• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Has anyone done any of Chuck Pressburgs no fail drills?

The drill uses a B8 target and you must keep all 10 rounds in the black/9 ring at 25 yards.

The actual drill should be done off a draw and 2 rounds fired with under a 3.5 second split. 10 times

I personally like Steve Fishers take on the drill where it calls for 10 rounds at 25 yards 10 min max time.

Yesterday I had my best target of two out of the black in the 8 ring (B8) and it scored a 92.

Curious to hear if others have tried/done this... and if they find it as challenging as I do.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    No but I am currently doing Kyle Defoors hat drill everytime I go to the range first thing. It is very similar.

Defoor Proformance Pistol Hat Qual

Standing from 25 yds into an NRA B-8 Repair center. Using an electronic shooting timer draw and fire 10 rounds under 20 seconds and score 90 or better during a class. Three attempts only. Passing score receives a DPS hat.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Sounds more like a bullseye slowfire time limit.

Lol... it’s not. The point is being able to be confident in what you can do in a potentially horrible situation. Will you ever need to make or take a shot 75 feet? Probably never... if you absolutely had to could you... accurately and consistently? If that answer is no, then there is a problem.

Being able to shoot a 100 on a B8 target at 25 yards has nothing to do with bullseye shooting and everything to do with training effectively.

You you can shoot this, a target at 7 yards fast fire is not a big deal at all.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Sounds like that drill could be ammo dependent. Some of the cheap stuff I shoot may not cut it. :dunno:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Standing from 25 yds into an NRA B-8 Repair center. Using an electronic shooting timer draw and fire 10 rounds under 20 seconds and score 90 or better during a class. Three attempts only. Passing score receives a DPS hat.

Yeah that is more like lt and makes a lot more sense for a defensive drill.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Shot these two today!

50145849733_53b82838bd_b.jpg

50146393556_f9e12c4b78_b.jpg

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Nice shooting. What gun and ammo combo were you using. Were you doing the Pressburg or Fisher version?

Chambers Custom Pro Series Gun: Regulator

Ill have a write up on it in the next few days, but it was built to Jared Reston’s Spec. (Reston Reston Group LLC)

I was shooting Fishers version as I can’t shoot that fast at 25 yards yet... It certainly didn’t take 10 mins... but def not 3 second splits as Chucks drill takes.

Also was shooting hand loads... 115gr round nose bullet over 4.5gr of 231.

SnGXTmp.jpg
    CWNfiRX.jpg

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Lol... it’s not. The point is being able to be confident in what you can do in a potentially horrible situation. Will you ever need to make or take a shot 75 feet? Probably never... if you absolutely had to could you... accurately and consistently? If that answer is no, then there is a problem.

Being able to shoot a 100 on a B8 target at 25 yards has nothing to do with bullseye shooting and everything to do with training effectively.

So the gun you shot the targets with is your defensive pistol, the one you might have to make a 25 yard shot with one day with things go horrible? Don't get me wrong , very good shooting but is a custom gun.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    So the gun you shot the targets with is your defensive pistol, the one you might have to make a 25 yard shot with one day with things go horrible? Don't get me wrong , very good shooting but is a custom gun.

What’s your point? The gun is built for duty use and training? I know, most guys who buy $7k gun let em sit in a safe and look at them...

The gun will get carried for duty and combat use as well as in training classes. And honestly, even as a daily carry gun as it’s no bigger than the 5” 1911’s I’ve carried for years.

So yeah, my custom gun is the one I will practice with since it’s the one that was built for me to carry, to do most damage With, and put to work.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    What’s your point? The gun is built for duty use and training? I know, most guys who buy $7k gun let em sit in a safe and look at them...

The gun will get carried for duty and combat use as well as in training classes. And honestly, even as a daily carry gun as it’s no bigger than the 5” 1911’s I’ve carried for years.

So yeah, my custom gun is the one I will practice with since it’s the one that was built for me to carry, to do most damage With, and put to work.

Well if that is what you normally carry then more power to you. I know the optics definitely make the challenge much easier to accomplish especially with a 10 minute time limit. But to be honest I use optics on most of my guns fired at 25 yards or longer. Still some nice targets you shot.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

If your trainer is telling you that practice at distance with a leisurely pace of 1 min/shot will build the ability to do it “when it matters”, get a new trainer.

Real situation will involve acute time pressure and stress. If your training lacks those, it’s just bullseye practice.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Too bad indoor ranges won't let you shoot from a draw.

You can certainly lay your pistol down, pick it up, present and fire though!

If your trainer is telling you that practice at distance with a leisurely pace of 1 min/shot will build the ability to do it “when it matters”, get a new trainer.

Real situation will involve acute time pressure and stress. If your training lacks those, it’s just bullseye practice.

When a random forum member tell you Chuck Pressburg and Steve Fisher don’t know what they are saying... lmao. Look them up.

With that said, As mentioned in the OP, the Pressburg version of a box drill is not this drill.

Anyway, you shoot the way you would like, I’ll do the same. With that said, Want me to dump 20 into a B8/A zone at 10 feet in under 10? No problem. Lol.

Gotta love the internet.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I carry auto's that is military issue and a lot of them were considered good to go if they could keep 2" at 25'. It would be nice to carry custom built guns that could shoot an anis out of a nat at a 1000 yards but most factory guns that are carried do good if they can keep a 3"-4" grouping at 25 yards. A good gunsmith can most times make a gun shoot good but you pay for the work. Put your carry gun in a mechanical rest shoot 50 rounds at target at 25 yards to find out how good your gun shoots. If gun can't do 2", unless you get lucky, you won't either with it.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008

Exactly , in the Glock match at Camp Perry the time limit is 15 seconds for 10 shots at 25 yards. A lot more difficult to shoot perfect scores. Taking my time with optics I usually stretch it out to 50 yards.

Attachments

• a 1 1911 at 50 yards.jpg
      a 1 1911 at 50 yards.jpg
      146.4 KB · Views: 10

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING

No offence meant what so ever, great firearm option for law enforcement, and great shooting, but might be a bit big for discrete carry especially warm weather IWB carry and not likely an option for non LEO concealed carriers like myself. How does one make carrying a full sized 1911 in 90*++ temps and 90%-95% humidity actually work and wish to remain undetected and not sweat in extreme, profuse amounts?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    No offence meant what so ever, great firearm option for law enforcement, and great shooting, but might be a bit big for discrete carry especially warm weather IWB carry and not likely an option for non LEO concealed carriers like myself. How does one make carrying a full sized 1911 in 90*++ temps and 90%-95% humidity actually work and wish to remain undetected and not sweat in extreme, profuse amounts?

With a light, loose, breathable overshirt it is not that hard. (think hawaiian, but not as gaudy)

Top Bottom