• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WitchKing575

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2020
    Evansville
    I was wondering what y'all thought of putting a comp on semi-auto handguns (9,40,45,10mm) and what are your experiences with using comped pistols. What would you veiw as positive and some negative drawbacks ect.

I've just been perusing the thought of comping a g17 and wanted to hear real world feedback from people

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well...…

10mm custom 1 off hand made comp and it works.
    7Bev164.jpg

Another custom 1 off on a 45
    89LEMbh.jpg

10mm 2011...….
    yuFEW8F.jpg

I have more. No G****s though.
    Yes, they do work if they are done well.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    They aren't pleasant for anyone but the shooter. They do work. Holsters can be a problem.

It's also a pita when you need to clean it, thankfully glocks are superior and rarely if ever need cleaned.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I have a 19C and a 23C and they dont get shot much. But I do keep one in range bag for when someone with an sbr with a brake decides to kill steel on the 25 yd line sitting at a bench or standing between them....
    Glock C's really work well with the new curved metal roofs that were installed.

WitchKing575

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2020
    Evansville
    Well...…

10mm custom 1 off hand made comp and it works.

Another custom 1 off on a 45

10mm 2011...….

I have more. No G****s though.
    Yes, they do work if they are done well.

I just wanted to say that those are some beautiful looking guns.

They aren't pleasant for anyone but the shooter. They do work. Holsters can be a problem.

It's also a pita when you need to clean it, thankfully glocks are superior and rarely if ever need cleaned.

I'm not to worried about holsters since my G17 rocks a surefire x300 so as long as its not wider then the slide i should be good to go. Thank you for bringing up the fact that the experience for people by the shooter will be negatively effected since I mainly shoot at indoor ranges that is something to consider.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I just wanted to say that those are some beautiful looking guns.

I'm not to worried about holsters since my G17 rocks a surefire x300 so as long as its not wider then the slide i should be good to go. Thank you for bringing up the fact that the experience for people by the shooter will be negatively effected since I mainly shoot at indoor ranges that is something to consider.

Thanks. I don't shoot indoors. To many ****ing idiots for my blood so my AR's sporting breaks and my comped 10mm's do not bother folks. I would take that into consideration if I did frequent the indoor facility's.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    I have the PMM comp and barrel on my unity atom g17. Definitely makes the gun easier to shoot. Cleaning is slightly harder, but it’s really not an issue. On Friday me and a buddy were ringing 2/3 ipsc steel at 100yds with it doing pretty quick follow up shots with ease.

EDIT: I have not had any complaints about the gun being annoying. PMM is different with their comps in the fact that they do a single port out the top. They do not use side ports. My buddy has the zev comp(which has side ports as well as top) on his oz9, and it doesn’t bother me with ear pro on....

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have the PMM comp and barrel on my unity atom g17. Definitely makes the gun easier to shoot. Cleaning is slightly harder, but it’s really not an issue. On Friday me and a buddy were ringing 2/3 ipsc steel at 100yds with it doing pretty quick follow up shots with ease.

EDIT: I have not had any complaints about the gun being annoying. PMM is different with their comps in the fact that they do a single port out the top. They do not use side ports. My buddy has the zev comp(which has side ports as well as top) on his oz9, and it doesn’t bother me with ear pro on....

Where are you located churchmouse? You can take mine for a spin if your in NWI.

If you know where the Indy 500 track is I am very close. I do appreciate the offer.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I carry Glock 19C every day and have for several years, works great and does reduce recoil. Occasionally carry a G 45 MOS that duplicates the factory comp and also what I usually shoot at the Carry gun match. IMHO nothing compares to this setup for reducing recoil.

ps46Bhz.jpg

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    I carry Glock 19C every day and have for several years, works great and does reduce recoil. Occasionally carry a G 45 MOS that duplicates the factory comp and also what I usually shoot at the Carry gun match. IMHO nothing compares to this setup for reducing recoil.

ps46Bhz.jpg

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]

Nice piece, you use the 2moa dot or the eotech style reticle in holosun? I like the RMR but i think as soon as they release the 507K ill probably grab one for my 365xl, maybe ill put a PMM comp on that as well!

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    i7LDBmS.jpg

Have a jarvis comp on my PPQ.

Works well for me, but it took some experimenting to find a combination of torque and threadlocker to keep it from loosening when shooting a lot of rounds.

Stays nice and flat, and I was able to use a heat gun to get my holster to mold to the comp. I carry it daily.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Nice piece, you use the 2moa dot or the eotech style reticle in holosun? I like the RMR but i think as soon as they release the 507K ill probably grab one for my 365xl, maybe ill put a PMM comp on that as well!
    I don't care for the 30 MOA circle setup so I opted for the 407 because it was less expensive and I like the 2.5 MOA dot.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    For a range, hunting, or competition guns comps are fine. For a defensive handgun, I don't want hot gas and particles sprayed in my face if I have to use it from a retention position.

QBall

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2020
    New Salisbury
    I finished a "Roland Special" earlier this year. Glock 19 with a KKM match barrel and 4 port comp.
    I noted some caveats with the comp.
    1: With normal (weak) 115 grain ammunition it wouldn't cycle reliably, even with a light mainspring. I loaded up 100 rounds of 125 grain ball with a max (from an OLD manual) load of Blue Dot. Those loosened it up somewhat, now it cycles light commercial 115 grain ammo fine.
    2: With commercial loads I really don't notice much difference between the comped G19 and my uncomped G19.
    3: With hot loads the compensator does reduce muzzle flip somewhat.
    4: As an aside, the KKM barrel and RMR are an awesome combo, especially for old eyes. 50 yard hits on an 8 inch gong are easy.
    Q

Top Bottom