Custom Manurhin MR73 by Dave Laubert (Defensive Creations)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    First, before I get into this, apologies for the long post, but I wanrted to walk you all through my journey!

Around a year ago I posted a MR73 revo I snagged off GB in the group. The MR73 was a police trade in that looked a bit rough on the outside, but mechanically was in perfect working order! At the time, I was really excited to get it, but I knew it was only a matter of time before it went off to someone to get some special treatment. Once I got the gun and made my mind up that I was going to get work done on it, I called several friends and asked who they thought I should sent it to. Four names came up right away... Ted Yost, Karl Beining, Dave Laubert, and Brandan Bunker.

Because I am friends with Brandan (and know his work well), I called him first... he told he he was not doing any work on anything other than 1911's these days and that he just did not have time. I knew if I bugged him enough, he would likely do it, but... why not call the others on the short list and see how the experience would go.

Second, I called Ted. Ted flat out told me he had no desire to work on an MR73 and currently he was only working on Smiths (and maybe Colts if I remember correctly). Either way, Ted said no but did recommend Karls work.

From there I called Karl and we spoke for around 30 mins. He was a real gentleman and we had a nice conversation about the MR73. During the chat, he told me the turn around time would be a bit longer than I wanted to wait. I told him I was going to call Dave and chat with him and make a decision from there.

Last on the list... Dave Laubert. I had never heard of Dave Laubert until I got to listen to him on a Primary and Secondary Modcast. From there his name kept coming up so I decided to really look at what he was doing. At the time, he had just finished up the two gun revo set "spinny twins" which I thought were lights out:). I had heard guys like Steve Fisher talk about Daves 1911 work. My chat with Dave was fantastic... He may be one of the nicest dudes Ive ever spoke to (for real). I could tell his revo build philosophy was different than Karls, and he had me intrigued. I asked about wait time, and initially it was much much faster than what Karl told me.

From my chats, I knew if I went with Karl, the revo would be stellar... A spin on a classic revolver, refined to the last detail! I knew Karl would take the thing, do his magic, have it re-engraved, and have the thing looking better than ever. With Dave, I figured the some of the finer detail might get lost, but it would be as if someone took a classic and made it into a modern day fighting weapon... a straight hot rod! Like 69 Camero with a 2020 Corvette ZR1 engine in it.

Whether the above is 100% true, this was what I took away.

Ultimately, I decided to go with Dave... literally it was a total coin flip... So, I sent the revo to dave and thought I was headed into a project with a 90 day turn around. As with all custom work times get messed up, things happen in life, and 90 days turns into a year:). Oh well... Its the way it is in custom guns:)

So thats the back story.

Once I sent the gun to Dave, I told him my vision of the gun and then said, other than the initial thoughts, do your thing, just keep me looped in! It seemed like he was pretty much excited to get into the project and he definitely brought me in on the details as he was going (which was awesome). Because I am a very very meticulous person, I often times expect perfection when it comes to my guns. I am always very upfront about this... and either the smith tells me that he's probably not the guy to do the work (which tells me I don't want him doing the work), or he assures me he will be making sure there are no short cuts taken.

The guidelines I gave Dave were as follows: New rear sight, Gold Front sight, trigger work, adn for him to do whatever the hell he wanted to it! I told him that I wanted his spin on a full blown modern day fighting revo... and that exactly what he did! Some of work done is below:

• Remove and shorten barrel from 4" to 3" and resinstall
    • Crown Barrel
    • Slab Side Barrel
    • Recut forcing cone on barrel
    • Machine to accept new front sight
    • Make new front sight, Serrate, and install 14k .080 gold bead
    • Machine receiver to accept one off custom rear sight
    • Make new rear sight
    • Chamfer charging holes
    • Full trigger work
    • Case Color hammer and trigger
    • Remove all roll marks from gun
    • Complete polish on flats and matte blast rounds
    • Nitre Blue screws

As you will see from the pictures, Dave started a rear sight on the revo... He asked me what I thought. I was very honest and told him I was hoping he could fill in the old channel that was used for the rear sight. He told me he did not think so... and literally the next day he said he liked the idea and worked his magic.

From there he started his work and as you can see from the pics, he sent me a ton of progress shots! I was very impressed and happy that he did as I wanted to share:)

So, here you all go... The original gun, the progress pics, and the final product (when I get the revo back this week, Ill post more close up pics). Would love to hear everyones feedback!

Here are some pics of the original gun as it came from GB:

50110521226_1b19f08155_h.jpg

50110761237_d798661e80_h.jpg

50109952528_138ceaa79b_h.jpg

50109952493_5bf11050e1_h.jpg

50110761162_627fab9926_h.jpg

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    I can’t say enough about Dave Laubert! As mentioned in my OP, the guy is so nice... willing to listen and go in any direction. I’ve dealt with many of the top smiths in the biz and Dave ranks right up there in terms of client relationship and craftsmanship.

Last edited:

danatkins

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    Always loved those guns looks I might someday own one. That's a beauty

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I actually commented on the Instagram post , I love Dave's revolver work and the M73 is epic love the history and durability the revolver has.

Rubix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2020
    Harlan
    Was looking at getting one of these, then 2020 happened. That came out beautiful. It's still on my list, but fell a few rungs to other stuff. Enjoy!

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Oh. My. This turned out STUNNING. I don't know how I missed this thread the first time, but Wow!! I think I've gone back and forth through your pics half a dozen times already. Cool that you were OK taking the 4" barrel down to 3", though I'm not sure I would have been that brave. Good Lord this turned out gorgeous. And x2, love the idea of this being written up and published. Please PLEASE post up more pics when you get it back, and am excited to hear how it shoots once you have time to load it up. Beautifully done!!

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Oh. My. This turned out STUNNING. I don't know how I missed this thread the first time, but Wow!! I think I've gone back and forth through your pics half a dozen times already. Cool that you were OK taking the 4" barrel down to 3", though I'm not sure I would have been that brave. Good Lord this turned out gorgeous. And x2, love the idea of this being written up and published. Please PLEASE post up more pics when you get it back, and am excited to hear how it shoots once you have time to load it up. Beautifully done!!

Yes, barrel chop was Dave’s idea and something he is known for! Since I have another 4” MR73, I figured why not make this one real one of a kind... and since Dave was he one who pushed for it, I rolled!

Its on its way home tomorrow, so as soon as I get it in hand, I’ll post most pics etc!

Cheers:)

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Yes, barrel chop was Dave’s idea and something he is known for! Since I have another 4” MR73, I figured why not make this one real one of a kind... and since Dave was he one who pushed for it, I rolled.
    Ahh, I didn't know you already had a 4", cool, and good decision! I'm definitely a fan of 3" barrels. I had a 3" 686+ that I probably should have kept in hind sight, but opted for the 2.75" 66-8 when those came out. I can see why Dave is known for this modification, it ended up looking like it should have come that way from the factory. The final proportions aesthetically look *just right*. And with that slab-sided barrel to boot... :drool:

Top Bottom