• ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    q4XP3Vc.jpg

1) For my hands, the P10s is ergonomic perfection. Not good, not great-- PERFECT. It feels like a power tool, not a gun. I've never held a gun in this size range that was as good a fit for my hand. I don't have big hands, but the way the largest backstrap rounds out the back of the gun gives a commanding grip that inspires confidence. The texturing of the grip does the rest. They were smart enough to make the texture on the sides less aggressive so I suspect this will be easier on t-shirts when carried.

2) Soft shooting. Like noticeably less recoil than, say, a "full size" PPQ (I don't consider the PPQ to be full size, but whatever). I suspect the way the dual spring is setup has a lot to do with this, as the 2nd stage of spring is both very stiff but also only engaged at the last bit of slide travel. It works almost like a bump stop in high end off-road suspension. The potential downside here is that the gun might not be tolerant of mild loads and still cycle reliably.

3) Trigger is not what I'd call light. But it allows a clean break without disturbing the sights, something I have always struggled with in Glocks and many other pistols. Out of the box, I'm guessing upper 5# range. Takeup has a hint of grit, and then you get a slight bit of stacking in in the creep from wall to break. This is the kind of thing that after 500 rounds or so should all but disappear. I'm confident that after 500+ or so, this will be a low 5# trigger that has no grit. Reset is as short as you'd ever need.

4) It's tight/stiff when new. That said, it was 100% reliable for me and a friend even shooting my reloads. My teen daughter shooting centerfire pistol for the first time, however, induced two malfunctions that locked up the slide. Once cleared, those rounds fired fine for me. Investigation at home showed that my reloads are too long for this chamber (147 accuras at 1.08"). At home, I could induce various kinds of errors by riding slide, etc with my reloads. Could not do so with factory ammo or snap caps. The bullets are very wide and blunt, so they need to be seated shorter to feed properly.

So I'm chalking this up partly to limp wrist from a new shooter, partly to stiff new springs, and almost entirely up to hand loads that aren't in spec for this gun. The bullets were engraving before the case mouth bottomed. Oops.

Overall shooting experience is incredibly enjoyable. It didn't feel at all like "subcompact" gun at all. Heck, it's a better shooter than my P-07 was, than the G19s I've shot, than the PPQ (less recoil; PPQs have an annoying snap to them for some reason). Super flat shooting-- almost no flip.

I shoot it better than any 9mm I've tried to date. I haven't run any drills for time, but I'm the difference was enough to be outside a margin of error. With most pistols, I'm constantly adjusting my grip. Not anymore.

I didn't think I could go smaller than a G19 for carry purposes and *gain* shootability over a G19. Yet that appears to be exactly what I've lucked into here. It's both smaller AND more shootable. Fast followups are easy (so little flip, short reset, etc).

I'm NOT suggesting the P10s is a better gun categorically than the G19. That would be foolish. I am suggesting that it has some advantages for certain hand sizes and you might prefer the CZ as I do.

Obviously it needs a lot more rounds through it to demonstrate it is anywhere close to the legendary reliability of a Glock. That said, I've seen enough data points from other CZ P10 models to suggest reason for optimism on the reliability front. The guts sure as heck look beefy-- moreso than a Glock.

My Harry's Executive should be here soon enough, I'll see how it carries then. I also have a couple P10F mags (19rd) on the way from Greg Cote. I'm all-in on this, so hopefully I don't regret taking the plunge.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I've carried a P10C for about 2 years now. They are fantastic guns. I have recently picked up a P10S OR from a friend, but haven't carried it yet. It shoots very nicely, as you've said. I need to get some more trigger time in with it. The stock triggers start to irritate my trigger finger after a while, so I'll probably replace it with an HB Industries flat faced trigger, like I have on a couple of my P10Cs. As good as the stock trigger is, the HBI trigger is even better. Glad to hear you're enjoying the gun... :yesway:

Oh and there's no problem with saying the P10S is better than the G19 for you, as it's absolutely true. The P10C (and likely the P10S) are both better guns for me than the G19, or any other Glock for that matter.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    This is a great review Hohn, sounds like you've settled into a winning setup! Interesting on your reloads, as I've found my P-01 to be particular with OAL as you are describing. The only two malfunctions I've ever had with it were with WWB ammo, and I couldn't get the rounds to chamber in a Ruger Officer 1911 that day as well (so it wasn't just the CZ being picky). But go figure, my buddy's Glock 43 ate them right up.

Hope you'll come back and update this thread as you continue to put more rounds through it!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Just got back from feeding 140 more rounds of the known-too-long reloads through it—147 accuras at 1.08”. A single ftf with known “bad” ammo.

The trigger dingus does irritate the finger after several mags. Not a problem overall as once I settle on a carry load and feel confident the gun is at full reliability, I will shift back to long gun focus.

I was able to hit the ipsc torso consistently at 30y and I’m fair to middling on my best day with a pistol.

Waldojr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 22, 2020
    West
    How many fingers can you get on the grip? I think I've been hearing that it's 2 1/2 and people were wanting the 1 round extension.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    How many fingers can you get on the grip? I think I've been hearing that it's 2 1/2 and people were wanting the 1 round extension.

I don't know about a 1 round extension, but the 2 round gives a standard full hand grip for me, 2 and 1/2 fingers with the flush fit mags. Almost the same grip length of the P10C with the +2, but not quite.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    With no mag, just two fingers. Mag lets me get just enough of a 3rd finger on the baseplate to be useful.

MountieHoo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2020
    Indianapolis
    HBi triggers are great and I love them on the p10c/p10s, but I just learned (living under a rock here) that overwatch precision makes a trigger for the p10 series. I was formerly an Apex on glock fan but after I tried an overwatch precision on a glock I'm sold. PS I'm a CZ fan boy that appreciates and also owns Glocks.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I have a P10S and P10C that still have the original trigger in them, I have an HBI that I haven't installed yet, but might need to try Overwatch on the other.

MountieHoo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2020
    Indianapolis
    You're welcome. It pains me that I like the trigger on my 43x more than the p10s now, but Overwatch makes a great trigger. As someone that likes to dry fire at home one annoyance I have about the p10s and p10c is that neither of them ever actuates the snap cap on the laser training bullet. I've tried every brand available on Amazon. All of the 9mm laser bullets work on every other 9mm I have ever had, CZ hammer fired, glock, hk, Walther, sig, PCC's. For whatever the p10s and p10c have to be difficult. My p10c was CZ-UB made and the p10s is the CZ-USA made, same issue with both. If you can figure out what I'm doing wrong I'd appreciate it haha.

MountieHoo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2020
    Indianapolis
    What's weird is that I got a .380 laser training bullet and the cz p10s and p10c will activate that but because it's not a good barrel fit the laser moves with every dry fire so it's useless for self diagnosing trigger pulls. You got me on why it doesn't work.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    What's weird is that I got a .380 laser training bullet and the cz p10s and p10c will activate that but because it's not a good barrel fit the laser moves with every dry fire so it's useless for self diagnosing trigger pulls. You got me on why it doesn't work.
    Just a weird perhaps random thought, but can you try partially inserting the laser cartridge into the chamber, and then release the slide to push it the rest of the way in? My best guess is that you are manually seating it into the chamber further than the firing pin can reach. This is totally a guess, as I have (and still use) LaserLyte and more recently Taryag laser trainers, and like you both of these work in all my 9mm pistols. Makes me wonder if the P10 barrel chamber is reamed a little bit differently and the laser cartridge isn't "catching" before it goes too far in...?

If this works it may be short lived, as the first few shots striking the button will probably push the cartridge further into the chamber and out of reach of the firing pin.

MountieHoo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I thought of that in the past. I started just letting the laser bullet fall in without me pushing it in. I did notice that with the p10s/p10c when the bullet was new I would get 1 or 2 successful activations that were usually off/wobbly and not in line with the bore. After those 1 or 2 it would stop activating. I believe your theory on the p10 barrel reaming being different than all the others being a consideration. Why I lose in dry fire fun is made up for in how sweet they shoot I guess.

MountieHoo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I have the optics ready p10s with the blacked out rear. I never realized how much I would love that set up. I put a Holosun 508t on it for a while and was nowhere as good or fast so I went back to the irons. It’s a great carry gun. If I had to take a tough shot with that gun eg hostage situation of all my carries that’s probably the one I’d hope to be carrying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom