Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Smith Wheel Gun Question 25-2 Nickel

User Info Menu

Smith Wheel Gun Question 25-2 Nickel

41C127FE-5EBB-4F3A-B7DF-C3DD9181A10F.jpg
    Usually when I do research on my guns, I can find something comparable. This is 25-2 that is unlike any other I can find on the GB or google right now and I even pulled out my Smith & Wesson Standard Catalog today to try to figure out if this was an aftermarket modified version or is this a special target compensator that was added either by their custom shop or later.

Iím debating selling the darn thing and am trying to understand it a little better before I run with my decision. It looks good, but Iíll never use it, so thoughts on collectibility?

Thanks!

D4E1A8EB-52F8-434A-A04D-082990DBDE7B.jpg75C78C65-3F33-4CA6-A95F-CD7E84F2EC75.jpeg

User Info Menu

I vote aftermarket custom.
    Cool piece.

User Info Menu

Got to be an aftermarket conversion, work looks nice as well. That said, I've got an old Colt New Service like that that was customized sometime in the 30s and it didn't sell for anything more than a regular gun of the same vintage. Collectors typically pay more for "stock" versions, but somebody may pick up that piece because of the cool factor.
    Last edited by Leadeye; 08-01-2020 at 18:43.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Marksman

User Info Menu

Another vote for custom, work looks good.Not sure if it would hurt the price or help it.
    Maybe it was a short barrel bullseye gun.

User Info Menu

Those guns loaded with a soft lead RCBS 300 grain bullet are great. No cannon blast, but hits like a civil war Minie.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird1980 View Post
    Another vote for custom, work looks good.Not sure if it would hurt the price or help it.
    Maybe it was a short barrel bullseye gun.
    I'm thinking it's a pretty gun for what it would net, so I'm leaning towards hang on to it.

No wonder I can't find anything else like it, if it is custom work.

User Info Menu

I would guess it was cut down at some point for concealment. It's probably 53 years. And later, someone took a conceal carry from back in the day and dolled it up.

User Info Menu

Iíd guess someone had a custom target barrel and re-used it in that frame. Total WAG...
    Don't blame me....it is Turbo's fault.

In my opinion, the M-1 Rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised. - Lieutenant General George S. Patton, Jr.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sigblitz View Post
    I would guess it was cut down at some point for concealment. It's probably 53 years. And later, someone took a conceal carry from back in the day and dolled it up.
    Don't think it's just a cut down barrel, looks like a whole barrel change with a full squared off underlug.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird1980 View Post
    Don't think it's just a cut down barrel, looks like a whole barrel change with a full squared off underlug.
    Probably right. Those had the long underlug, not the tab. It would have been a chore to cut off.

Last edited by Sigblitz; 08-02-2020 at 19:11. Reason: Spelling

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast