• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Like many others I am evaluating a braced pistol-in-a-backpack for commuting, etc. This will not be left in the car. I have a Pak -9 which uses Beretta mags but I have not shot it nearly enough to establish reliability. Also have an 8" AR pistol in 9mm but the length is at the high end. My Mini Draco with folding brace is awesome, reliable and fits in a standard day pack but with the brace it is about 7-7 1/2 pounds.

The CZ Scorpion Evo3 S2 Micro is short at 14" folded/collapsed and under 5.5 pounds. I have a mess of PSA mags for my AKV-9 so that is covered. My question is the former version had a collapsible brace and the current one has a not too thick looking right side folding brace. The folder looks a little more comfortable but the collapsing keeps it a little thinner and, as a lefty, makes shooting it undeployed easier.

For those with experience with these models, which brace do you prefer?

ETA: Well it has been a few months and I finally made it to the range with my CZ Scorpion Micro and love it. I haven't had such an enjoyable shooting experience in a long time. Per many recommendations I replaced the safeties with HB extended AK style ones, new grip, extended charging handle flipped to the right side, and an enlarged paddle mag release. I got the springs for the trigger but have not messed with them yet. The trigger is acceptable but the springs will go in soon to lighten it up. Topped it with a Vortex Sparc II and shot away.

Accurate, minimal recoil, and no malfunctions whatsoever. I had a 7" AR pistol in 9mm with me as well and it seemed to have heavier felt recoil and was just not as fun. This is a keeper for sure and will be both a fun range toy and a backpack travel gun. Just a great day shooting overall.

Last edited:

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    If you want any kind of cheek weld while shouldering your brace, the collapsible bars are not it. The factory sights for that model are also the low ones. Trying to hold it up to your face and use the irons was not ideal.

The side folding SBA prevents you from firing with the brace folded. Well, more than once anyway. The brass gets bounced back into the ejection port.

Original Model: Collapsible stock, more compact, shoot while collapsed, poor cheek weld, super low CZ sights.

Updated Model: Folding SBA stock, can't shoot with it folded, but more comfortable IMO. Cheek weld is good, newer model shipping with Magpul BUS.

Comfort or compact?

A trigger return spring from HB Industries should also in order.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Excellent feedback, thank you. The folding version I found in stock does indeed have MBUS. New version is about 2" shorter when folded as well, though slightly thicker.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I have the longboy pistol with folding brace. With a RDS on the rail on a true co-witness-on-an-AR mount - it's perfect for me and my glasses-wearing self. I've toyed with the idea of a shorter handguard that'll expose the muzzle instead of being tucked in - but I don't think I'll see any true weight savings unless I were to also get a shorter barrel.

That said, I'm a definite fan of the Scorpion. I may very well upgrade the trigger pull somehow. It's stout, but not horrible. (I also have largish hands and fair grip strength)

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    The trigger return spring (something around $13 with shipping) will cut the trigger pull weight about in half.

As long as your trigger pack doesn't have a welded-in screw, it is a pretty easy change, it takes about 20 minutes.

There is a point where things get a little fiddly, but watching a couple of videos really helps.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Karl is spot on. I have used both braces quite a bit and have a love/hate with the collapsible.

If you aren't going for the most compact, the folding is far superior in comfort.

The collapsible has a horrible cheek weld, but I have learned to work with it and having a red dot seems to help. While it can be shot without being deployed, it is a little slower to deploy than the folder. I kept the collapsible because it is a smaller package.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Great input from everyone! I like most everything about the folder over the collapsible except the inability to fire while closed. This is not a major factor though as if I am in that much of a hurry it is pistol time.

I'm gonna run a few more rounds through the Pak-9 this weekend but a Scorpion is likely to b ordered no matter what. I really like that the Pak-9 uses Beretta 92 mags as I have a large number of 20 & 30 rounders. My 9mm AR takes M&P9 mags which is what I carry but higher capacity ones are non OEM only.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Assuming I order one, which will likely happen today, what are the suggested out of the box modifications? Trigger spring as noted above, safety selector I assume. What about an extended mag release or changing the grip? I will likely go with a Vortex Spitfire for an RDS. It's a little bigger than the Sparc but I like the prism aspect. Also plan on putting a

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Assuming I order one, which will likely happen today, what are the suggested out of the box modifications? Trigger spring as noted above, safety selector I assume. What about an extended mag release or changing the grip? I will likely go with a Vortex Spitfire for an RDS. It's a little bigger than the Sparc but I like the prism aspect. Also plan on putting a
    https://hbindustries.net/store/shop/cz-scorpion-prostock-charging-handle/
    https://hbindustries.net/store/shop/cz-scorpion-evo-3-ak-style-safety-selector/
    https://hbindustries.net/store/shop/cz-scorpion-evo-3-s1-reduced-weight-trigger-spring-kit/
    https://hbindustries.net/store/shop/cz-scorpion-evo-3-theta-forward-trigger/
    https://hbindustries.net/store/shop/cz-scorpion-pakse-pathfinder/
    https://hbindustries.net/store/shop/cz-scorpion-prostock-mag-release-lever/

These are the upgrades I have done and recommend.

Red dots that I have used and liked on a Scorpion. (currently using the Romeo 5.)
    https://www.amazon.com/Sig-Sauer-SO...qid=1591720208&sprefix=sig+red,aps,158&sr=8-2
    https://www.amazon.com/HOLOSUN-HS40...qid=1591720312&sprefix=holosun,aps,169&sr=8-8

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    If you're patient and have basic Dremel/file/sandpaper skills you can save some money and just do the mod to the safety yourself.

There are several different grips available now. I didn't find the factory angle or bulbous design too appealing. They are easy to change too.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Finally ordered one a week ago, should be in today to my FFL. HB Ind. was out of stock until today on a lot of the parts I wanted but I ordered the mini AK style safety levers, spring kit, extended charging handle and larger mag release. Wanted a different grip but they were out of stock on all black models. I can't wait to let this one sit in the safe for a few months while I don't get to the range.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I hope you enjoy it when you finally get around to it!

Also hope you stocked up on plenty of 9mm before the latest shortages.

:yesway:X2

Specialized

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 97.8%
    87   2   1
    Jan 26, 2011
    Highland, IN
    Like many others I am evaluating a braced pistol-in-a-backpack for commuting, etc. This will not be left in the car. I have a Pak -9 which uses Beretta mags but I have not shot it nearly enough to establish reliability. Also have an 8" AR pistol in 9mm but the length is at the high end. My Mini Draco with folding brace is awesome, reliable and fits in a standard day pack but with the brace it is about 7-7 1/2 pounds.

The CZ Scorpion Evo3 S2 Micro is short at 14" folded/collapsed and under 5.5 pounds. I have a mess of PSA mags for my AKV-9 so that is covered. My question is the former version had a collapsible brace and the current one has a not too thick looking right side folding brace. The folder looks a little more comfortable but the collapsing keeps it a little thinner and, as a lefty, makes shooting it undeployed easier.

For those with experience with these models, which brace do you prefer?

I'm a lefty too, and though my Scorpion isn't the micro (yet -- I have a new barrel coming shortly that'll get it there) this rig has worked great for me in my backpack and also in a messenger bag. I've had the SB brace, the tailhook, and the SB collapsible, and I much prefer the collapsible because it's thinner when stowed, deploys easily, lightweight, and (as you know) isn't awkward to deploy or wear using sling as a lefty. I actually have no issue with the cheek weld; the MRO with the brace leg against my cheek is quite comfortable and stable. For me it's been the best option.

I also installed the binary giggle option; I highly recommend it for a host of reasons, but only if you can afford lots of ammo. :-)

Attachments

• Scorpion.jpg
      Scorpion.jpg
      498.6 KB · Views: 9

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I finally made it to the range with my CZ Scorpion Micro and love it. I haven't had such an enjoyable shooting experience in a long time. Per many recommendations I replaced the safeties with HB extended AK style ones, new grip, extended charging handle flipped to the right side, and an enlarged paddle mag release. I got the springs for the trigger but have not messed with them yet. The trigger is acceptable but the springs will go in soon to lighten it up. Topped it with a Vortex Sparc II and shot away.

Accurate, minimal recoil, and no malfunctions whatsoever. I had a 7" AR pistol in 9mm with me as well and it seemed to have heavier felt recoil and was just not as fun. This is a keeper for sure and will be both a fun range toy and a backpack travel gun. Just a great day shooting overall.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I finally made it to the range with my CZ Scorpion Micro and love it. I haven't had such an enjoyable shooting experience in a long time. Per many recommendations I replaced the safeties with HB extended AK style ones, new grip, extended charging handle flipped to the right side, and an enlarged paddle mag release. I got the springs for the trigger but have not messed with them yet. The trigger is acceptable but the springs will go in soon to lighten it up. Topped it with a Vorted Sparc II and shot away.

Good to hear. I had originally not been interested in the Scorpion when I saw one (forget which model) back at the NRA show in Indy, but thinking I may be more interested than I originally thought in one. Of course, they like many other things seem to be near unobtanium currently, and not sure I could afford to feed one for long at current pricing (I'm stocked up on ammo, but I'm sure a Scorpion could eat quite a bit) . I may have to check these out further in the future.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Good to hear. I had originally not been interested in the Scorpion when I saw one (forget which model) back at the NRA show in Indy, but thinking I may be more interested than I originally thought in one. Of course, they like many other things seem to be near unobtanium currently, and not sure I could afford to feed one for long at current pricing (I'm stocked up on ammo, but I'm sure a Scorpion could eat quite a bit) . I may have to check these out further in the future.

Agreed. My first experience with one was handling a carbine at the 1500. It felt really heavy for what it was. Same reaction to the earlier pistols. The micro seems to hit that sweet spot being very small but controllable and comfortable with a brace. I went with the Yetiwurks grip which was an improvement but I still want something more vertical.

Top Bottom