Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11
    Marksman openwell's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NyleRN View Post
    IMO, if you only want 4x then a 1-4x would make sense. Size and weight would be about identical. If you really want a fixed magnification then step up to a SWFA 6x
    that's nice........

    he's got a 7.62x39 which has a rainbow trajectory ......so 6X is very limiting.

    low power variables are great......

    just expensive & not too many come....

    1 X 4 power.

    my Leupold vari-X III in 1.75 X 6 is mounted on my Browning A-bolt in
    7mm-08 and with it I have taken quite a few deer.
    optics are great and I usually start carrying it on 1.75 and dial up as needed.

    Buying a scope now is really difficult because the current ones are expensive.

    the great thing to remember is a very good scope costs more than many rifles that wear them.

    best of all you can tranfer them as needed & Leupold is for life....yours, mine and any one that owns it!
    Last edited by openwell; 1 Week Ago at 16:15. Reason: add text
    No middle game, No end game; just Open the game well. French e4e6

  2. #12
    Master Ggreen's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Swfa has fixed down to a science.

    6x is their lowest fixed though

    https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-6x42-ta....html?___SID=U

  3. #13
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    Fixed power scopes are unfortunately falling out of favor and are being discontinued. You may be able to find a Leupold FXII 4x33mm scope on a shelf somewhere. But if most of your shooting will be inside 100 yards with only a few shots out to 200 yards, you might consider the Leupold FXI 4x28mmm rimfire scope. It's light and compact and would complement a small bolt action rifle. The downside is that the parallax is set to 60 (?) yards, but it can be adjusted at the factory or there are probably how to instructions on rimfire central. The cost is reasonable, and it meets the same test requirements as the rest of the Leupold line.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition

  4. #14
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by openwell View Post
    that's nice........

    he's got a 7.62x39 which has a rainbow trajectory ......so 6X is very limiting.

    low power variables are great......

    just expensive & not too many come....

    1 X 4 power.

    my Leupold vari-X III in 1.75 X 6 is mounted on my Browning A-bolt in
    7mm-08 and with it I have taken quite a few deer.
    optics are great and I usually start carrying it on 1.75 and dial up as needed.

    Buying a scope now is really difficult because the current ones are expensive.

    the great thing to remember is a very good scope costs more than many rifles that wear them.

    best of all you can tranfer them as needed & Leupold is for life....yours, mine and any one that owns it!
    Was figuring on a 25/200 zero but after looking at some ballistic tables figured id try a 50 yard zero And be pretty close out to 150. Shot it today with irons since I donít have a scope yet but a 50 yard zero had me shooting high at 200? Was shooting in the rain so Iíll have to get out on a nicer day to sort it out

  5. #15
    Marksman openwell's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by eddiehelm View Post
    Was figuring on a 25/200 zero but after looking at some ballistic tables figured id try a 50 yard zero And be pretty close out to 150. Shot it today with irons since I donít have a scope yet but a 50 yard zero had me shooting high at 200? Was shooting in the rain so Iíll have to get out on a nicer day to sort it out
    Iron sights & scopes have different trajectory tables!
    understand why?

    scopes with regular height rings are 1.5 inches above bore line.

    iron sights are only 3/4"

    Iron sights I use 12.5 yards to hit zero @ 100 yds. for most calibers. fine adjustment only are then needed

    Same gun with scope I use 25 yards for zero @ 100 yds. again fine adjustments needed

    My SKS using iron sights with Tula 154gr SP ammo sighted in at 100 yds groups about 3 inches...

    I move rear sight up to 300 meter notch and I can group same ammo about 6" group at 200 yds....

    that's from actual range time data and not just from a balistics table.

    BTW you can learn a lot from
    Jack O'Connor's The Hunting Rifle.
    Last edited by openwell; 1 Week Ago at 14:36. Reason: add text
    No middle game, No end game; just Open the game well. French e4e6

  6. #16
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    I've always had good luck with my Simmons ProDiamond scope. Fixed 4x32.

  7. #17
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by openwell View Post
    Iron sights & scopes have different trajectory tables!
    understand why?

    scopes with regular height rings are 1.5 inches above bore line.

    iron sights are only 3/4"

    Iron sights I use 12.5 yards to hit zero @ 100 yds. for most calibers. fine adjustment only are then needed

    Same gun with scope I use 25 yards for zero @ 100 yds. again fine adjustments needed

    My SKS using iron sights with Tula 154gr SP ammo sighted in at 100 yds groups about 3 inches...

    I move rear sight up to 300 meter notch and I can group same ammo about 6" group at 200 yds....

    that's from actual range time data and not just from a balistics table.

    BTW you can learn a lot from
    Jack O'Connor's The Hunting Rifle.
    Makes sense. Always learning something new. Iíll check out the book too, thanks for the recommendation

  8. #18
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    Found that book. Looks like the man wrote quite a bit. $35 well spent, looking forward to reading it

  9. #19
    Marksman openwell's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by eddiehelm View Post
    Found that book. Looks like the man wrote quite a bit. $35 well spent, looking forward to reading it
    You will enjoy it as I have read it many times. His technical advice is wonderful and his writing style flows easily. My copy is first edition with the dust cover well worn. Price tag on my dust jacket $7.89 from Ayr-way in Indianapolis... bought-out by Target end of 1970's.

    I was able to learn enough and to share his knowledge many times at the range over the years.

    Jack's advice on bore-sighting and point-blank-range for big-game rifles has allowed me to take antelope, whitetails and mule deer in many states.

    good luck
    Last edited by openwell; 1 Week Ago at 20:41. Reason: add text from phone
    No middle game, No end game; just Open the game well. French e4e6

  10. #20
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    I remember Ayr-Way. 4th employer


Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •