• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    Looking at getting another wheel gun in 22lr. I’m liking the 10shot option. Which would be better, cost aside. Fit n finish? Better trigger of two? Same quality? I like the fiber optic front sight on the Ruger. Does it just come down to personal preference?

not that well versed in the revolver world, only own 2; subsequently both are Rugers but are SA only so have no idea how the DA would be from them.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I have used S&W since my USAF issue Model 15 in 1986 I have never had an issue with their revolvers. Rugers I have had a hit and miss relationship with so by that I'd drive towards the Smith but that's just my experience.

I also was considering a S&W 617

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The obvious answer is to buy one of each.

Personally, you can't go wrong with either. Both will outlast you and your kids. Buy whichever you can find or whichever one you like best.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    My preference would be the Smith. I had a beautiful M17 that I sold, and I sorely regret it. The Rugers just don't feel as good in my hand.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    What BT said.

I have an older 617 (6-shot). I will never sell it. It is so nice and very accurate. I have picked off squirrels and birds with it many times over the years.

I was introduced to Smith revolvers early on and have since stuck with them. If it had been Rugers in the early years, I would probably be with them.

To me the aesthetics of the Smiths are better than the Rugers. Not as clunky looking.

That said, when it comes to SA revolvers, I'm a Ruger fan through and through. I don't even look at another brand SA.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My preference would be the Smith. I had a beautiful M17 that I sold, and I sorely regret it. The Rugers just don't feel as good in my hand.

I am glad I never sold mine. I did sell a 586 that took me 20 years to replace. Not doing that again. I'm not too proud to have a safe queen. Never know when I might decide to dedicate season to shooting revolvers.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I do not have experience with the Ruger 22 revolvers. I do have a 6-shot model 17 and a 10 shot 617. More than half my handguns are revolvers. Most of my revolvers are S&W, but here is my advise:

- Get the Ruger if you are going to shoot iron sights and want a FO front sight. Might be nice for Steel Challenge as well as range/plinking gun.

- Get a 617 if you want to add a red dot sight. The models 617-1 and newer will be drilled and tapped from the factory. The Weaver base (#401) for that is pretty cheap. Also good for Steel Challenge and range/plinking gun, just depends on your eyesight.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    I do not have experience with the Ruger 22 revolvers. I do have a 6-shot model 17 and a 10 shot 617. More than half my handguns are revolvers. Most of my revolvers are S&W, but here is my advise:

- Get the Ruger if you are going to shoot iron sights and want a FO front sight. Might be nice for Steel Challenge as well as range/plinking gun.

- Get a 617 if you want to add a red dot sight. The models 617-1 and newer will be drilled and tapped from the factory. The Weaver base (#401) for that is pretty cheap. Also good for Steel Challenge and range/plinking gun, just depends on your eyesight.

could I change the front sight out to fiber optic on the smith?

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    could I change the front sight out to fiber optic on the smith?

Yes and there are several manufactures that make front sights.
    617's have a fairly short front sight on them Hi-Vis and Dawson should have what you need.
    I have replaced several and some like taller sights so I replaced the rear blade with a taller one and the front with a taller FO sight.
    The new sight will have to be drilled as they don't come that way when new.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    Well since I can only find the smith in stock, I think I’m gonna go with that. Looked at some front sight paint instead of switching out to fiber optic, going with fluorescent orange.

Going with fate that is pointing me in the smith direction!

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Well since I can only find the smith in stock, I think I’m gonna go with that. Looked at some front sight paint instead of switching out to fiber optic, going with fluorescent orange.

Going with fate that is pointing me in the smith direction!

you shoukd be able to switch out the Smiths to a Fiber Ootic The new one have a pin you can remove. Several folks I shoot Bowling Pins with have chenged theres to FO

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    you shoukd be able to switch out the Smiths to a Fiber Ootic The new one have a pin you can remove. Several folks I shoot Bowling Pins with have chenged theres to FO

Thanks, good to know...I see how the paint works first and if doesn’t do it for me I’ll definitely switch over to the FO.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have used orange front sights on my revolvers for years. They were fine until my eyes aged. I can still shoot them though.

Unlike my 442 which has a black front blade. I need to do something about that. I'll probably paint it orange or if I decide to keep it, add the orange filler that comes on other Smith blades.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Had many of the .22LR revolvers: I never met one I didn't like. :)
    I had a new Ruger GP100 and it irritated me that it wasn't more accurate than a used Taurus Tracker 900 that I had for half the price.
    I have an 80s version of the SW 617 (M17-4) and it is marvelous, a better gun than the 617 that I fired at the range.

A couple of years ago I went to an LGS to buy a new S/W 617 (my dream .22 revolver at the time) since they just didn't come up used, and if they did people were asking more than what I could buy one new.
    They didn't have any in stock & at the time & so I just bought the Ruger GP100 for $100 less.
    They put the Ruger in my hand & I caved. :dunno:
    Both it and the Taurus had a DA pull that wasn't fun, but fine with SA, but I enjoy shooting a revolver DA, especially at steel.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    On a brand new 10 shot 22 revolver I would go for the Smith as it is factory drilled and tapped for a optics base. Even if I could still see sights well I would probably still get the Smith. In my experience of shooting revolvers through the years all the Smiths I have shot or owned had a nice clean crisp SA trigger. For those shooting mostly DA action not a real factor.

With that said I do own a 617 but an older (1996) 6 shot . I have rediscovered DA action shooting since buying it a few months ago.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    So I just received my new sw617! It’s a real beauty, and hefty one at that! But I like that; feels like a real mans revolver haha.

I will say the DA is smooth but damn if it’s not a finger strainer. It’s every bit of the stated 12-13# pull. The SA is nice; clean brisk break.

i did go ahead and paint the front sight orange and liking how it turned out. Going to hold off on the fiber optic for now.

overall I’m pleased with what I got and don’t regret getting this over the Ruger.

image.jpg image.jpg

Top Bottom