• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Lost one of our does to a venomous snake. This a.m. was out checking things out after the storm. Usually if I am walking I am not carrying. This needs to change. Today I noticed a water snake in the field thing coiled up at me the whole 9 yards. So I am thinking of the Ruger 22 version of the lcp. I am thinking 22lr because we have a few that are easily frightened. Thoughts? I just want something small for pocket carry, that will be a tool.

Thanks

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Leave the snakes alone. You don't bother them - they won't bother you.

I've never understood the irrational hate that people have for snakes. Just doesn't make sense to me.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

I've never understood the irrational hate that people have for snakes. Just doesn't make sense to me.

If they lost a doe to a snake, I can see his point. And those damned brown watersnakes are ill tempered little bastards.

And I'm a fan of almost any non-venomous snake around the house. Although, the 4' rat snake that was knocking pictures off the shelf in the house last week was not my wife's favorite.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011

Not being sarcastic but did you read the first line? No irrational fear what so ever, just the loss of a purebred registered doe! Which is about a $1k loss. The Necropsy confirmed the cause of death. So clearly the don’t bother them theory is a fail.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    If they lost a doe to a snake, I can see his point. And those damned brown watersnakes are ill tempered little bastards.

And I'm a fan of almost any non-venomous snake around the house. Although, the 4' rat snake that was knocking pictures off the shelf in the house last week was not my wife's favorite.

Exactly if the thing is outside of the goats area no harm no foul. But in the pasture not so much. I don’t care for snakes and a bunch of other things but if it’s not threatening not an issue.

Megasaki

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 1, 2020
    Bloomington
    22 is fine. I have killed large rattlers with 22's and a 41 mag. dead is dead. Ruger's are nice. I had used a standard model for rattler dispatch. That model ruger was very reliable. Not sure about the LCR, but the LCR has a good reputation.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Around my property, I carry a 5 shot 357 with 1 snake shot rount, 2 38 spl fmjs and 2 357 HP rounds in it.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    If it's noise that's your concern and you're mainly concerned with snakes then I would just have a 22 revolver and load it with snake shot round

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Lost one of our does to a venomous snake. This a.m. was out checking things out after the storm. Usually if I am walking I am not carrying. This needs to change. Today I noticed a water snake in the field thing coiled up at me the whole 9 yards. So I am thinking of the Ruger 22 version of the lcp. I am thinking 22lr because we have a few that are easily frightened. Thoughts? I just want something small for pocket carry, that will be a tool.

Thanks

I carry a 38 special snubnose with #4 shot i make my own from speer capsules. It does a great job on copperheads around here. It isn't any louder than what a short barreled 22lr is going to be. Plus it holds a lot more bb and larger size.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

I have 2 black snakes around my home. One is around an 8 feet long female and her lover is about 4 feet long. She likes to stay under my porch eating mice and occasionally birds that nest around it. The 4 feet male stays in one of my outbuildings about 70 feet away.

Seems that distance is required for good female relationships lol.

eddiehelm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2018
    Marion
    I like an sp101 with cci shotshells. If I want to stay lighter I have an .22 lcr that weighs next to nothing and holds 8 shots.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another vote for a 22 revolver with a mix of quiet 22 and shotshells.

I agree with keeping the helpful non venomous snakes. Those things are great. Venomous ones though while still beneficial, as OP learned the risk is not really worth the reward.

Top Bottom