• Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    https://forums.1911forum.com/#/topics/1020322

Posted July 6
    Recently had an occasion to reach out to Keith @ DW and to check to see if they were up and running.
    Keith said that all service is now handled out of Kansas City (no longer out of NY) and that Endre, Shawn and others are longer with DW.
    Hopefully Kansas City (CZ) will be able to carry the baton for Endre. I always had a good rapport with Endre and found him to be most helpful.

Just an F.Y.I.

Keith responded
    The smiths in KC also have a great CS track record and I am staying in the loop and making sure things are being taken care of as they always have since I took over DW CS back in 2004. You are still in good hands.

We wish Endre and Shawn the best of luck and a bright.

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    What's wrong with DW's?

Nothing wrong with them, just not going to put that much coin in one. They have their issues just like most do. I'm not that much into pretty as I'm into reliability and accuracy. My Springfields fit the bill for what I want and leave me with more money for ammo and I'm not afraid to use them.
    Most people buy them and are afraid to shoot them and lose value on them. Maybe I've been lucky, never had to send my Springfields back home for repair or warranty work. I have seen and heard horror stories about DWs and their customer service, just like other high dollar 1911 makers. If you like them, buy them. Just not my cup of tea.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Nothing wrong with them, just not going to put that much coin in one. They have their issues just like most do. I'm not that much into pretty as I'm into reliability and accuracy. My Springfields fit the bill for what I want and leave me with more money for ammo and I'm not afraid to use them.
    Most people buy them and are afraid to shoot them and lose value on them. Maybe I've been lucky, never had to send my Springfields back home for repair or warranty work. I have seen and heard horror stories about DWs and their customer service, just like other high dollar 1911 makers. If you like them, buy them. Just not my cup of tea.

It doesn't sound like you're that familiar with DW's? I wouldn't really call them high dollar, they typically run in the 1100-1500.00 range which isn't that high for good 1911's. Have you seen the price for a new TRP lately? I generally hear very good things about DW's customer service, the CS manager is pretty active on 1911forum. I remember a member here had issues once with a 10mm but I don't read about a lot of issues. Customer service is one of those things where the bad is always going to be more out there than the good it's just the nature of the business. I've been lucky though I can't remember ever sending something back for repair.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke

An American made 1911 with zero mim parts from a maker that doesn't contribute to anti-gun politicians. Those are my cups of tea.
    DW Bruin 10mm
    DW Silverback 10mm
    DW Pointman 45acp

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Service work on DW 1911s will be done by the Smith's that work on the CZ guns. There will be a learning curve for them on the 1911. This posted on the link from the OP.

asevans

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Why would you even open a thread about a gun company you don’t care for only to talk crap about them? Who cares if you don’t like DW.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I’m happy with the DW’s I own. It is surprising to hear that DW C/S is being done in KC now. I had thought that CZ was building a new factory down in Alabama and that the KC only had a limited number of tech folks. IIRC, they had something like 250 people at the KC location, with the bulk of those being corporate, warehouse or other functions.

I wonder what happened to the Alabama plant.

My experience has been that D/W puts out a product far superior to Springers for not much more. My DW Bronze Heritage was only $920 and was perfect in fit/finish and function. The 3 Springfields that I’ve own/owned have all needed tuned to be great shooters. Ask CM how many stock Springfield ignition controls he’s yanked out of factory guns to bring them up to an acceptable level.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Service work on DW 1911s will be done by the Smith's that work on the CZ guns. There will be a learning curve for them on the 1911. This posted on the link from the OP.

Full quote from KeithDW:
    I can't quite fathom where all of these conspiracy theories come from?

About two months ago DW was allowed to come back to work during the Phase 1 re-opening phase in upstate NY. We slowly brought our people back and are building an shipping guns to KC for distribution as before though with some changes due to Covid.

The gun smiths in the KC service Dept. are actually trained Gunsmith's with degree's. They work on all of the CZ guns as well as assist with New product development and now DW 1911 services. There may be a slight learning curve to learn the Dan Wesson nuances but believe me, they are more than capable. Any other smith I have had in the past, I have had to train from the ground up.

[Later post]:

...Like any business people come and go

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have one DW and it seems to run fine (10mm Commander sized). But I have seen several posts on the 1911 forum from people that have problems with theirs (especially galling on the stainless models). Unfortunately it usually ends up in a dog pile by the fans that refuse to believe there might be a few duds that slipped through.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    There were most definitely issues with the cheaper stainless guns having falling issues in the past. That being said most all Dan Wesson's have the Duty Treat finish that helps eliminate the issue (that and most DW's are aluminum framed now).

Dollar for dollar no one can touch them value or feature wise.

Top Bottom