Cz trigger pull data of 14 CZ’s. Interesting results. Discuss!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    I borrowed a wheeler professional digital trigger gauge from Doddg when I was dropping off a rifle for his optic dialing in service and decided to break into the CZ vault to get data on a random sample of CZs. They range from a $400 surplus clone to a $2-3k tanfoglio custom gold Eric.

The pull weight is the average of five single action pulls with same gauge and method all done this evening. Tried to get a variety from the safe that I believe shoot well. Limited room for text and tried to make Easy to read with a little bit of description.

I have always said and now I believe the data strongly supports shooting your CZs and some very easy to do polishing is as good if not better than any Cajun or similar upgrades.

Obviously how well something feels shooting is subjective and there are many other factors besides trigger weight but this is something easy to measure and that a lot of people get caught up on

14th- stock Cz 75 shot little - 3lb 8oz
    13th- eaa mossad surplus - 3lb 3 oz
    12th- cz85 stock shot little- 3lb 1oz
    11th- sp01 basic Cajun - 3lb 0.5 oz
    10th - Cz 97 light polish - 2lb 13 oz
    9th - tanfoglio custom Eric 2lb 12oz
    8th - p01 polished shot a lot - 2lb 9oz
    7th - shadow 2 stock - 2lb 6oz
    6th - Cz 75 stainless polished 2lb 5oz
    5th - Czc shadow tactical - 2lb 4 oz
    4th - cz 75SA factory. - 2lb 0.8 oz
    3rd - shadow 2 shot a lot. - 1 lb 13 oz
    2nd-Cz85 duo tone Cajun-1lb 8oz
    1st - czc sp01 shadow - 1lb 5oz

Last edited:

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    I tried my best but was just using my phone. I think he cheats and uses a PC to type the in depth reviews.

I thought the data was interesting and hope others agree. Lighter springs is a simple way to lighten pull weight but not as effective as plain polish job.

there are also some in the list that have a lighter pull but shoot nowhere as nice as my stock stsinless that I have polished internals

Man. That's almost doddg like detail.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So doddg is dialing in optics now.......

1375997521_alice-falling-down-rabbit-hole1.jpg

Though I must say, I do have to admire those that jump in with both feet to some extent. I tried to go down the optics, rifles etc rabbit hole many years ago. I decided that doing a lot of math in my hobbies was not relaxing...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Some of your pull weights are way down on the scale of what we are seeing in our highly worked CZ's.
    1lb 5oz's is crazy light and just not something we usually see. This is all done in SA yes.

One thing you are missing in this is that the CGW's actions are as buttery smooth as.....well....butter. Just heavenly.

I have and have owned several well shot in CZ's and yes those get so much better with rounds. No argument. Fact is I have a sterling example in my BOB. But they still do not compare to a fully Cajunized (if properly done) CZ. I have and have seen far too many examples. Pull weight is only 1 factor in this equation.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    I agree. Pull weight is only one factor and to me not the most important. With using same scale for all the weights are at least an apples to apples comparison. Thought it would be interesting to test a wide variety of CZs I have access too. Maybe at lunch I will rank them as to how well I shoot them. Definitely doesn’t follow straight trigger weight. There are tons of variables of course and many that are not realistically measured.

Some of your pull weights are way down on the scale of what we are seeing in our highly worked CZ's.
    1lb 5oz's is crazy light and just not something we usually see. This is all done in SA yes.

One thing you are missing in this is that the CGW's actions are as buttery smooth as.....well....butter. Just heavenly.

I have and have owned several well shot in CZ's and yes those get so much better with rounds. No argument. Fact is I have a sterling example in my BOB. But they still do not compare to a fully Cajunized (if properly done) CZ. I have and have seen far too many examples. Pull weight is only 1 factor in this equation.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Are you placing the gauge on the tip of the trigger or close to center on the trigger.

I ask because some of your pull weights are unexpectedly low. As an example, my stock CZ Shadow 2 with ~5000 rounds through it and another few thousand dry fires breaks at 2lb 12oz with two different gauges with the gauge's pull pull bar close to centered on the trigger.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    Pulled from center of trigger on all of them. I thought some numbers seemed low as well but I don’t get too carried away with numbers. Same gauge and technique used on all guns so it is comparable whether gauge said it was two or twenty pounds.
    Are you placing the gauge on the tip of the trigger or close to center on the trigger.

I ask because some of your pull weights are unexpectedly low. As an example, my stock CZ Shadow 2 with ~5000 rounds through it and another few thousand dry fires breaks at 2lb 12oz with two different gauges with the gauge's pull pull bar close to centered on the trigger.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Let me add to your data

cz shadow 2 sa 1.11 (single action only)
    10 pull average on a wheeler trigger pull gauge (the gun is unfired as of yet except for my dry firing) so I fully expect it to drop to about 1 pound or a little more

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I agree. Pull weight is only one factor and to me not the most important. With using same scale for all the weights are at least an apples to apples comparison. Thought it would be interesting to test a wide variety of CZs I have access too. Maybe at lunch I will rank them as to how well I shoot them. Definitely doesn’t follow straight trigger weight. There are tons of variables of course and many that are not realistically measured.

Take up and reset are 2 more considerations in this.

Now I am going to have to get out the CZ's and see where they are. All save for I are fully Cajunized pieces.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    This is fun! :thumbsup:

Shadow 2 Wizard changed it to SAO & put in some Cajun parts for the trigger & other upgrades but not a full Cajun Package.
    SAO: 2.03 avg of 5 readings. High of 2.65 & low of 1.46

Rami Full Cajun package by the Wizard
    DA: 7.41 avg of 5 readings. High of 8.03 & low of 6.10
    SA: 2.88 avg of 5 readings. High of 2.146 & low of 1.118

While you're reading: Anyone put a Kadet Kit (.22LR) on a Cajunized Shadow 2?
    If so, did you have to change springs back & forth between uses of the .22LR & the 9mm?

llh1956

CZ Wizard
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Lawrence, IN.
    I agree that if you polish & fire around 1000-1500 rounds with the stock set up it will smooth out but will retain all the stock geometry, heavier DA, SA, long take up, pull through & reset. In my experience working on the CZ platform "over 200" if you only polish the internals you will see up to 8-10 ounce reduction of a stock SA 5 1/2 lbs. DA 9-10 lbs. trigger break weight. You will only get the lighter weight breaks by polishing, reduction in spring weights and addition of the "Cajun sauce". The stock hammer has .040 pull through after hitting the wall. A Cajun hammer has a .009 pull through and much improved geometry. Add a highly polished adjustable sear on manually safety guns only, the decocker uses the stock sear and I will polish those to remove the edgy gravel like pull through by using a ceramic stone for a 90 degree very slight break on the sear edge. I do this on all CZ's as it removes the edgy gravel pull you sometime will feel when pulling the trigger. Also replacing triggers, trigger return spring, removable trigger pin. On CZ's that you want the firing pin block Cajun has the improved grind & polished lifter arm and light weight lifter arm spring. On converting a SA/DA to SAO I eliminate the firing pin block safety system that consist of 2 springs, lifter arm and the FP block. It greatly reduces the take up to the wall and shortens reset. There is a reason that the Shadow's, Tactical Sport and all the upper CZ line do not have the FP block systems. Light weight break, short pull through, reset and overtravel for the competition shooter.
    I understand that some want a heavier break weight for a carry gun or all there CZ's and Cajun has a variety of mainsprings to suit their wants and needs plus giving your CZ a buttery smooth action .

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    great insight. I haven’t done as many as you in sure and i know that you do good work from the few that I’ve shot or handled that you have done work to. The firing pin block is definitely something that makes a huge difference and you’re right that is the reason the best feeling shooting models typically come from factory or custom shop without.

I agree that if you polish & fire around 1000-1500 rounds with the stock set up it will smooth out but will retain all the stock geometry, heavier DA, SA, long take up, pull through & reset. In my experience working on the CZ platform "over 200" if you only polish the internals you will see up to 8-10 ounce reduction of a stock SA 5 1/2 lbs. DA 9-10 lbs. trigger break weight. You will only get the lighter weight breaks by polishing, reduction in spring weights and addition of the "Cajun sauce". The stock hammer has .040 pull through after hitting the wall. A Cajun hammer has a .009 pull through and much improved geometry. Add a highly polished adjustable sear on manually safety guns only, the decocker uses the stock sear and I will polish those to remove the edgy gravel like pull through by using a ceramic stone for a 90 degree very slight break on the sear edge. I do this on all CZ's as it removes the edgy gravel pull you sometime will feel when pulling the trigger. Also replacing triggers, trigger return spring, removable trigger pin. On CZ's that you want the firing pin block Cajun has the improved grind & polished lifter arm and light weight lifter arm spring. On converting a SA/DA to SAO I eliminate the firing pin block safety system that consist of 2 springs, lifter arm and the FP block. It greatly reduces the take up to the wall and shortens reset. There is a reason that the Shadow's, Tactical Sport and all the upper CZ line do not have the FP block systems. Light weight break, short pull through, reset and overtravel for the competition shooter.
    I understand that some want a heavier break weight for a carry gun or all there CZ's and Cajun has a variety of mainsprings to suit their wants and needs plus giving your CZ a buttery smooth action .

Top Bottom