• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Did they get the bugs worked out of these.
    Possibly... but I have seen numerous reports of sketchy craftsmanship, fit-and-finish issues, trouble getting the cylinder release to engage, light primer strikes, etc. But no first-hand experience. Of course with S&W you have to keep a close eye on canted barrels with the way they are torqued using 2-piece barrel/sleeve setups, and with this I do have first-hand experience. But I still like my Smiths. If possible (as with many things), and perhaps these days especially, I think it's a good idea to have your purchase in-hand to inspect with your own eyes if you can find a LGS with inventory.

I just found this video from February that Colt was aware of the issues. But with the pandemic and factories running half-mast, it's hard to say if the issues have been/are being resolved. FWIW.

https://gunnersden.com/are-there-problems-with-the-colt-2020-python-interview-video/

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Possibly... but I have seen numerous reports of sketchy craftsmanship, fit-and-finish issues, trouble getting the cylinder release to engage, light primer strikes, etc. But no first-hand experience. Of course with S&W you have to keep a close eye on canted barrels with the way they are torqued using 2-piece barrel/sleeve setups, and with this I do have first-hand experience. But I still like my Smiths. If possible (as with many things), and perhaps these days especially, I think it's a good idea to have your purchase in-hand to inspect with your own eyes if you can find a LGS with inventory.

I just found this video from February that Colt was aware of the issues. But with the pandemic and factories running half-mast, it's hard to say if the issues have been/are being resolved. FWIW.

https://gunnersden.com/are-there-problems-with-the-colt-2020-python-interview-video/

They had a crap load of issues back in the day. Everyone I owned had a timing issue at some point but I actually ran mine. You know, range time. Shoot them.
    The Anaconda was the most troubled one.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have seen these prices and more for Pythons. Heck, I have been offered a little more than that for my 8 inch Anaconda.

Well, that was before I lost it in that tragic boating accident.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    They had a crap load of issues back in the day. Everyone I owned had a timing issue at some point but I actually ran mine. You know, range time. Shoot them.
    The Anaconda was the most troubled one.
    Right, I recall you posting about this in past threads. To be fair I think any revolver can go out of time if you go Jerry Miculek on it over and over (and over) again, but you aren't the first I've seen mention their experience with their earlier gen snake guns being finicky about timing after normal, honest use. Maybe... maybe it's something about Colt's design where the cylinder rotates the reverse of what Smiths and Rugers do. That's a completely wild guess, but maybe it's something inherent in the Colt engineering that makes them more prone to going out of time?

Sorry to the OP for the mild thread jack, I know this was more shock at current new-gen model pricing than reliability!

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sounds brutal. I've lost sunglasses on a boat, but never anything that goes BANG.
    I'm guessing you're not aware that this is "a thing"... ;)

iu

iu

iu

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Right, I recall you posting about this in past threads. To be fair I think any revolver can go out of time if you go Jerry Miculek on it over and over (and over) again, but you aren't the first I've seen mention their experience with their earlier gen snake guns being finicky about timing after normal, honest use. Maybe... maybe it's something about Colt's design where the cylinder rotates the reverse of what Smiths and Rugers do. That's a completely wild guess, but maybe it's something inherent in the Colt engineering that makes them more prone to going out of time?

Sorry to the OP for the mild thread jack, I know this was more shock at current new-gen model pricing than reliability!

Taking a 44 Mag 8" Anaconda real tree and going JM with it was not what we did. Bang, regroup, cock, aim, bang wash rinse and repeat. This was mainly shot out at 50 to 100 when we ran it. Great fun and yes it was accurate enough dependent on what we fed it. The 300 Gr offerings from Hornady were stellar out of that gun.
    But you compare the ignition controls to my 629 and it was no comparison. The S&W was a jewel compared to the action of the Colt.

rawbeervoter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 13, 2020
    INDIANAPOLIS

No worries. I'm still in the market for a new Python regardless of the reliability issues. The supply chain issues may actually be a blessing in disguise because I've heard Colt has taken feedback from the field and addressing the issues.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Taking a 44 Mag 8" Anaconda real tree and going JM with it was not what we did. Bang, regroup, cock, aim, bang wash rinse and repeat. This was mainly shot out at 50 to 100 when we ran it. Great fun and yes it was accurate enough dependent on what we fed it. The 300 Gr offerings from Hornady were stellar out of that gun.
    But you compare the ignition controls to my 629 and it was no comparison.
    The S&W was a jewel compared to the action of the Colt.

Elmer Keith was well known for shooting large frame Smiths until they were worthless, Smiths service dept would just return them and say sorry Elmer.
    And he did it with cast lead bullets.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No worries. I'm still in the market for a new Python regardless of the reliability issues. The supply chain issues may actually be a blessing in disguise because I've heard Colt has taken feedback from the field and addressing the issues.

Yeah right. Same thing I heard when I owned a few of them. Do not hold your breath.

Top Bottom