• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Have been wondering which 10mm pistol to get. There are several out in the market that I like but what are the thoughts from my fellow INGO members on 10mm pistols. My main use for the pistol would be range time and home defense.
    I like the Glock 20 and Springfield XDM due to their magazine capacity. But then again the 1911 style pistols are more comely. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the different models?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm not a modern pistol guy, but have friends who are. After doing some listening I bought a Glock 40 with the Trijicon sight. Can't complain.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Glock needs to introduce a model 10 in .40.

What does this mean?

To the OP:
    I’ve had the G20 and G29 for years. Got one of the first G29 and G40 that came out. I own13 different models of 10mm pistols and my hands down fave is the G20 followed by the XDM. I like my 1911s ok but the Glocks just handle full load 10mm without complaint. I have now hunt deer three years with the G40 with an RDS and killed two deer, one at 49 yards. It’s the smoothest shooting 10mm I own.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Having trouble with my 10mm 1911, I read somewhere it's too small a platform for 10mm. I have shot a lot of rounds in the Glock 20 without an issue.
    Although I would recommend the Glock 20 over any other 10mm hands down, it is harder to stay on target with that round. I used to EDC one and had a lot of range time with it.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Eaa/Tanfoglio has some interesting polymer and steel options.

The Glock is a solid option for the all the reasons they are a solid option in other calibers.

Depends on your budget and frame material preference.

Putting a couple customs aside, I really like my SW 1006. It is an excellent old school 10 mm offering - not the easiest to find but they are built like a tank and its hard to find a bad one.

HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    If you don't like Glocks, like myself- The Colt Delta Elite's are OK, but they rattle some and the frame's arent the best stock. If you give it to a boomer gunsmith, they can tighten it down and do a thing or two to make it top notch. I actually took a Caspian frame and DE slide and a fine gentleman from Wilson Combat whip it together to be real nice. You could prob get away with any ole smith to tighten it up though.

Good luck!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    If I were shopping for 10mm today (and boy do I wish I was) I'd start with the Glock G40. And probably end there, too. It's just a heck of a compelling value. Super reliable. Very accurate. Excellent capacity. Affordable. And you can't kill em even with the warm/heavy stuff in 10mm.

If I was a 1911 guy, I'd be looking at at Dan Wesson. I handled a Bruin Bronze and could feel the strength leaving my knees. I put it back while I still could. The fit and finish was just crazy good and it's a beautiful gun. But that extra $1000 over a G40 will go a long way toward ammo, a RDS, and many other things.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    What does this mean?

To the OP:
    I’ve had the G20 and G29 for years. Got one of the first G29 and G40 that came out. I own13 different models of 10mm pistols and my hands down fave is the G20 followed by the XDM. I like my 1911s ok but the Glocks just handle full load 10mm without complaint. I have now hunt deer three years with the G40 with an RDS and killed two deer, one at 49 yards. It’s the smoothest shooting 10mm I own.

Having trouble with my 10mm 1911, I read somewhere it's too small a platform for 10mm. I have shot a lot of rounds in the Glock 20 without an issue.
    Although I would recommend the Glock 20 over any other 10mm hands down, it is harder to stay on target with that round. I used to EDC one and had a lot of range time with it.

As hard as it is to say I agree with the Glock, I have a blue Delta but I never shoot it with worrying about cracking the frame.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    What platform is your other guns? Do you shoot Glocks and/or 1911's in other calibers? Or another brand?

I have become a firm proponent of keeping the platform the same across frame sizes and manual of arms.

I still have an love my 1911, but it is a range gun only at this stage in life.

Everything else is M&P platform. Which is easy to say since I only have two!:)

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    ruger makes a damn fine SR1911 in 10mm.

Comes down to your platform preference.

Sig P220 10mm
    1911 in 10mm
    Glock 10mm

for 10mm I would never go Poly. Just my opinion.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    I've got a G30 which I added a stormlake(now owned by Rem.) 10mm conversion barrel and I love it!

I can shoot 45acp & 10mm with just a quick barrel & mag swap.

It took a few modifications that I was able to make.

I handload for both 45 & 10mm @ any power level I like.

I had a G20 that just did not meet my accuracy needs. I can shoot my G30 w/ 10mm barrel much better.

Traded G20 on a S&W 500 mag. in 4" that I really love & can reload & shoot much more accurately than my Glocks.

You can still do the G30 conversion to 10mm. just have to get a barrel made in Austria by G something or other.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My Glock 20SF shoots great. Still feels like a brick in the hand but it's very controllable when using full 10mm loads like Buffalo Bore, and Underwood. You can get plus 2 mag extensions that give you 17+1 and it isn't much longer. I learned to like my G20SF over time. At first I hated it. I kept going and finally started to enjoy it. Very reliable and pretty accurate for a stock barrel.

You will definitely need to work on the trigger its not good at all. So be prepared to buy a good aftermarket trigger.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    The G30 gen4 conversion barrel should be available from IBG Austria. they had 6" or standard length when I got my stormlake bbl.
    this is link to their rep Q&A page.

https://www.zfi-inc.com/General-information-about-IGB-barrels-FAQ/

You could also just buy a G29....
    but then you just would not have the 45/10mm quick change feature.

again I don't like G20 accuracy & don't know about G40...

choices ....choice such fun in 10mm

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    My Glock 20SF shoots great. Still feels like a brick in the hand but it's very controllable when using full 10mm loads like Buffalo Bore, and Underwood. You can get plus 2 mag extensions that give you 17+1 and it isn't much longer. I learned to like my G20SF over time. At first I hated it. I kept going and finally started to enjoy it. Very reliable and pretty accurate for a stock barrel.

You will definitely need to work on the trigger its not good at all. So be prepared to buy a good aftermarket trigger.

I also have a Glock 20SF. Its definitely not light but boy oh boy it is a blast to shoot! I strictly carry Unddrwood in it. Usually 180 GR bonded or XTP's. I honestly don't mind the trigger.
    The previous owner had but a captured spring steel recoil rod in it. Never had a FTF.

Top Bottom