Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Walther P22 issues

User Info Menu

I seem to have the unicorn of P22's. Eats all the ammo I've fed it. With the can, without. Runs fine.
    Rifleman
    NRA Endowment Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    USPSA NROI

Adaptive Consulting & Training
    Riley Conservation Club

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To Prevail...you must ACT!

User Info Menu

I buy anything .22LR & have some really neat guns I've kept & enjoy.
    I've had 2 of the Walther P22 & did not have any ammo issues.
    I didn't keep either long though, b/c they weren't "fun" to shoot compared to the other brands.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BMWmojo View Post
    Where would I find a better spring? I think the biggest issue is the slide doesn't go all the way forward when cycling. Its barely noticeable, but its enough to cause light strikes. I thought about getting another .22 for my wife but I rather get her a low recoil .380 or 9mm. She just got her carry license and although a .22 will cause enough damage, the Walther's unreliability makes it a poor choice if needed in an emergency. What I find interesting is that I own some other Walther pistols in 9mm and have zero issues with them. It's just this damn .22!!

I know it's not helpful but a little background: Umarex (the air-gun company) bought walther a number of years back and now there are two walthers when it comes to guns they produce. There are some, like the full size 9mms (P99, PPQ?), that are made by the "real" walther engineers and there are some, like the P22, PK380, and CCP that were designed by the interns and manufactured by temps. The design is amateur and execution is worse. The CCP I have, for example, is the only gun I have yet encountered that loads a new round BEFORE cocking so A. CANNOT strike the primer again and B. CAN load a round without a cocked striker.

Get her to take a class or five (with a centerfire gun). The pressure of a timer and "just do it" gets the mind off the recoil and slide weight. I had an older student at a class the other weekend whose son (who was leading the class lol) got her a ruger full size with a very stiff slide. she was ready to sell it when she arrived. I did some work with her on how to rack the slide so she got to the point she could participate in live fire and before she left she grabbed me aside and said "I changed my mind, I'm going to keep this one!" Getting the right gun also matters, something my wife and I have been going in circles about for a long while (petite is an understatement so anything that fits her hands recoils like a jackhammer and anything she can shoot is HUGE on her belt)

User Info Menu

I love my P22 and haven't had many issues with it at all. My dad on the other hand has one and every 4 rounds it won't fire. Tried lots of different ammo in it. It is several years old though. Anyone know how long the warranty is on it?

User Info Menu

I loved my Walter P22s grips and the way it felt but I got tired of all the issues. Basically, I found really fast, hot rounds worked the best. You could try oiling the moving parts and see if that helps.
    "Common sense is not so common."- Voltaire

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BMWmojo View Post
    Where would I find a better spring?...
    Here https://gallowayprecision.com/stainl...or-walther-p22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by obijohn View Post
    I seem to have the unicorn of P22's. Eats all the ammo I've fed it. With the can, without. Runs fine.
    We must have twins :>).. Mine does the same, but I don't have a can for it.
    We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training. -Archilochus

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by glock27 View Post
    I love my P22 and haven't had many issues with it at all. My dad on the other hand has one and every 4 rounds it won't fire. Tried lots of different ammo in it. It is several years old though. Anyone know how long the warranty is on it?
    Not sure about the warranty, but if I had to guess it sounds like the firing pin spring has worn out (sort of a known issue). Just call walther with the serial number and tell them your firing pin spring needs replaced. Hopefully they will just send you another one for free (or a very small payment).
    We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training. -Archilochus

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    Not sure about the warranty, but if I had to guess it sounds like the firing pin spring has worn out (sort of a known issue). Just call walther with the serial number and tell them your firing pin spring needs replaced. Hopefully they will just send you another one for free (or a very small payment).

I didn't even think of that. I thought maybe the firing pin was shorter than it should have been. I was going to take it apart and compare it to mine. I checked the travel of it and didn't see or feel anything that would have restricted it's travel.
    I will contact them to see if I can get a different one.
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

Not to thread jack Id love to see a P22 style frame in 9mm. I loved the DA/SA of my P22.
    "Common sense is not so common."- Voltaire

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2