Help me choose first hand gun (just for plinking/range fun, 22)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    Hi, as per title. Not planning on carrying, I've got a firearm for HD already so this will just be for fun.

Stuff I'm considering:
    1) Ruger mk ii
    2) buckmark
    3) an old high standard (really like these but worried about knowing a good one from bad, the different models are sorta bewildering, etc.)
    4) single six -- I'd like to maybe try CAS some day so this might be baby steps towards that

Gotta be 22lr.

Which would you choose and why? Totally subjective I know but I'm having a hard time narrowing. I'm sorta leaning towards a high standard but having to use sv ammo only is a bit if a downer and since they ain't cheap and they're old I'm a bit nervous there.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I have a Ruger Wrangler, a Hi-Standard Sentinel revolver and a Taurus TX22. Of those, I like the TX22 the best, but I tend to like service/defense style pistols more than the target type. It's got all of the controls of my defensive pistols, so it's a good training pistol that doesn't break the bank at the range.

I have actually considered picking up a dedicated target style pistol recently, just for range fun. Something like the Buckmark or Ruger that you mentioned. I think I'd gravitate towards a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite, due to a grip angle that I prefer over the raked grip angle of the standard model. Also, I hear that the Mark IV is extremely easy to field strip for cleaning, unlike its predecessors.

As far as a single action, my Ruger Wrangler is fun and was less than $200. You might start there to see if single action revolvers are to your liking. A bit stiffer in controls and I'm sure not as smooth as a Single Six, but a reasonable facsimile to give you an idea.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    After having experience with several .22LR pistols, my choice would be Ruger Mark IV simply for the ease of takedown for cleaning.

I also am fond of the S&W M&P .22C. Same manual of arms as most 9/40/45 pistols. Plus it makes a nice suppressor host.

Megasaki

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 1, 2020
    Bloomington
    Of what you have listed. I would pick the Ruger MKII. Its super reliable and seems to operate fine with junk ammo all the way up to CCI velocitors and stingers.
    The drawback is you have to learn the unique way of re-assembly. Watch some youtube videos on it and you'll be an expert in no time.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I have a conversion barrel for my sig P226 and a P938 in 22. I really like the idea of being able to shoot 22lr on the cheap as well as more range time with my self defense pistols without recoil.. The P938 in 22 ia actually very reliable and fun to shoot.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've tried them all & then some just for fun.
    The SW Victory is around $300+/- & is an easy one to field strip (had 4 of them).
    Same with the Ruger Mark 4 series, & I've bought them for $300-$400 (had a few & still have 1).
    Brownings have been good to me, as well and can be had for $300+ (had 3 & still own 1).
    Beretta Neos are can be had for $200ish (had 2 or 3 of them).
    The older SW 22A-1 can be bought for $200ish & are great shooters. (had 4 of them & still have 1).
    I have the Glock 44 but the Taurus TX shoots better & has a better trigger for me.

You got to have a revolver, also.
    I've had nearly all of them, even some older ones like the H&R & Rossi that were $200-$300 & shot very well.
    The fixed sights on some usually don't serve me well & I prefer ones with adjustable rear sights.

I don't prefer Single-Action, b/c I'm too impatient with ejecting shells 1 round at a time, but have a Ruger I really like & loved my Uberti.
    With revolvers, many are a medium frame & I have to put a Hogue grip on to get my pinky finger on.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I have a Ruger MK IV 22/45 Lite and a SW22 Victory.
    SW is about 40oz and the Ruger is about 25oz.
    Both are reliable. The Ruger is easier to take down but the SW22 is pretty easy with one screw to remove the receiver and one screw will remove the barrel.
    The SW is easier to clean since the barrel separates from the receiver giving you better access to both.
    The SW has very bright green fiber optic sights. The Ruger has blacked out rear and a black front. My personal preference is the SW sights.
    The SW has a 3.5lb trigger out of the box and the Ruger has a 6lb.
    The SW was $125 cheaper than the Ruger.
    I would recommend the SW22 Victory.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I love my Single Six and my bull barrel Mk ll Ruger. I also have a High Standard but it is a revolver (Sentinel) and I assume you were referencing one of High Standards target autos. If I were to buy another .22 pistol, my first choice would be a S&W 41 followed by a High Standard or Colt target pistol. I'd also consider a S&W .22 M&P.

Plinker556

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2020
    Central Indiana
    I say a S&W Victory or a Ruger MKIV
    They are both reliable, easy to clean, and have a TON of aftermarket support should you get the bug to start modifying.

I like my Ruger MK IV a lot and have enjoyed tinkering and modifying it since it's only a range toy.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    larcat;8392888...3) said:
    an old high standard (really like these but worried about knowing a good one from bad, the different models are sorta bewildering, etc.)...

With any of the older semi autos, check for magazine and parts availability before purchasing.

With Rugers this is not a problem as new mags fit the older models. However for my Browning Challenger, used magazines (if you find one) will cost $150+ and the one current aftermarket supplier has a poor reputation for quality. This may or may not be the case for the High Standards.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    I picked up a pair of Heritage Rough Riders as first guns for my twins. $120 each, simple, and safe.

Jeez, twelve replies in and finally a Rough Rider suggestion, kinda surprised it wasn't at the top of the first page as it deserves to be. Will also add it's worth finding one with the xtra .22 mag cylinder if possible.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    IMHO, best bang for your buck (no pun intended) is a Taurus TX22. I have one for training new shooters and use one with an optic mounted for my own training. Very reliable and a great trigger.

PLsizJP.jpg

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'm another Taurus TX22 fan. They are very reliable and shoot Standard velocity to Stingers with no problem. 16+1 and cheap magazines. Best value for the money. Also its American made.:patriot:

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I like the Ruger Mk series. I have five MkIIs, and recently acquired a Volquartsen Black Mamba. The Black Mamba is built on the 22/45 Ruger MkIV frame. For ease of assembly, I would suggest a Ruger MkIV.

While the High Standard was a nice, accurate target gun, there are some things to be aware of. There is no feed ramp, therefore the magazine is what correctly feeds the round into the chamber. There are instructions on how to tune the mags to feed correctly, including a tool you can make. Aftermarket mags were not very reliable, but they are expensive. Secondly, there were some issues with the slide rails cracking. I had one for bullseye shooting years ago and did not realize there was a crack in the frame until there were issues of the gun not firing. I would stick to newer guns unless you want to shoot bullseye or collect High Standards.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I love my Single Six and my bull barrel Mk ll Ruger. I also have a High Standard but it is a revolver (Sentinel) and I assume you were referencing one of High Standards target autos. If I were to buy another .22 pistol, my first choice would be a S&W 41 followed by a High Standard or Colt target pistol. I'd also consider a S&W .22 M&P.

I do love the SW 41, it is has everything I like (except the magazine eject button, which is diminutive (imo).
    I had a Ruger Mark 3 with a Volquartsen barrel & a flat trigger/spring work done that was just as accurate.

I was quite excited to get a new S&W M&P 22 Compact from Rural King a couple of years ago & enjoyed it immensely.
    I bought it since it was created from the ground floor up by SW while the "non-compact" other one was not made by S/W, but I haven't read of any complaints about it anyway, just shy of buying a name brand gun when I find out it was made by Umarex or even Walther, who has .
    I moved on the the Ruger Mark 4 & Browning Buckmarks & a Colt Target & S/W 22A-1 b/c of better accuracy, but the SW MP compact was flawless for me.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    I am Ruger all the way because.

Mags are more readily available.
    Aftermarket parts
    Reliability
    and if I have an issue Ruger is by far the easier Manufacturer to contact. And they will take care of the issue quickly.

I do own the Glock 44 and have had several others through the years. The other brands have a tendency to go away.

As I have gained more and more knowledge about rimfire and firearms in general. I stick with what there are parts and mags readily available for and how easy they are to work on.

I currently have MK I, MK II, MK III, MK IV, SR22 and of course the Charger. I have at least 1 suppressor host of all but the MK I. Can't bring myself to cut one down and have it threaded

Top Bottom