• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    A few years ago, my dad scored a deal on a Bersa Thunder .380. He let me shoot it and I didn't like it. It felt like hitting a fence post with an aluminum bat. It really stung the web of my hand. My dad had no issues as did my wife. They loved shooting it. So after a reluctant trade with my dad, I ended up with it.

While listening to the Handgun Radio Podcast, the host was talking about his old Sig 230, which is also a Walther PPK copy, like the Bersa. He said the same thing I had felt. During the discussion, replacing the recoil spring was brought up. Sounded like a good idea.

I checked online and found Eagle Imports was the only supplier, but they were out of stock. Several weeks went by and they finally had them. So I ordered two. When they showed up, I stripped the Bersa down and compared the old spring vs the new one. Almost 1 1/2" shorter.

Mv5x1pB.jpg

I had enough time for one mag as I stopped by the range for about 30 seconds. I think it does make a big difference. But it's been several years since I had fired it. But it didn't hurt. Seems like the new spring keeps the slide from "bottoming out" against the frame, this no more harsh feeling recoil. I plan on taking the old spring out at my next range session and compare them back to back.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Recoil springs / assemblies are really a consumable maintenance item. I have always been surprised that firearm manufacturers do not have a better maintenance, cleaning, parts replacement schedule. I know some manufacturers recommend replacing recoil assemblies at some interval, but by the nature of a semi-automatic handgun or rifle springs should be replaced at some interval.

Just this year I've had the recoil assembly for an LC9S fail. Based upon functional failures I had been experiencing I suspect the recoil assembly had degraded and been moving toward a hard failure for some time.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Recoil springs / assemblies are really a consumable maintenance item. I have always been surprised that firearm manufacturers do not have a better maintenance, cleaning, parts replacement schedule. I know some manufacturers recommend replacing recoil assemblies at some interval, but by the nature of a semi-automatic handgun or rifle springs should be replaced at some interval.

Just this year I've had the recoil assembly for an LC9S fail. Based upon functional failures I had been experiencing I suspect the recoil assembly had degraded and been moving toward a hard failure for some time.

I don't doubt this a bit. They should be replaced with use. Just like mag springs. Granted some models last a lot longer than others, but it's a really cheap part. (Well, except for the captured guide rod/spring assembly. But still not that bad.)

I'm still surprised the felt recoil difference in the Bersa though. I might actually like this gun.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The mainspring under the hammer does much more to absorb the inertia generated by the slide when it comes back and stops as the hammer is recocked. The recoil springs real purpose is to return the slide forward with just enough energy to strip a round off the mag and place the gun in battery. That's all it's supposed to do. You might want to replace your mainspring too if it is as old as the recoil spring.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I replaced the recoil spring on all the Ruger P-Series pistols that I've purchased...and it's made a huge difference from the get-go.
    Glocks...not so much of a difference is felt...although I do run a heavier recoil spring in the Glock .45's...G-21 and G-30S models.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The mainspring under the hammer does much more to absorb the inertia generated by the slide when it comes back and stops as the hammer is recocked. The recoil springs real purpose is to return the slide forward with just enough energy to strip a round off the mag and place the gun in battery. That's all it's supposed to do. You might want to replace your mainspring too if it is as old as the recoil spring.

That makes sense.

Top Bottom