• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    So, it's been a long time dream of mine to own a Colt 1911. I think maybe it's about time to finally pick one up.

So what do I want, what should I look for.

I'd like it to be the standard size and in 45.

The competition shooter seems pretty rad.

But I know almost zero about them.

What do you love, what do you hate and why?

Tia
    Fmj

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    If your heart is set on a Colt, I would say the competition model is the one to get. There are a few in the same price range that also stand out. It comes down to personal preference. I would check fit and finish before dropping the coin on one. Google some reviews, that may help in your decision.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Bought the Stainless Competition Government model. Very happy with it. It shoots like a friggin laser. Has some sharp edges on it that need to be knocked off but overall fit and finish were outstanding. Great gun.

Bob

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    If your heart is set on a Colt, I would say the competition model is the one to get. There are a few in the same price range that also stand out. It comes down to personal preference. I would check fit and finish before dropping the coin on one. Google some reviews, that may help in your decision.

The Competition is a good choice, that series has nice under cut trigger guards too and they all have been changed back to series 70 style. The Competition Plus is nice, it has the two-tone finish and 25lpi checkering as well. I agree, if at all possible pick one out in person and make sure the fit and finish is acceptable. When I got my Series 70 repro I checked out several before picking one up. If you like the traditional style the new Classic line looks good too.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    As RR said, it’s good to see the gun in person before buying it due to fit/finish issues with some Colts. My 9mm O1992 has the sloppiest frame/slide fit I’ve ever seen on 1911s. That said though, it runs very well. Colt’s are not the best fit guns out there but I don’t recall having reliability issues with any of the one’s I’ve had.

The sloppy fit issue really is just a personal preference thing if it does not impact function. Fit issues other than the slide/frame are somewhat easier to correct if desired. For instance, I ordered a custom cut barrel bushing from EGW for both my 9mm and 10mm Colts to tighten the fit up and improve accuracy. A custom cut barrel bushing is a drop in part that requires no gunsmithing if the barrel and slide are measured correctly before ordering.

Colts have forged frames and slides and if you find one with a reasonably good fit, they can make a great basis for custom builds down the road as the 1911 addiction bites hard. Or, you can just buy one, change the grips to something you prefer and then run it for fun for decades and just enjoy it for what it is.

Shooting a 1911 is like shaking hands with John Wayne.

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I already have a Remington 1911. I love it, I bought it bc it was the only 1911 I could afford at the time.

Now I think it's time to start visiting my favorite guns shops and try and find a Colt.

Thanks for all the input!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Personally I like the old ones, the basic 1911 or 1911A1. I know they don't shoot as accurately as newer or fixed up guns, but I like the look and the history. The history goes with the name and it never goes away so it's value that stays with a gun.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I have had some different 1911s. Some Colts in the mix. I'm looking at Dan Wessons now. I may not make it into them, but it is where I would like to go.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2020
    LaPorte
    If you're set on a Colt, then a standard Government model should do. Go out and shoot it and make sure it works. After a while, you may have the urge for better sights, etc. but the Government model would probably be the way to go. Stainless? possibly, given the way blue steel may rust. Or, buy a basic model, try it, and then have a competent gunsmith make modifications that you may need.

dekindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2020
    Noblesville
    Found a blued competition model 45 acp with blue grips. Used but does not appear to have been shot much.

Average price before covid/civil unrest?
    Today's market?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    A little more than a week ago I found a basic Colt 1911 at the shop in Greenfield so it went home with me.

I ordered new grips for it that should arrive today. I'll post a pic when I get them installed.

Eventually it will get night sights and some kind of trigger job.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    A little more than a week ago I found a basic Colt 1911 at the shop in Greenfield so it went home with me.

I ordered new grips for it that should arrive today. I'll post a pic when I get them installed.

Eventually it will get night sights and some kind of trigger job.
    I think I looked at that one, glad you picked it up. It was one of the new C models with the new roll marks, that one had a nice fit all the way around.

Top Bottom