• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zxc789

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2020
    indiana
    How come when I look for information on .22 pistols I find many more articles and forums posts on Rugers as opposed to Buckmarks? It's almost like they don't exist.:dunno:

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    The Rugers far outnumber the Buckmarks. I would guess the Ruger series has sold more pistols than all the competitors combined.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    The Rugers far outnumber the Buckmarks. I would guess the Ruger series has sold more pistols than all the competitors combined.

Pretty much this. Although there have been a lot of competitors over the years, the Ruger Mk1-4 series have sold far more units, much like the Ruger 10/22 has been a long-lasting leader in .22 rifles. Doesn't mean other makes might not be a better fit for you, but the Ruger .22s will most always be in the discussion.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis

^This x1000. There Ruger has been around since like 1949, or around there. The BuckMark came along in the mid-80s. Neither are a bad choice, but Ruger pretty much owns this market.

30D75A03-B8CA-4BCD-AA30-6D4D7EAA5D7E.jpg

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Sold all my Ruger 22 pistols. They ran great, they were accurate and a lot of fun to shoot. Raced Steel with a 22/45 with no problems. Why I went to Buckmark is machined frame, square sights and modular design. Never cared for the round bolt and German Luger overtones of the Ruger. Much happier now as I am running one metal frame with several barrels and sight options.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    How come when I look for information on .22 pistols I find many more articles and forums posts on Rugers as opposed to Buckmarks? It's almost like they don't exist.:dunno:

Could be spelling, as it's officially "Buck Mark".

Plus, having right handed grips is a dick move on on Browning's part. (I think they might have moved away from that.)

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Looks like I bought the wrong gun for my .22LR dream gun (SW 41). :dunno:

That's okay. Despite being a dead accurate shot with my Ruger Mk3 22/45 with red dot, my favorite is still my H&R 9-shot single action revolver. It is just old school fun.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've been chasing after the "perfect" .22LR for 3 yrs. now.
    As a famous .22LR expert once told me: quit worrying about accuracy & just find a gun you enjoy shooting, which won't necessarily be the most accurate (or something like that).
    His name is Aeroflyer.

The longer I'm at this, the more I am seeing the wisdom of that statement.
    Is the heighten intensity of joy with a gun hinge on accuracy? :dunno:
    I think not.
    It has its place.
    Fun to chase after, but not the end-all.

I have an inexpensive Mark 3 that I only bought b/c of the price b/c it was included in a deal with a rifle from zachcz, and it is so accurate and feels so good in the hand.
    I have a Glock 44 that is nothing of what I like in a gun, but I'm fascinated by it for some reason.
    I have two 1911-22 clones (Colt/Walther & GSG) that for the life of me I don't know why I enjoy shooting them so much (not even related to anything very accurate, but high in the fun factor).
    I have a Beretta 87 Target that cost way too much for what it does, but I look forward to shooting it every time.
    I could go on, but point made. :)

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    From personal experience:
    Buckmarks just work, with boring reliability, until the barrel and chamber gets too carbon fouled. Then a squirt of oil and a brush will have it running again.

Rugers can be hit or miss, but personally, I've never shot or had a friend who had one that didn't regularly malfunction.

The main downside of the buckmark is that it isn't built as robustly as the ruger is. And magazines are absurdly expensive, and are probably why the pistol runs as good as it does.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I've been chasing after the "perfect" .22LR for 3 yrs. now.
    As a famous .22LR expert once told me: quit worrying about accuracy & just find a gun you enjoy shooting, which won't necessarily be the most accurate (or something like that).
    His name is Aeroflyer.

The longer I'm at this, the more I am seeing the wisdom of that statement.
    Is the heighten intensity of joy with a gun hinge on accuracy? :dunno:
    I think not.
    It has its place.
    Fun to chase after, but not the end-all.

I have an inexpensive Mark 3 that I only bought b/c of the price b/c it was included in a deal with a rifle from zachcz, and it is so accurate and feels so good in the hand.
    I have a Glock 44 that is nothing of what I like in a gun, but I'm fascinated by it for some reason.
    I have two 1911-22 clones (Colt/Walther & GSG) that for the life of me I don't know why I enjoy shooting them so much (not even related to anything very accurate, but high in the fun factor).
    I have a Beretta 87 Target that cost way too much for what it does, but I look forward to shooting it every time.
    I could go on, but point made. :)

Those 41s are junk anyway. Let me know if you want to get rid of it, I'll dispose of it for you if you like :):

Too many people are worried about how accurate the gun is rather than worried about how accurate they, themselves, are. I shot bullseye this week with the Kadet .22 conversion on my carry (cajunized) P01 frame. 788 and took second place (out of 8 or 9) against almost entirely 41s (and one Buck Mark) on the line.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I've had both and both are very accurate. The only thing I didn't like about Browning is having to use the Allen wrench to keep the top strap tight if you want to put an optic on it. I think it comes down to personal preference though and personally I really like the profile of the Rugers over the Browning. Some people say they always have problems with taking the older Ruger MK series apart but with a little practice its not bad. That being said, the MK IV is super easy with the new take down system. Whichever you choose, you cant go wrong with either.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Those 41s are junk anyway. Let me know if you want to get rid of it, I'll dispose of it for you if you like :):

Too many people are worried about how accurate the gun is rather than worried about how accurate they, themselves, are. I shot bullseye this week with the Kadet .22 conversion on my carry (cajunized) P01 frame. 788 and took second place (out of 8 or 9) against almost entirely 41s (and one Buck Mark) on the line.

Quite a testimony about the Kadet 22 conversion.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    From personal experience:
    Buckmarks just work, with boring reliability, until the barrel and chamber gets too carbon fouled. Then a squirt of oil and a brush will have it running again.

Rugers can be hit or miss, but personally, I've never shot or had a friend who had one that didn't regularly malfunction.

The main downside of the buckmark is that it isn't built as robustly as the ruger is. And magazines are absurdly expensive, and are probably why the pistol runs as good as it does.

I've seen and experienced the COMPLETE opposite on reliability on the Buckmarks, I have seen buckmarks come onto the firing line at HHRP for years and they never last. they are not reliable. I"ve owned 2 of old style and new style and go rid of them they just didn't work reliable,

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Having used both I prefer the Ruger especially the Mark 4, the Browning has a much better trigger out of the box however. That being said I would just not clean the Buckmarks they were such a PITA to clean and disassemble.

Top Bottom