• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Hey everyone,

I’m not looking to buy a .45 GAP or anything, I’m just looking for more information on it for my own enrichment. I like the idea of it and was hoping to learn more about it. Frankly, I’m not a Glock person so if I was ever to own one it’d probably be in this round for its uniqueness.

Edit: For anyone that shoots .45 GAP, whats your take on the round?

Last edited:

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Might want to check ammo prices before buying gun
    I’m not looking to buy one but I’ll keep that in mind if I ever do. I’m just look for more information from the gun owning community for educational purposes.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The whole idea was the 45 ACP in a Double stack G**** made a brick of a gun due to the cartridge length. G****'s answer was to shorten the case yet get the same velocity out of standard weight bullets. Thus the grip would be the same size a say a G17/19. 45 "power" in 9mm frame.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    The whole idea was the 45 ACP in a Double stack G**** made a brick of a gun due to the cartridge length. G****'s answer was to shorten the case yet get the same velocity out of standard weight bullets. Thus the grip would be the same size a say a G17/19. 45 "power" in 9mm frame.

That makes sense. I’ve read a little where After the development of the .45 GAP some gun manufacturers, including Glock, adapted some of their frames in .45 ACP to be more ergonomic Lessening the .45 GAPs appeal. I’ve never shot a .45 ACP in a double stack before so I’m not familiar with the wide frames that some felt were problematic in the first place.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Personally, I find single-stack handguns to be too small for my hands. Even a 1911 is just large enough where I can get some support hand meat on the grip, though I suspect that's due to the right grips & mainspring housing.

A double stack .45 feels just fine to me. But I'm also of the school-of-thought that firearms should be made of wood and steel, not plastic.

I understand the idea of stuffing the biggest engine into the smallest car. I can't wrap my head around big bullets in a small/light handgun. :dunno:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Personally, I find single-stack handguns to be too small for my hands. Even a 1911 is just large enough where I can get some support hand meat on the grip, though I suspect that's due to the right grips & mainspring housing.

A double stack .45 feels just fine to me. But I'm also of the school-of-thought that firearms should be made of wood and steel, not plastic.

I understand the idea of stuffing the biggest engine into the smallest car. I can't wrap my head around big bullets in a small/light handgun. :dunno:

I think it's the same concept. Make it harder to hold onto and control, increases the excitement of the experiment. Try a 45-70 Derringer out, it's a good time.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I have a couple, used to shoot them a lot and really like them but my endorsement is always the kiss of death. Also have a 6.8 SPC AR that I'm very fond of. Idea behind the GAP was very sound but Glock didn't do much to promote it. 9MM size grip and 45 ACP power. They work well and are very accurate but just never caught on. A G37 is still my nightstand weapon but I don't shoot them much anymore since 9mm is cheaper (:laugh:When you can find it)

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I have a couple, used to shoot them a lot and really like them but my endorsement is always the kiss of death. Also have a 6.8 SPC AR that I'm very fond of. Idea behind the GAP was very sound but Glock didn't do much to promote it. 9MM size grip and 45 ACP power. They work well and are very accurate but just never caught on. A G37 is still my nightstand weapon but I don't shoot them much anymore since 9mm is cheaper (:laugh:When you can find it)

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]
    That’s really been my take on it too. I think it could’ve taken off better had it had some marketing behind it. I was also in the third grade when it came out so who knows. It’ll be interesting to see how long Glock keeps them on the line.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Local Shop has .45 GAP ammo on the shelf. Not sure I can say the same for .45 acp. So maybe the .357 sig, ..40 S&W, .45 GAP guys were right all along.

40 has a much wider adoption than the GAP ever had from what I understand, and you would by swapping a barrel on a 40 S&W gun have a 357 sig capable gun, so I'd place that a bit higher on the practical chart than GAP, IMO.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Hey everyone,

I’m not looking to buy a .45 GAP or anything, I’m just looking for more information on it for my own enrichment. I like the idea of it and was hoping to learn more about it. Frankly, I’m not a Glock person so if I was ever to own one it’d probably be in this round for its uniqueness.

Edit: For anyone that shoots .45 GAP, whats your take on the round?

Go to the Fountainhead of Gun Nut Knowledge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpL8WwZpIFg

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Can a standard .45 ACP 1911 have a barrel made that would allow you to use .45 GAP in it?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    So basically the 45 gap had the power of a 40 S&W using 180gr bullet. So most people went for the 10mm short instead of the 45 short. That's what I gathered from reading this thread and watching several videos and reading other articles on this cartridge. If I'm wrong please let me know and why I'm wrong in my assumption.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    So the GAP 230 gr Gold Dot was going 930 fps. A standard 230 load for 45 ACP is 890. So the GAP is running like a +P ACP.

Top Bottom