• ...and so much more!
  • BMWmojo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 29, 2020
    Zionsville
    Hello,

Does anyone here have a Walther P22 and have issues with ammo? I have used it all in this thing and I always get light strikes, and stove pipes. More the light strikes than anything. I clean the gun every time I shoot it. I even tried to shave off a little on the hammer strike per a Walther forum. It does seem to work best with CCI Mini Mag but even with that it always has issues. This is actually my wife's gun and she loves t when it shoots but is starting to get really frustrated causing her to not want to shoot as much. Im working on getting up to a .380 and then a 9mm but for now she just wants to shoot .22.Anyone else have this issue or any possible fixes? Thank you!

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    My wife's P22 stovepipes because her thumb touches the slide every once in awhile. For the light strikes have you contacted Walther? I believe they have a good warranty program

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Try running mini mags through it along with 40 grain high velocity ammo. We have an early production model.
    And check to make sure you have the right spring in it.

BMWmojo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 29, 2020
    Zionsville
    Where would I find a better spring? I think the biggest issue is the slide doesn't go all the way forward when cycling. Its barely noticeable, but its enough to cause light strikes. I thought about getting another .22 for my wife but I rather get her a low recoil .380 or 9mm. She just got her carry license and although a .22 will cause enough damage, the Walther's unreliability makes it a poor choice if needed in an emergency. What I find interesting is that I own some other Walther pistols in 9mm and have zero issues with them. It's just this damn .22!! :dunno:

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    my p22 is ammo picky. it likes cci mini mag and thunder bolt. your firing pin spring might be getting weak. mine was. make sure u clean the firing pin and channel they get dirty. walther sent me new springs, that was several years ago not real hard to install, there should be some utube vids.

i would not trust a 22 in an emergency. look else ware. i do keep mine loaded with cci mini mag in a holster in my quick access safe but all the hand guns are in a different safe from all the long guns.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    When I bought one of my sons his, it came with an extra recoil spring. I would assume the other color spring could be ordered from Walther parts.

Full retraction. I just went and looked and it was his Sig 22. Mosquito I bought him that came with two recoil springs.
    Sorry OP...

Did yours come with the captured recoil spring?

Last edited:

BMWmojo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 29, 2020
    Zionsville
    I think the only way to make the P22 a personal protection firearm is to teach my wife how to throw it at someone... For now it's just a fun plinker. My next step is to bump her to A .380 for carry/personal protection.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    Where would I find a better spring? I think the biggest issue is the slide doesn't go all the way forward when cycling. Its barely noticeable, but its enough to cause light strikes. I thought about getting another .22 for my wife but I rather get her a low recoil .380 or 9mm. She just got her carry license and although a .22 will cause enough damage, the Walther's unreliability makes it a poor choice if needed in an emergency. What I find interesting is that I own some other Walther pistols in 9mm and have zero issues with them. It's just this damn .22!! :dunno:
    You might try cleaning the chamber with an oversized brush after letting it soak overnight with lead removing solvent. I use Bore Tech Inc Rimfire Blend soaked Q-tip in the chamber followed with an oversized brush after soaking. 22s build-up carbon, powder residue, and bullet lube in the chamber that casual cleaning doesn't always remove.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I buy anything .22LR & have some really neat guns I've kept & enjoy.
    I've had 2 of the Walther P22 & did not have any ammo issues.
    I didn't keep either long though, b/c they weren't "fun" to shoot compared to the other brands.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus

I know it's not helpful but a little background: Umarex (the air-gun company) bought walther a number of years back and now there are two walthers when it comes to guns they produce. There are some, like the full size 9mms (P99, PPQ?), that are made by the "real" walther engineers and there are some, like the P22, PK380, and CCP that were designed by the interns and manufactured by temps. The design is amateur and execution is worse. The CCP I have, for example, is the only gun I have yet encountered that loads a new round BEFORE cocking so A. CANNOT strike the primer again and B. CAN load a round without a cocked striker.

Get her to take a class or five (with a centerfire gun). The pressure of a timer and "just do it" gets the mind off the recoil and slide weight. I had an older student at a class the other weekend whose son (who was leading the class lol) got her a ruger full size with a very stiff slide. she was ready to sell it when she arrived. I did some work with her on how to rack the slide so she got to the point she could participate in live fire and before she left she grabbed me aside and said "I changed my mind, I'm going to keep this one!" Getting the right gun also matters, something my wife and I have been going in circles about for a long while (petite is an understatement so anything that fits her hands recoils like a jackhammer and anything she can shoot is HUGE on her belt)

glock27

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I love my P22 and haven't had many issues with it at all. My dad on the other hand has one and every 4 rounds it won't fire. Tried lots of different ammo in it. It is several years old though. Anyone know how long the warranty is on it?

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I loved my Walter P22s grips and the way it felt but I got tired of all the issues. Basically, I found really fast, “hot” rounds worked the best. You could try oiling the moving parts and see if that helps.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    I love my P22 and haven't had many issues with it at all. My dad on the other hand has one and every 4 rounds it won't fire. Tried lots of different ammo in it. It is several years old though. Anyone know how long the warranty is on it?

Not sure about the warranty, but if I had to guess it sounds like the firing pin spring has worn out (sort of a known issue). Just call walther with the serial number and tell them your firing pin spring needs replaced. Hopefully they will just send you another one for free (or a very small payment).

glock27

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Not sure about the warranty, but if I had to guess it sounds like the firing pin spring has worn out (sort of a known issue). Just call walther with the serial number and tell them your firing pin spring needs replaced. Hopefully they will just send you another one for free (or a very small payment).

I didn't even think of that. I thought maybe the firing pin was shorter than it should have been. I was going to take it apart and compare it to mine. I checked the travel of it and didn't see or feel anything that would have restricted it's travel.
    I will contact them to see if I can get a different one.
    Thanks!

Top Bottom