mag, and those 33rd Korean Glock 9mm mags. All worked well.

Same here no issues with mine and am probably close to 900ish rounds majority my reloads through it.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Stribog!

Way superior IMO than AR stuff.

Agreed. Takes ar triggers too.

20200601110509.jpg

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    It's not a battle rifle, but I'm impressed with my Hi-Point carbine in 10mm.
    I know, it's still a Hi-Point...

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    It's not a battle rifle, but I'm impressed with my Hi-Point carbine in 10mm.
    I know, it's still a Hi-Point...

My buddy uses a 10mm Hi point Carbine for deer hunting he usually bags one every year with it. If it works for the intended purpose who cares.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Some good info...thanks everyone!
    I'd never come across the Stribog...interesting-looking gun, but if it shoots well, why not?
    I've been leaning towards the FX-9, but was told I couldn't/shouldn't swap the trigger out...but sounds like I can and will be okay?
    I'm leaning towards the Just Right as I could swap the components and still keep shooting...and price point is good!
    Definitely on a learning curve with this concept!

Q: Does anyone shoot +P+ through their PCC???

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Some good info...thanks everyone!
    I'd never come across the Stribog...interesting-looking gun, but if it shoots well, why not?
    I've been leaning towards the FX-9, but was told I couldn't/shouldn't swap the trigger out...but sounds like I can and will be okay?
    I'm leaning towards the Just Right as I could swap the components and still keep shooting...and price point is good!
    Definitely on a learning curve with this concept!

Q: Does anyone shoot +P+ through their PCC???

Yes, I have shot +P+ in my Just Right, the performance was not worth the extra cost shooting +P+ over +P. That 16 inch barrel lets a standard 9mm get pushed down the barrel at some very good velocities.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I was considering a Ruger PC, but money was tight, found a Kel-tec Sub 2000 for $350 plus shipping, and FFL transfer, I've heard some are hit or miss. Mine has about 200 rounds so far, runs good, and it folds to fit in a backpack, which I have taken to carrying with me due to recent events, 2 33 round mags, plus 1 15 round in the gun, should be enough to get home to my long guns.....

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Already been said, generally no need for +p with the extra barrel length.

All pcc's get chosey with hollow points. All of them have some they feed and others they won't. Any person that has told me x gun shots everything fine that went out shooting with me later had had to eat crow at least once.

Shoot the stribog and you won't want anything else in its price range or below.

Top Bottom