• Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    FB-IMG-1593806035806.jpg

Pandemics and societal unrest have a way of bringing clarity. And simplicity. And focus. When it has come to selecting a carry firearm over the past 23 years, these are qualities I have lacked. To put it mildly. In that time, I have owned over a hundred handguns. Hello. My name is Vanguard.45, and I have (had) an addiction. Had the recent world-shaking events never occurred, the (had) in the last sentence would not be there!

I am grateful to the pandemic and riots across this nation for their forcing me to take a very long moment to reflect upon the handgun platform that, in retrospect, would be the firearm I would want on my hip or in my hands during the Zombie Apocalypse, the collapse of society, a world without the rule of law, or on a short trip with the family to my local Dairy Queen!

That firearm is the Heckler & Koch USP. Developed in the 1990s, the “Universal Self-loading Pistol” was built to meet the needs of American shooters for recreation, law enforcement, and civilian self-defense. The USP was initially offered in the .40 S&W, a brand-new cartridge developed for law enforcement around this same time, but later evolved into the 9mm and .45 ACP varieties as well. It is an older design, sort of like me!

So, what were the qualities inherent in the USP design that made it my personal choice during a time it seemed inevitable that society was on the verge of collapse in the face of the deadly COVID-19 and racially motivated violence?

Toughness

The first aspect that made the USP standout for me was its sheer toughness. The USP is not merely reliable or dependable or durable. It is TOUGH! The firearm upon which it was based was the Mark 23, was, without a doubt, the most tested firearm in history, and it passed every test with flying colors while begging for more! The USP, although somewhat smaller than the Mark 23 (thankfully), has the same engineering inherent in the Mark 23’s design. My two USPs in .40 (and yes, I have TWO. Two hands, people!) were made in 1994 and 1998 and were purchased used. Although there are slight differences between the two (the 1994 version has a barrel with traditional lands and grooves as opposed to the polygonal rifling of later versions and a non-captured guide-rod spring as opposed to the captured designs of the later models), they both essentially run on springs. Since I had no idea how many rounds were fired through either pistol before purchasing them, I decided to replace their recoil springs. However, if you were to mention the decision I made to replace these springs to virtually any USP owner on the planet, they would tell you it was probably not necessary since they have never heard of the recoil spring assemblies on these guns wearing out to the point of actually needing to be replaced! The dual spring system, which reputedly reduces felt recoil by up to 30% over traditional recoil spring assemblies, just doesn’t seem to wear out, or, if it does, this wearing out doesn’t seem to affect performance in any meaningful way. +P and +P+ ammunition in either 45ACP or 9mm USPs are of no concern when it comes to wearing these beasts out. (.40 S&W, by the way, is already of such a high pressure that +P and +P+ ammunition was never offered commercially except by a few “boutique” ammunition manufacturers.) The barrel of the USP is made from cannon-grade steel, while the fiber-reinforced polymer (read “plastic”) frame is also reinforced with steel in key areas providing the user with further assurance that this weapon is bombproof! Pull the trigger and the gun goes bang. Every time. Without exception.

Right-Handed Configuration

The second reason I chose the USP was the lack of controls on the right side of the pistol. These days, it seems all the rage to clutter up the right side of pistols with ambidextrous slide releases and ambidextrous safeties to be more inclusive of those people blessed by nature to shoot with their correct hand (their LEFT). However, for the life of me, I don’t see how right handed folks are able to achieve a solid, thumbs-forward grip on a pistol without bumping into all of the do-dads typically present on the left side of most semiautomatic handguns! While some of the “lefty-friendly” USP variants can have levers placed on the right side of the gun, I prefer a clean right side of the slide and frame free from all manner of levers. Although the ambidextrous, “European-style” magazine release paddle under the base of the trigger guard is considerate, I still use my trigger finger to actuate it as opposed to my thumb. Same for the decocker and slide release on the left side of the USP. My trigger finger can handle all assigned duties quite efficiently with just a little practice, and, while actuating these levers, I know for certain that my trigger finger is not, well, on the trigger!

Lightweight, yet Imposingly Large

The third reason I now carry the USP is the fact that, despite its size, it is relatively lightweight. The aforementioned “magic of polymer” has allowed a pistol capable of carrying 14 rounds of .40 S&W ammunition to weigh significantly less than an all-steel 1911 carrying half the rounds in .45 ACP. The USP, unloaded, comes in at a svelte 29 ounces, while the 1911 typically tips the scales at 39 ounces. Fully loaded (which is how you SHOULD be carrying the thing) the USP runs just under 37 ounces, while the 1911 with only half the rounds hits right at 44 ounces. While a half pound of handgun might not seem like much at first glance, that difference in weight on your hip tends to “grow on you” as the day wears on. The USP is a big, burly handgun, and its imposing profile projects a business-like, industrial feel as only the Germans can manage, but it does not require the strength of Hercules to carry and wield! It is, in a word, manageable! And, yes, I realize that polymer is not an exclusive feature to the H&K USP, although H&K was the first to use it in the manufacture of a handgun. GLOCK, Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Springfield Armory, Walther, and countless other firearm companies offer a plethora of handguns framed out of the wonder plastic. At a certain point, personal preference does play a role, whether one wants to admit it or not. Those other handguns are fantastic. I guess I just like the HK USP better.

Early in my firearms journey, I had the belief that I would eventually find the perfect handgun. However, it soon became apparent that every gun is a compromise between qualities (despite the claims of “No compromise” by the HK marketing team). Every weapon giveth and taketh away. So, having described the primary “giveths” of the HK USP, let us discuss two aspects of the design that “taketh away” from its appeal as a defensive firearm according to many current and previous users.

Trigger Pull

The triggers on my USPs are of the DA/SA variety, where the first trigger pull is long and heavy, while the subsequent shots are short and light. The DA trigger pull is heavy on my examples, and certainly not as refined as on other, more recent trigger offerings from a variety of firearms makers. Even the worst of the striker-fired trigger pulls on the market will be light and short by comparison to the DA pull on most firearms, which is why I often suggest those types of pistols to beginning shooters. No reason to make the learning curve steeper at the very start. The SA trigger pull of the USP, although crisp in the break, does not have as short a reset as other pistols, and even after reaching the reset, there is some take up to get back to “the wall” where the trigger breaks. There is no doubt that there are much better triggers on the market. However, the trigger is, with practice, more than good enough for a carry weapon and can, with practice, become intuitive at best and “manageable” at worst. The “Law Enforcement Modification,” or LEM trigger is also available and reduces the DA trigger pull down to SA levels and makes the trigger pull much more consistent shot-to-shot. I have an HK45 with this LEM trigger system installed, and it cures any gripes one might have with the DA/SA variety. Call me a traditionalist, but I somehow prefer the more difficult DA/SA trigger setup on my USPs. It just seems to fit their vintage a bit more appropriately.

Grip Size and Shape

You will either love or hate the grip of the USP. The grip on the USP is large and rectangular in circumferential (I think that’s a word) profile. Some have described holding the USP as an experience not unlike grasping a 2x4. Those with small hands need not apply, as the USP came to market several years before the first pistol offering interchangeable grip panels (the Walther P99) would arrive on the scene. My hands could be described as “Medium Squatch,” and, although the USP is certainly not as ergonomic as some of H&K’s other offerings, such as the P30 or the HK45 or the VP9, I find the USP’s rectangular grip makes it very easy to rapidly orient the weapon toward the target. The texturing on the frontstrap and backstrap of the grip is pronounced, but not sharp, while the sides of the grip are textured in a much more subtle manner. With much more ergonomic grips to be had, the temptation to prioritize comfort over functionality will be hard to resist. This factor alone discounts the USP for many, but, as stated earlier, it is a grip you will either love or hate. For me, it represents function over comfort, and, to paraphrase/steal the immortal words of Clint Smith, carrying a gun is meant to be comforting, not comfortable.

Final Thoughts

At the end of the day, the H&K USP .40 is an old school gun in an old school caliber. Both the gun and the caliber have fallen out of favor with the “tacti-cool” crowd as of late, but there are still plenty of “men with beards” who have “been there and don’t that” who appreciate the USP for the benefits it offers and the reputation it has garnered over the past 27 years in hard use all over the world. And even if there were not any “super-ninja, operator, commando-types” still loving on the USP, I would still choose to carry it. For me, the benefits of the H&K USP outweigh the drawbacks, and, after many years of looking for perfection, I have found that the compromise of “No compromise” is as much as anyone should dare to demand, and more than most will attempt to offer in return.

I am grateful for the clarity recent world events have provided to me, as I truly believe my search has finally come to an end. Now, on to the Zombie Apocalypse! Until I see you there, be well!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    40sw is not “high pressure.” This myth needs to be refuted every time it appears. 40SW has the exact same 35ksi SAAMI max pressure as 9mm Luger. Every +p or more 9mm is higher pressure than 40SW.

The only major auto loading calibers that are higher than 35ksi are 10mm at 37,500 psi and .357 Sig at 40,000 psi.

40sw is a standard pressure 9mm pressure cartridge.

That said, great review of the USP. It was the first gun I ever listed for as a young guy in the 90s. Well, mk23 but usp has the same pedigree.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    40sw is not “high pressure.” This myth needs to be refuted every time it appears. 40SW has the exact same 35ksi SAAMI max pressure as 9mm Luger. Every +p or more 9mm is higher pressure than 40SW.

The only major auto loading calibers that are higher than 35ksi are 10mm at 37,500 psi and .357 Sig at 40,000 psi.

That said, great review of the USP. It was the first gun I ever listed for as a young guy in the 90s. Well, mk23 but usp has the same pedigree.

You are absolutely correct, and I should have discussed the muzzle energy of both as a better contrast. The 40 is firing a heavier bullet with more powder at the same internal pressure as the 9mm in standard loads.

And I agree that the Mark 23 is a beast worthy of awe!!! The USP is just more carryable with similar traits.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Very nice write-up....and covered it well!
    I, too, prefer the .40 S&W caliber, over the 9mm, and still have a few .45 acp pistols in the stable.
    While I've had a few HK's over the years (P2000 DAO versions) I have opted to stick with the Glock platform,
    as they just fit my, somewhat, smaller hands better, especially in the Gen 4 version.
    Don't get me wrong, the HK is a wonderful pistol and, as a college buddy of mine once told me,
    "Get yourself an HK...you won't find a smoother shooting platform in the world!" and he is still right!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have been carrying the P2000 for a year or so now, also have the sk version but I think the p2000 is just a s easy to catty. I tried the P30s but it irritated my trigger finger.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Joined the HK Church over 20+ years ago. Nice write up. May have to get some HK toys out this weekend. Enjoy the little tank of the P30SK for carry. :yesway:

Just remember... "HK's are like old girlfriends, HOT, reliable, will do anything you want, and you will miss her."

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    Excellent write up! Another bonus is the availability of .40 S&W ammunition during shortages. I no longer have any guns in that caliber, but it is in stock at many retailers and currently I see it listed for a lower price than 9mm!

I made an offer a couple weeks ago on a HK tactical in .40, but unfortunately it sold for more than I was willing to pay for it. Too bad, because that was one .40 I wouldn't mind owning.

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    Love the write-up. Very thorough. Huge fan of HK and the USP. The P30 lineup has been a newer favorite, and with some Grayguns love, they are hard to beat.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    My USP .45 makes my Koch hard every single time I fire it. They're amazing firearms. A ***** to carry around, but amazing.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    FB-IMG-1593806035806.jpg

Pandemics and societal unrest have a way of bringing clarity. And simplicity. And focus. When it has come to selecting a carry firearm over the past 23 years, these are qualities I have lacked. To put it mildly. In that time, I have owned over a hundred handguns. Hello. My name is Vanguard.45, and I have (had) an addiction. Had the recent world-shaking events never occurred, the (had) in the last sentence would not be there!

I am grateful to the pandemic and riots across this nation for their forcing me to take a very long moment to reflect upon the handgun platform that, in retrospect, would be the firearm I would want on my hip or in my hands during the Zombie Apocalypse, the collapse of society, a world without the rule of law, or on a short trip with the family to my local Dairy Queen!

That firearm is the Heckler & Koch USP. Developed in the 1990s, the “Universal Self-loading Pistol” was built to meet the needs of American shooters for recreation, law enforcement, and civilian self-defense. The USP was initially offered in the .40 S&W, a brand-new cartridge developed for law enforcement around this same time, but later evolved into the 9mm and .45 ACP varieties as well. It is an older design, sort of like me!

So, what were the qualities inherent in the USP design that made it my personal choice during a time it seemed inevitable that society was on the verge of collapse in the face of the deadly COVID-19 and racially motivated violence?

Toughness

The first aspect that made the USP standout for me was its sheer toughness. The USP is not merely reliable or dependable or durable. It is TOUGH! The firearm upon which it was based was the Mark 23, was, without a doubt, the most tested firearm in history, and it passed every test with flying colors while begging for more! The USP, although somewhat smaller than the Mark 23 (thankfully), has the same engineering inherent in the Mark 23’s design. My two USPs in .40 (and yes, I have TWO. Two hands, people!) were made in 1994 and 1998 and were purchased used. Although there are slight differences between the two (the 1994 version has a barrel with traditional lands and grooves as opposed to the polygonal rifling of later versions and a non-captured guide-rod spring as opposed to the captured designs of the later models), they both essentially run on springs. Since I had no idea how many rounds were fired through either pistol before purchasing them, I decided to replace their recoil springs. However, if you were to mention the decision I made to replace these springs to virtually any USP owner on the planet, they would tell you it was probably not necessary since they have never heard of the recoil spring assemblies on these guns wearing out to the point of actually needing to be replaced! The dual spring system, which reputedly reduces felt recoil by up to 30% over traditional recoil spring assemblies, just doesn’t seem to wear out, or, if it does, this wearing out doesn’t seem to affect performance in any meaningful way. +P and +P+ ammunition in either 45ACP or 9mm USPs are of no concern when it comes to wearing these beasts out. (.40 S&W, by the way, is already of such a high pressure that +P and +P+ ammunition was never offered commercially except by a few “boutique” ammunition manufacturers.) The barrel of the USP is made from cannon-grade steel, while the fiber-reinforced polymer (read “plastic”) frame is also reinforced with steel in key areas providing the user with further assurance that this weapon is bombproof! Pull the trigger and the gun goes bang. Every time. Without exception.

Right-Handed Configuration

The second reason I chose the USP was the lack of controls on the right side of the pistol. These days, it seems all the rage to clutter up the right side of pistols with ambidextrous slide releases and ambidextrous safeties to be more inclusive of those people blessed by nature to shoot with their correct hand (their LEFT). However, for the life of me, I don’t see how right handed folks are able to achieve a solid, thumbs-forward grip on a pistol without bumping into all of the do-dads typically present on the left side of most semiautomatic handguns! While some of the “lefty-friendly” USP variants can have levers placed on the right side of the gun, I prefer a clean right side of the slide and frame free from all manner of levers. Although the ambidextrous, “European-style” magazine release paddle under the base of the trigger guard is considerate, I still use my trigger finger to actuate it as opposed to my thumb. Same for the decocker and slide release on the left side of the USP. My trigger finger can handle all assigned duties quite efficiently with just a little practice, and, while actuating these levers, I know for certain that my trigger finger is not, well, on the trigger!

Lightweight, yet Imposingly Large

The third reason I now carry the USP is the fact that, despite its size, it is relatively lightweight. The aforementioned “magic of polymer” has allowed a pistol capable of carrying 14 rounds of .40 S&W ammunition to weigh significantly less than an all-steel 1911 carrying half the rounds in .45 ACP. The USP, unloaded, comes in at a svelte 29 ounces, while the 1911 typically tips the scales at 39 ounces. Fully loaded (which is how you SHOULD be carrying the thing) the USP runs just under 37 ounces, while the 1911 with only half the rounds hits right at 44 ounces. While a half pound of handgun might not seem like much at first glance, that difference in weight on your hip tends to “grow on you” as the day wears on. The USP is a big, burly handgun, and its imposing profile projects a business-like, industrial feel as only the Germans can manage, but it does not require the strength of Hercules to carry and wield! It is, in a word, manageable! And, yes, I realize that polymer is not an exclusive feature to the H&K USP, although H&K was the first to use it in the manufacture of a handgun. GLOCK, Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Springfield Armory, Walther, and countless other firearm companies offer a plethora of handguns framed out of the wonder plastic. At a certain point, personal preference does play a role, whether one wants to admit it or not. Those other handguns are fantastic. I guess I just like the HK USP better.

Early in my firearms journey, I had the belief that I would eventually find the perfect handgun. However, it soon became apparent that every gun is a compromise between qualities (despite the claims of “No compromise” by the HK marketing team). Every weapon giveth and taketh away. So, having described the primary “giveths” of the HK USP, let us discuss two aspects of the design that “taketh away” from its appeal as a defensive firearm according to many current and previous users.

Trigger Pull

The triggers on my USPs are of the DA/SA variety, where the first trigger pull is long and heavy, while the subsequent shots are short and light. The DA trigger pull is heavy on my examples, and certainly not as refined as on other, more recent trigger offerings from a variety of firearms makers. Even the worst of the striker-fired trigger pulls on the market will be light and short by comparison to the DA pull on most firearms, which is why I often suggest those types of pistols to beginning shooters. No reason to make the learning curve steeper at the very start. The SA trigger pull of the USP, although crisp in the break, does not have as short a reset as other pistols, and even after reaching the reset, there is some take up to get back to “the wall” where the trigger breaks. There is no doubt that there are much better triggers on the market. However, the trigger is, with practice, more than good enough for a carry weapon and can, with practice, become intuitive at best and “manageable” at worst. The “Law Enforcement Modification,” or LEM trigger is also available and reduces the DA trigger pull down to SA levels and makes the trigger pull much more consistent shot-to-shot. I have an HK45 with this LEM trigger system installed, and it cures any gripes one might have with the DA/SA variety. Call me a traditionalist, but I somehow prefer the more difficult DA/SA trigger setup on my USPs. It just seems to fit their vintage a bit more appropriately.

Grip Size and Shape

You will either love or hate the grip of the USP. The grip on the USP is large and rectangular in circumferential (I think that’s a word) profile. Some have described holding the USP as an experience not unlike grasping a 2x4. Those with small hands need not apply, as the USP came to market several years before the first pistol offering interchangeable grip panels (the Walther P99) would arrive on the scene. My hands could be described as “Medium Squatch,” and, although the USP is certainly not as ergonomic as some of H&K’s other offerings, such as the P30 or the HK45 or the VP9, I find the USP’s rectangular grip makes it very easy to rapidly orient the weapon toward the target. The texturing on the frontstrap and backstrap of the grip is pronounced, but not sharp, while the sides of the grip are textured in a much more subtle manner. With much more ergonomic grips to be had, the temptation to prioritize comfort over functionality will be hard to resist. This factor alone discounts the USP for many, but, as stated earlier, it is a grip you will either love or hate. For me, it represents function over comfort, and, to paraphrase/steal the immortal words of Clint Smith, carrying a gun is meant to be comforting, not comfortable.

Final Thoughts

At the end of the day, the H&K USP .40 is an old school gun in an old school caliber. Both the gun and the caliber have fallen out of favor with the “tacti-cool” crowd as of late, but there are still plenty of “men with beards” who have “been there and don’t that” who appreciate the USP for the benefits it offers and the reputation it has garnered over the past 27 years in hard use all over the world. And even if there were not any “super-ninja, operator, commando-types” still loving on the USP, I would still choose to carry it. For me, the benefits of the H&K USP outweigh the drawbacks, and, after many years of looking for perfection, I have found that the compromise of “No compromise” is as much as anyone should dare to demand, and more than most will attempt to offer in return.

I am grateful for the clarity recent world events have provided to me, as I truly believe my search has finally come to an end. Now, on to the Zombie Apocalypse! Until I see you there, be well!

K :):

I had a first generation. All milled parts, no MIM.
    Man that thing was a heavy brick or I would miss it.

What is nice, it can be ordered in any configuration.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    While I find 40 cool, I've come across 9mm loadings that can do the exact same thing. 185gr at 950-1000fps.

I have a 1994 USP 9mm, it's a great handgun though. The DA feels terrible, but it always goes exactly where I want it to, even the first time I ever shot it. I can't shoot the DA first pull as good on any other DA/SA gun, even if the triggers feel vastly better. I'm getting better with my beretta 92, but it still takes more cognitive effort compared to my USP. Just something weird about the USP and my body mechanics apparently.

Regardless, I still carry a Walther PPQ these days.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I was a late convert to the HK church. First it was a VP9SK, then a USP .40 Compact, then.....now I've got 6 of the critters!

While I find 40 cool, I've come across 9mm loadings that can do the exact same thing. 185gr at 950-1000fps.

I have a 1994 USP 9mm, it's a great handgun though. The DA feels terrible, but it always goes exactly where I want it to, even the first time I ever shot it. I can't shoot the DA first pull as good on any other DA/SA gun, even if the triggers feel vastly better. I'm getting better with my beretta 92, but it still takes more cognitive effort compared to my USP. Just something weird about the USP and my body mechanics apparently.

Regardless, I still carry a Walther PPQ these days.

I surprised myself the last time I had the P30 out putting 5 shots in 2 holes. the DA first shot was less than 2" left at >15yds and I hadn't shot it in months.

Almost like there's more to a good trigger than just crispness, lightness, and lack of pretravel lol (I have a couple guns that are amazingly crisp with a firm wall (What most reviewers would call good triggers) that I can barely shoot straight because they're too heavy at the wall, overtravel, slop, etc and several heavy DAs with no discernable wall that I can stack the holes (what most reviewers would call sloppy, too long, too much pre/over travel, no wall, bla bla bla). The wall should be proportional to the lightness and lack of overt-ravel. After only 5 years with guns, 10s of thousands of rounds and more dry fire I I'm turning into a trigger snob lol.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

While this is true, it's also true that modern 9mm guns can far more easily handle pressures well over SAAMI specs so people have gotten away with loading 9mm hot hot hot. This is the appeal of 10mm for me as well. Many .40S&W guns do not have the same margin and people have gotten in trouble for trying to load hot for it which is why the major ammo manufacturers have shied away from higher pressure rounds. People get in trouble for trying with 9 and 10mm as well, but it's harder.

I really like the USP and if they made it in 10mm I'd be all over it. I know conversion barrels have been produced. I have been contemplating the .45.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    While this is true, it's also true that modern 9mm guns can far more easily handle pressures well over SAAMI specs so people have gotten away with loading 9mm hot hot hot. This is the appeal of 10mm for me as well. Many .40S&W guns do not have the same margin and people have gotten in trouble for trying to load hot for it which is why the major ammo manufacturers have shied away from higher pressure rounds. People get in trouble for trying with 9 and 10mm as well, but it's harder.

Agreed. Just because the pressures are the same doesn't mean the 40SW isn't more stress.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom