• ...and so much more!
  • HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    41C127FE-5EBB-4F3A-B7DF-C3DD9181A10F.jpg
    Usually when I do research on my guns, I can find something comparable. This is 25-2 that is unlike any other I can find on the GB or google right now and I even pulled out my Smith & Wesson Standard Catalog today to try to figure out if this was an aftermarket modified version or is this a special target compensator that was added either by their custom shop or later.

I’m debating selling the darn thing and am trying to understand it a little better before I run with my decision. It looks good, but I’ll never use it, so thoughts on collectibility?

Thanks!

D4E1A8EB-52F8-434A-A04D-082990DBDE7B.jpg 75C78C65-3F33-4CA6-A95F-CD7E84F2EC75.jpeg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Got to be an aftermarket conversion, work looks nice as well. That said, I've got an old Colt New Service like that that was customized sometime in the 30s and it didn't sell for anything more than a regular gun of the same vintage. Collectors typically pay more for "stock" versions, but somebody may pick up that piece because of the cool factor.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Those guns loaded with a soft lead RCBS 300 grain bullet are great. No cannon blast, but hits like a civil war Minie.

HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    Another vote for custom, work looks good.Not sure if it would hurt the price or help it.
    Maybe it was a short barrel bullseye gun.

I'm thinking it's a pretty gun for what it would net, so I'm leaning towards hang on to it.

No wonder I can't find anything else like it, if it is custom work.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I would guess it was cut down at some point for concealment. It's probably 53 years. And later, someone took a conceal carry from back in the day and dolled it up.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I would guess it was cut down at some point for concealment. It's probably 53 years. And later, someone took a conceal carry from back in the day and dolled it up.

Don't think it's just a cut down barrel, looks like a whole barrel change with a full squared off underlug.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I'm thinking it's a pretty gun for what it would net, so I'm leaning towards hang on to it.

No wonder I can't find anything else like it, if it is custom work.

Definitely a custom job, value might depend on who did the work. Are there any markings that might identify a builder, anything under the grips etc.?

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Definately Custom, Definately a barrel swap, Possibly Nickeled at the time, if so it was a good job, look for the N on the grip frame to see if it was originally Nickle. If it isnt there, then it wasn't.

The trigger and hammer appear to have been polished or plated too, would have been color case hardened origianally, no matter what the rest of the finish was, blue or nickel.

Never seen a barrel like that, looks like more of a BBQ gun conversion vs a PPC conversion.

Collectible? To a guy that collects customs, yes. To any other S&W collector, not so much.

Slick looking piece either way. I'd keep it if it was mine.

HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    Any idea on where I should price this in the unusual condition? I don’t really have anything to compare it to.

Any tips appreciated. Thanks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2020
    LaPorte
    Definitely some after market work on the barrel, if not a replacement barrel. Initially, I would have said the barrel was from a Dan Wesson, but looking at the muzzle, it is not.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I reached out to someone in another forum that's well versed in customs and he says it looks like a Chuck Ward job. I can't find much out about him but that he advertised through the 1980's in American Handgunner and was from the Kansas City area. The picture below was the giveaway gun from an AH issue in 1981.

3wj93Il.png

On this one it looks like the bottom lug might be a separate piece judging by the allen screw, is the OP's a one piece or two?

Here's the whole article from the March/April 1981 American Handgunner, pages 40-41: https://americanhandgunner.com/1981issues/HMA81.pdf

Last edited:

HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    I reached out to someone in another forum that's well versed in customs and he says it looks like a Chuck Ward job. I can't find much out about him but that he advertised through the 1980's in American Handgunner and was from the Kansas City area. The picture below was the giveaway gun from an AH issue in 1981.

3wj93Il.png

On this one it looks like the bottom lug might be a separate piece judging by the allen screw, is the OP's a one piece or two?

Here's the whole article from the March/April 1981 American Handgunner, pages 40-41: https://americanhandgunner.com/1981issues/HMA81.pdf
    Amazing work on this. Looks correct.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom