• ...and so much more!
  • T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Same as the Tisas in the past, SDS is now the importer. The one I have listed was imported by Zenith. From what I've seen and experienced, they seem to be better quality than RIA, Taurus, ATI. I've had mine fully detail stripped and saw nothing that gave me any concerns.

three50seven

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Miami County
    I bought one a couple months ago. It's the full size "Duty" model. It's tight and slick and functions properly. I've put around 200 rounds through it and haven't had any issues, other than it shoots a little low with 230gr ammo.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK. Personal opinion only and absolutely no knock on OP or anybody that has or wants one of these pieces.

It depends on what you intend to use it for. Throwing lead for giggles at the range...???\
    Accuracy...???
    Self Defense...???

How many rounds a year will it see.

My concern with these offerings is metallurgy and are they in spec.
    I like to "Enhance" my hand guns and they need to be in spec for this to happen without re-designing the entire gun. Most of the off shore offerings are not.
    They still run and can fill a number of roles. If you buy one I wish you the best.

three50seven

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Miami County
    I see them as a way for people who are curious about 1911's to try out and experience one without investing a ton of money. I gave $400 for mine and it has a lot of options that guns twice the price don't have.

Are they top-shelf guns made with top-shelf parts? Of course not. But they are functional and fun to shoot.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    OK. Personal opinion only and absolutely no knock on OP or anybody that has or wants one of these pieces.

It depends on what you intend to use it for. Throwing lead for giggles at the range...???\
    Accuracy...???
    Self Defense...???

How many rounds a year will it see.

My concern with these offerings is metallurgy and are they in spec.
    I like to "Enhance" my hand guns and they need to be in spec for this to happen without re-designing the entire gun. Most of the off shore offerings are not.
    They still run and can fill a number of roles. If you buy one I wish you the best.
    Everything you have said makes perfect sense, just for giggles at the range!psyko

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I plan to pick up one of their WWI Army GI style 1911's at some point. The reviews are solid and the guns seem to run. They are coming out of Turkey, and they are capable of making both good and bad guns. Personally I'd much prefer the family heirloom 1911 my great grandpa brought back from WWI, but that's not an option. Then I was hoping the CMP 1911's would be a bit more affordable then they turned out to be, but that's not really an option. For something affordable that takes a person back in time a little bit and connects us with our past then I'd be happy to pick up an SDS 1911 for that range toy. Hopefully that gun runs well and if it does I may look at something else they make at a later date.

From everything I've read, I don't think they're a bad gun by any means.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I picked one up in January for well under $400. The pandemic closures slowed my shooting down considerably, so I've only got around 550 rounds through it. Most of it has been FMJ, with about 50 HSTs. Since my only other 1911-A1 is a 1943 Remington-Rand, I was shocked at how tight the SDS is, and how much stiffer the springs are. The trigger is crisp like any 1911, but it started out pretty heavy. It's getting better with use though.

I've had zero failures with any ammo I've tried so far. It feeds HSTs fine, which my Remington-Rand won't reliably do.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I picked one up in January for well under $400. The pandemic closures slowed my shooting down considerably, so I've only got around 550 rounds through it. Most of it has been FMJ, with about 50 HSTs. Since my only other 1911-A1 is a 1943 Remington-Rand, I was shocked at how tight the SDS is, and how much stiffer the springs are. The trigger is crisp like any 1911, but it started out pretty heavy. It's getting better with use though.

I've had zero failures with any ammo I've tried so far. It feeds HSTs fine, which my Remington-Rand won't reliably do.

I seriously would not feed the RR a diet of high pressure rounds. Just saying.
    I re-barreled mine so I could shoot modern ammo with out damaging it. Saved the original barrel of course.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I re-barreled mine so I could shoot modern ammo with out damaging it. Saved the original barrel of course.

I've considered that. I got it in the early 80s, and I have no idea how many rounds it had before I got it, but judging by the condition of the barrel, I'd say it was tens of thousands when I got it. I've tried to avoid any +P stuff in it. If I ever see a barrel for a good price, I'll probably get it.

I'll also say that I've had a fair supply of WWII surplus .45 ACP, and that stuff is HOT! Current commercial stuff is much milder.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

I did the same with my Remington Rand. The original barrel is preserved and I can shoot it all day long without concern for wearing the barrel any more than it had been. The original barrel was marginal anyway but it is good to run that one without worry now.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've considered that. I got it in the early 80s, and I have no idea how many rounds it had before I got it, but judging by the condition of the barrel, I'd say it was tens of thousands when I got it. I've tried to avoid any +P stuff in it. If I ever see a barrel for a good price, I'll probably get it.

I'll also say that I've had a fair supply of WWII surplus .45 ACP, and that stuff is HOT! Current commercial stuff is much milder.

Not sure if this works for your RR thought I'd share it. $70
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005753440

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I have several barrels in my parts box's. If you would like to save your storied weapon send me a PM. You might be surprised.

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I love my Tisas (SDS Imports) 1911 A1. It shoots just as well if not better than my Springfield.

87c0da7ecd0103304b3d015d1678df09.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom