• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Anyone who has followed my posts over the years... esp the last few years, knows that I am a Marvel style gun cool-aide drinker. In other words, I think that the way that Bob and his gun smith tree approaches guns is inline with the way I want my guns built! Sure there many other guys in the industry who build guns just fine... and I own several by other smiths! Ultimately though, my love for Marvels work stems from my love of Joe Chambers work.

With that said, Ive been lucky enough to now own three original guns built by Bob (or at least bare his name). I am not sure anyone can really know if Bob built their gun, but thats a topic for another thread. The one thing I can be fairly certain on is this "may" very well be the last 45acp Bob Marvel ever built. It dates to late 2012 when Bob was working through NH. By this point in time, Joe had left Marvels shop, and Bob was much more focused on the deal with them than actually building guns (or at least thats what my data tells me). In all honesty, the original owner almost did not get the gun... However, with the help of some forum members and other folks from TOS he got some sound advise and the pistol was delivered. Was it Bobs last? Very very possible. The cool thing is, I have a gun from Bob that was built in 1997 which really pushed the limits of what custom work meant back then! The 9mm I have was from the middle of 2011... That gun is something:). It's very well my favorite gun, and a gun Ive been offered upwards of 10K for.

With that said, I am not going to get into the details of this gun that the previous owner and myself talked about... but its got an interesting story! Ill keep the details for myself. The grips that this gun was shipped with are just not right for the gun... so Ive been trying to figure out what should go on it. Ive been talking with Bunker about grips, Scott Koler, and a few others. At this point, I think I have made the decision to take the red carbon fiber grips off my 9mm and put them on this gun. It just looks good IMO. I also think there are plenty of beautiful wood grips, mammoth, ivory, or other out there that just look better on a blued gun. So, Ill find grips for the 9mm and use the carbon fiber grips that one had:)

Onto the gun! The gun is typical of Bobs work... its unmistakeable actually.

As mentioned, this gun was built in late 2012 (11/2012). Its my belief its the last 45 he actually built. Ive not seen a gun from him with a later build date! Details and specs are as follows:

• "Marvel Custom Classic"
    • Buried rear adjustable sight
    • Marvel Disco cut
    • Cryo treat the entire gun
    • Stipple and pattern cut top of slide, MSH/magwell, front strap
    • Machine and blend Marvel NH Magwell
    • Stipple mag release
    • Stipple slide stop
    • Undercut trigger guard
    • Fully machine and blend thumb safety
    • Custom Marvel strut
    • Full Marvel recoil system w/Marvel flat wire spring set up
    • Medium trigger set to 3lb 9oz
    • 40LPI checked sight screw
    • 2 tuned mags
    • Custom Fiber Optic Front Sight
    • Ransom Rest test target 10 shot group (1.235" at 50 yards)
    As with a lot of Bob's work, he started this project out with a Caspian 9mm frame and 45acp slide and then re-machined the ramp on the frame to a 45acp.

The barrel fit on this gun is spectacular. The lock up and smoothness in which it operates is the stuff of legends! The gun really does shoot like a dream! Today at the range I got about 200 rounds through her with not a single issue. I was shooting low to mid 90's on B8 targets at 25 yards. For not being familiar with the gun, sights, or adjustments I was very pleased.

I can talk about this gun all day and might post a follow up on this post, but as you all can see... she is a show stopper! 100% Pure class:). Enjoy the pics!

Quick Video I sent my buddy once I got it....
    https://flic.kr/p/2jD9TjZ

Cleaned her up... slide all "polished" up!

50303670117_856ccf2465_h.jpg

First attempt at grips... Bunker Arms grips (wrong bevel)

50302831203_7106b2807d_h.jpg

50303670067_3562534ed9_h.jpg

Swapping out the grips...

50303519186_e14dd8d07f_h.jpg

50303519126_66809ea1d1_h.jpg

50302831108_050ec27e23_h.jpg

50302831113_14c7a7df83_h.jpg

Range trip with a Bunker gun...
    50302834613_ef66695ea4_h.jpg

50303522506_1441daf26f_h.jpg

50303522526_5e66a384ad_h.jpg

Last edited: