• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rubix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2020
    Harlan
    I read that the non-decocker series respond "better" to action work than their decocker brethren. I'm looking at 75s, P-01s and SP-01s currently. Is there any truth to this? I'm looking to fully cajunize. Also, now that CZ prices are kind of jacked up, should I look more at Sig? I mean, CZ + $300+ in parts is past Sig pricing and I don't have to buy $300 in parts for the Sig. Basically the goal is a DA pull in the area of 6-7 pounds with 100% primer reliability.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    It seems largely that the camps are either Sig or CZ, but there's not often a cross pollination between the two. I fall pretty firmly in the CZ camp myself, just never warmed up to Sig's offerings the way I did with CZ, and how they point so naturally and fit my hand really well.

I believe you are correct that "safety" models seem to respond to Cajunization better than decocker models do. Decockers have more springs and bits and pieces for sure, which collectively add to the trigger pull geometry. But the real answer to the question is HOW FAR do you want to go with the CZ. On the surface it's spendy to put another $300+ worth of parts into a $600 pistol, but you don't HAVE to. I've had very good results with the $50 Cajun Gunworks Ultra-Lite Kit, which IMO addresses what I consider the primary weak points on a CZ's stock trigger. For a little more you can also add the floating trigger pin and reduced power trigger return spring. Grips are subjective, but I also prefer thinner G10 grips to the stock rubber palm swells. I think newer production models have slightly better sights, but the stock sights on mine were almost there more for decoration than practicality, so I went with a Dawson Precision FO front and left the rear alone.

Sorry for the long-winded subjective answer, but for me, it was worth another $150 or so in Cajun parts, grips and a better front sight for the CZ. Absolutely NO knock on Sigs if you're a fan, but they never felt as "right" in my hands as a CZ compact does. No doubt there are as many Sig fans who feel the same way in reverse, and rightfully so for them.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    Easy to tell I’m a cz fan but also do like sigs. Imo the safety model CZs are the best of what’s mentioned. Cajun parts are totally optional. For decocker models I do like the sigs a little better. No real reason for it. Just like the way they feel

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I read that the non-decocker series respond "better" to action work than their decocker brethren...

I think this is incorrect and it is the Omega triggers that don't respond as well as the safety and decoder models.

Paging Mr. Wizard...

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    My 75 pre B responded very well with a cajunizing. Think I paid under 400 for my surplus 1986. Would like to find and fit a new barrel if possible even though the factory one still performs well.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    ...it is the Omega triggers that don't respond as well as the safety and decoder models.
    Oof, I meant to mention the Omega trigger in my earlier reply. I think there is truth in this. I've installed the Ultra-Lite Kit in a few CZ pistols now. My son's safety compact responded ever so slightly better than a couple PCR decocker models I've done, but my P-01 Omega didn't feel as "improved" as either of the "traditional" CZ trigger models. This could be because the Omega doesn't have as far to go to make it better, but in my experience the Cajun results (while still very much worth doing) weren't as dramatic with the Omega trigger.

But yes, Mr. Wizard is IMO the most trusted authority on this.

Edit: the worst of the upgrades is without a doubt the front sight. That little roll pin was designed by Satan himself. Getting it out is a piece of cake, but it's a serious test in patience to get it back in. And you MUST have it to keep the barrel bushing from walking itself out. Order a few extra roll pins if you want to do this surgery yourself. #$%#@%.

Last edited:

Rubix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2020
    Harlan
    I guess I should say it's more for a concealed carry piece. I should put full-sizes on the back burner. Initially I was drawn to the P-01, but the decocker thing gives me mixed feelings. The 75 compact seems more up my alley, in addition to the "safety" models in full-size in the future. I guess I don't "need" the pro-package, it's more of a, "while I'm in there" thing. I'd also want to change the sights and get some VZ/Lok G-10 thin grips. I guess I'm right at Sig Legion pricing there.

CZ has a lower bore-axis and feels better in the hand, for me anyways. I guess I'm debating what I'd prefer in the end. A fully canjunized CZ or 229 Legion. I realize there's a lot of subjectivity there. I'd still change some springs in the Legion for reliability testing on a reduced DA pull. I feel like I've heard, "Yeah, Sig P series tuned are great, but have you ever experienced a CZ cajunized?" I don't know if that's a thing or not.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    My personal preference for a carry gun would not be the full pro package as it can provide too light of a SA trigger pull. The CGW defensive pistol package or Ultra light kit would be a better choice. Just my opinion.

sempifi99

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2020
    Fort Wayne
    A couple of my coworkers have sigs and are very happy with them, if you can find one now is another question. I was looking and couldn't find one so I ended up going another direction myself.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have a couple CZs still. I sold off one or two others. I just didn't really care for them. out of the box, the triggers aren't very good. I don't like the way the slide fits inside the rails leaving me little room to grab hold of the slide. Sigs have a lot better triggers out of the box. But since they have discontinued the P239 and the P225a1, there really isn't any small carry pistols unless you go to the striker fired, plastic guns. There is the P938 which is a nice small pistol but it is more 1911ish than Sigish. So that will leave you looking at a P229 or M11a1. Don't get me wrong, those are outstanding pistols. I love my M11a1. But they are tough for concealed carry. They are almost full size, all metal, fairly heavy guns.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I prefer the CZ decocker over the Sigs decocker, and I always ride the slide release on the Sigs.
    They are both quality, handle both to see which one feels best. I sold all my sigs

Rubix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2020
    Harlan
    SA in the 4 pound region seems about right. Is there a consensus of what the pro-package gets it to? I'm having trouble finding anything local too. I'm looking at online stuff and even then it's scarce. I won't go into the $2500+ "new" pythons on these sites. I'd like one of them too, but I wonder if Colts "fixes" make them worth buying when/if they catch up with production/demand.

llh1956

CZ Wizard
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Lawrence, IN.
    The CZ line fit my hand perfect and has the low bore access that I like. For myself I prefer the Pro kit on my CZ's and my carry gun is the PCR with about a 3.12 lbs. SA and a 5.12 lbs. butter smooth DA. You have a choice in hammer springs to get the break weight you prefer from 11.5 lbs. 13.0 lbs. 15 lbs. On your stock CZ what you feel in the SA/DA is a direct result of the geometry between the hammer, sear, disconnector & firing pin block. The FP block consist of the block, heavy block spring, lifter arm & spring. The stock lifter arm has a lot to do in combination with the stock hammer and disco that gives you the long take up and pull through until the hammer breaks. The stock hammer has a .040 shelf before hammer break. A Cajun hammer's shelf is .009 for a much quicker hammer break and better geometry. The disconnector causes more take up in a stock CZ and the Cajun disco's ground lifter arm offer shorter trigger travel. If you want the up most take up reduction you can get the oversized disco and hand fit the SA & DA sides. This is very time consuming with a lot of fitting & installing to test reset. The inside leg of the disco controls the take up & reset of the SA and the short shelf of the disco controlling the DA break & reset. I have learn many tricks, tips from David & Scott from CGW! As far as a polymer CZ the SP-01 Phantom is the Cadillac for me! Combine the Cajun goodies with a polishing of the internals and you are done!
    As far as manual safety vs decocker I like the manuals but have done many de-cocker's that have fantastic triggers on them even with a couple of extra parts, the de-cocker lever and it's spring next to the sear spring. One thing I really like about the de-cocker is that the sear cage is more secure than a manual CZ. It not only has the back shelf that the sear cage slides under the sear cage pin goes through the frame and sear cage. On the manual the shelf and thumb safety secure the sear cage and allows movement of the sear cage. I have done many of the Omega guns and as good as they turn out it is far below what can be done with a 75 series and above. The P-10 line is below the Omegas for me and I have had a C & S model polished up with all the Cajun goodies but were not my cup of tea!
    Sorry to be so long winded but it happens sometimes.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom