What's the closest + relatively modern gun comparable to the Browning Hi-Power?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhrlaw

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2020
    Carmel
    My very first handgun (mid 90's) was a Brazilian made "FM" Hi-Power in stainless steel. I think it was the only version at the time to be made in stainless; though I have no doubt the metal and fabrication quality were no where near real FN standards. That said, the thing just felt right in my hand and was ridiculously accurate. It was easy to point and handled recoil in a way the barrel stayed on target.

I moved on and subsequent handguns tended to utilitarian plastic framed & striker fired. While those are still my go to for a functional tool, I'd like to pick up something metal framed and naturally contoured, ideally in 9mm. Either a very slim or single stack, capacity isn't my concern. The two that seem to be candidates so far are:

• Sig 225
    • CZ-75 P01

Is there anything else that should be on that eval list. Maybe one of the Beretta 92/96 versions, etc?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I'm guessing that not only with it's popularity plus it's use by the military for so long, the Beretta 92 series could be considered, but the beauty of the Browning Hi-Power is it's ability to have a long useful life, much like the other famous Browning with a seemingly endless life, the great 1911.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So, question, are you good with DA/SA vs the SA of the Hi Power? Obviously I realize that Browning has put the Hi Power out of production, but is there a reason you wouldn't just seek out a used Hi Power, since seems like this won't necessarily be an EDC from what you are saying.

Other than that, what are you looking to spend?

Couple of higher end suggestions (note I don't own any of these, but basing on comparability to Hi Power and other features you mentioned):

https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/dwx-compact//

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/edc-x9/

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    [h=2]What's the closest + relatively modern gun comparable to the Browning Hi-Power?[/h]

Depends on how one defines "comparable"?

Double stack mag 9mm? A bunch.

Another of Saive's designs? the Browning Hi-Power was one of his few designs and the last improvement of Browning's that he did before going down the rabbit hole of rifle design.

Similar in operation/mechanically? Maybe the PDRNK Type 68?

The CZ-75 is a fine weapon, an outstanding one. But is not comparable to the Hi Power unless using the widest parameters--it's 9mm, double stacked, etc.

rhrlaw

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2020
    Carmel
    I think my parameters are pretty wide, in that it's: 9mm, slim/ergonomic grip, all-metal, intuitive controls, and relatively balanced in hold/feel. I'm not looking for a SA semi-auto, though it looks like the CZ-75 w/ the safety vs decocker can be carried in condition one. Thanks to this thread I did look up the differences between the 75B, 75BD and SP01/P01's; I think being exposed to modern designs I was gravitating towards the SP01/P01 because it has a rail attachment, but for that I'm looking for out of this gun, the 75 w/ a little less nose weight is more spot on.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    My very first handgun (mid 90's) was a Brazilian made "FM" Hi-Power in stainless steel. I think it was the only version at the time to be made in stainless; though I have no doubt the metal and fabrication quality were no where near real FN standards. That said, the thing just felt right in my hand and was ridiculously accurate. It was easy to point and handled recoil in a way the barrel stayed on target.

I moved on and subsequent handguns tended to utilitarian plastic framed & striker fired. While those are still my go to for a functional tool, I'd like to pick up something metal framed and naturally contoured, ideally in 9mm. Either a very slim or single stack, capacity isn't my concern. The two that seem to be candidates so far are:

• Sig 225
    • CZ-75 P01

Is there anything else that should be on that eval list. Maybe one of the Beretta 92/96 versions, etc?

A CZ 75 with the thinner aluminum grips should have the same feel. It's not the same gun, but it will feel familiar. The trigger is probably better.

I have a couple and I have no excitement shooting them. The are mid size guns to me. And the heavy 1911's are harder to move off target. But as you said, the Browning fit your hand.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The Bulgarian Arcus 98 is basically a slightly modernized HP. They have a pretty good reputation for reliability but are kind of hard to find, though they do turn up on GB from time to time.

Top Bottom