• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've sold many of my 9mm, but picked up a couple.
    Below is the Springfield XD-S 3.3" barrel with 7 & 9 rd mags I picked up yesterday when I went into Rural King to buy some ammo.
    W6pkppe.jpg

Range pics from today testing out the XD-S, with a couple of the others.
    The XD-S was shooting low for me (the Sig 365 was worse); I had to learn to put the front sight over where I wanted to hit.
    The 3 blue squares were 7/8" and from 21'.
    The practice target before this had better shots on it.
    All from a hand rest.
    xVmU5lg.jpg

The Rami is always a pleasure to shoot.
    The trigger is different than anything else I've had.
    I can't anticipate the "wall."
    gL6eVEd.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Compared the new Springfield XD-S 3.3" barrel to the Sig 365.
    Close, with the 365 edging out perhaps, but for CC, not an issue.
    I really like the feel of the XD in my hand, plus since it is heavier, I like it even more for shooting.

All 21' on a rest.
    Blue squares are 7/8 inch.
    9gKMrNh.jpg

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I got to finally get out last Thursday to Point Blank Carmel, it had been a long time, I shot a new to me, Glock-19, a nice Glock-17, and my wifes new to us Glock-43.
    As I was leaving I pulled out my EDC Glock-27 and sent some .40 love down range.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just had to have some time with the 9mm.
    Been neglecting them for .22LR rifles.
    kXM88Jo.jpg

#1-#4 are done with a Kahr CW9.
    First time shooting this model & it tightened up by the 4th target.
    XfngoZD.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    In all your 9mm you've had, curious if you've had a chance to shoot the Glock 43?

Yes.
    I've had Glock:
    - 42: not impressed & gave up on .380 anyway
    - 43: not impressed compared to so many other good 9mm subcompact choices
    - 26: loved it & favorite gun for awhile until I tried out some other brands like it (CZ Rami primarily)
    - 17: loved it & it was delightfully accurate, my favorite Glock.

I have no dog in the fight & no natural preference for any brand.
    These are just the observations of a true novice.
    I am surprised with Glock's wonderful reputation & fans, that it doesn't have a better trigger.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...I am surprised with Glock's wonderful reputation & fans, that it doesn't have a better trigger.

It's a self defense/fighting gun...not a target pistol. It has a decent trigger for it's intended purpose and most certainly gets the job done. Does fine gaming on paper and steel too if you learn the trigger.

BT802

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I'm not experienced enough to the point where the trigger feel is anything that I even notice honestly. Just looking for a simple, reliable piece to use for EDC. Glock is proven and my 27 has never had an issue in 11 years, that was my thinking behind it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It's a self defense/fighting gun...not a target pistol. It has a decent trigger for it's intended purpose and most certainly gets the job done. Does fine gaming on paper and steel too if you learn the trigger.

Your observation is spot-on, as usual.
    I almost added in my original post that it's not a target gun, so it not an issue for its intended use for its intended clientele.
    For my eyes, my 17 was as accurate as anything else I shot.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    A few years ago when I was trying to decide between a Glock 43 and Smith Shield Gen1 9mm I ended up renting them and fired a box of rounds between the two. The trigger was was the main factor in my decision to go with the Shield. The rental G43 in comparison had an overly heavy trigger in comparison. I shot the Shield better.

Later I picked up a used Glock 42 and actually shoot that pistol pretty well. Spring of last year a G48 with the intention of shooting in the Camp Perry Glock match. Both seemed to have a better trigger then the rental G43 I fired. Finally last year bought my 3rd Glock - a Gen5 G34 which seems to have the worst trigger of the 3 Glocks.

Despite that the G34 has proven to be one of my most accurate centerfire semi-autos I have owned. Although it does seem to shoot the first manually fed round out of the group. Fired this a few weeks ago standing from 25 yards , the G34 is a MOS version and has a Vortex Venom.

Attachments

• a 1 G34.jpg
      a 1 G34.jpg
      43.4 KB · Views: 14

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Wow 700 LTR 223, that looks like my 21' round firing free hand, or maybe 30' if I'm using a rest!

If it were not for the Vortex Venom the target would be much worse , trust me! Also been shooting handguns for 30+ years and used to shoot 22 bullseye pistol leagues .

After firing the G34 I went on to fire a Smith 357 , Ruger 22/45 and Smith 617. All felt like match triggers after the G34 and I fired my best 25 yard targets ever with all 3 guns!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Indoor range at Pt. Blk. in Greenwood & shooting some steel at MCF&G.
    21' on a rest using CCI Blazer 124 gr. solid copper nose.
    I can't believe the Ruger P89 showed so poorly, along with the XD-S Mod2 3.3" b/c they did much better on a practice target.
    Can't blame the wind on that! :dunno:

UCh4LOE.jpg

I shot at 5 steel plates at 55' today with these five 9mm.
    There were four 6-8 inch & one 8x11 inch steel targets.

XD-S M2 3", 7 & 9 rds = 5/9 rds hit
    XD M2 Service 4", 16 rds = 5/5 rds hit
    CZ Rami = 5/5 rds hit
    CZ Shadow 2 = 5/10 rds hit (embarrassing) :ugh:
    Ruger P89: Terrible shooting: I didn't even write it down it was so bad, b/c I was missing 1 or 2 or 3 even 4 rds per plate.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    View attachment 93404 Sorry it’s sideways, drove 7 hrs from Fishers to Kalkaska Michigan.
    My Glock-23 on my hip. I got out at the family’s cabin, unloaded my Honda CRV and then unloaded 3 magazines of .40 into a target I tacked to a tree.
    Not at all perfect, but works for me.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    View attachment 93404 Sorry it’s sideways, drove 7 hrs from Fishers to Kalkaska Michigan.
    My Glock-23 on my hip. I got out at the family’s cabin, unloaded my Honda CRV and then unloaded 3 magazines of .40 into a target I tacked to a tree.
    Not at all perfect, but works for me.

Looks great to me!
    Distance?

I had a SW 4006 stainless, all metal .40 caliber, with adjustable sights that had "no" recoil due to it's weight & loved it: another gun I should have kept.

I had a Glock 17 for a minute & loved how accurate it was.
    I bought it off an LEO in Greenfield for $400 & sold it for the same since I didn't need it but always wanted to try a large Glock out.
    Most accurate of any of the Glocks I had: 26, 42, 43 & 44.

Curious about the 43x, since I've discovered for CC, I love a slim 9mm for carry like the Kahr CT9 I wish never sold (bought from a member here for $250 & sold later for the same) & the XD-S M2 3.3" (like it better than the Sig 365 I sold).
    I'm tired of making excuses for a short grip: I like a 5" height, not a 4" & a 4.5" in minimal.
    Right now I'm trying to see if an XD M2 4" Special will take it's place since it is not much bigger for CC with my favorite N8 Tactical Tuckable holsters I use now that someone here put me onto (grip only .2" wider, height same & 1" longer barrel not matter).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Rent a 43x, you have owned or tried just about everything else, why not. Mine pinched my grip but it’s a nice gun.

Good point, and if I get bored this winter, I'll do that along with renting others I've not tried at Pt. Blk.
    I have been so busy with .22 rifles at the outdoor range & .22LR handguns for the indoor range that I haven't bothered trying out the 43x yet.
    I have no need for it since I was happy with my Kimber 6s revolver & whatever 9mm I have at the time.
    I'm really more curious than anything, but I can't buy it like I usually will do just to try out, b/c the 43x doesn't come up for sale used at my "value" pricing, especially with prices inflated lately.

Top Bottom