Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Practice has been few and far between this week and last. I did get invited over to Allen Moore's house for a little shooting. He let me fire a gun he built and provided the ammo. So here is a mini review complete with video. It is a 9mm compensated gun that is commander length. It has an optic on it. Optics are not my bag but I gave it a whirl and warmed right up to some respectable performances with it.

The video shows the gun and the holster that were used in the live fire. We have a little footage of Allen talking about the gun. So if you like what you see look him up and he will gladly build you one.

I did a little bit of warm up group shooting and I needed it to figure the dot out. Then it was a series of one shot draws. I did not write down all of the times on these draws but that ranged from one slow draw at 1.23 seconds to the fastest at 0.97 seconds. There were a number of then at 1.07 to 1.19 seconds.

The next drill was taken from the " Black Belt Standards" a draw and three rounds to the body and two rounds to the head. I did not have 3x5 card on the head and I did not work from concealment. It was 90 degrees plus out there and concealment seemed dumb to me. The first one was 2.03 seconds, and one head shot may have missed the 3x5 card, hard to say. The next two runs on video are both 1.84 seconds and all hits were made without a doubt. The trigger on the gun breaks right around four pounds but was crisp and reset nicely.

Then I fired three repetitions of the Mozambique. It was improperly done as I did not access between the body shots and the head shot. The times were 1.75, 1.78, 1.71 seconds. The first run the head shot was low and in the chest not in the head. The following to reps were great hits.

I did some 2-2-2 then at ten yards to see how transitions would go. The first run is a draw of 1.20 and a total time of 2.32 for the six shots with 26/30 points on the target. The second run was 1.33 draw, 2.55 seconds over all with 26/30 points. The third run was sloppy but a 1.21 draw and time of 2.39 but only 20/30 target points achieved.

Did some SHO and WHO to show how the comp makes a difference. The SHO runs were 3.23 seconds and 3.03 seconds with 26 points scored on the first run and all 30 points achieved on the second attempt.

WHO only was a little rough and not because of the gun. But finding the dot after transitioning to the left hand was tough. The first run was a total time of 4.56 seconds with a first shot at the 2.3 second mark. So half the time was finding the dot after the draw. Points were bad at 22/30 points possible. The second run was 3.83 seconds and I did not see a dot after the first shot. I also had a miss on the middle target.

Overall it is a very nice gun and a lot of fun to shoot. This gun was built to be able to carry. It ran well and the trigger was really nice. If you are looking for a new gun this might be just the thing.

<span style="font-size: 13.3333px; background-color: rgb(221, 222, 192);">[video=youtube;vS8wKM7yb3Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS8wKM7yb3Q[/video]

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Finally had a chance to watch this video. Gorgeous gun, and I don't know what you're talking about with WHO being a little rough, ALL your drills looked nice, clean and quick to me! Thanks for posting this... I often look through AllenM's build threads and am normally in absolute awe of his creations.

Top Bottom