• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have had a Glock 43 for some time. Bought it before the 43x came out. I haven’t carried it, and only shot it once.

The 43 only carries 6 rounds. 43x carries 10. What are the other major differences? Is it worth keeping the 43, or should I consider ditching it for a 43x?

I have also just discovered the mag extensions by Taran Tactical. What’s the opinion on those?

MountieHoo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2020
    Indianapolis
    43x now carries 15 rounds flush thanks to the s15 mags by shield arms and they are good to go.
    Shield is working on an increased capacity flush mag for the g43.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I have the Taran tactical +2 extensions on my 43 magazines. I think it's still very concealable and just slightly shorter than the 43X grip.

The 43X is slightly wider than the 43. As stated above, you can get 15 round magazines from Shield Arms (although they are very popular and it takes some patience to get them). I initially wasn't going to get a 43X just to gain 2 more rounds over my 43 with mag extensions, but gaining seven rounds makes a huge difference.

I go back and forth on selling the 43, but I still carry it all the time. I may get a new magazine for it without an extension so it's more concealable (or pull an extension off one of my mags, which I'd rather not do), but I'll probably wait to see how many rounds the Shield Arms version is going to hold.

i-cjNs2w7-M.jpg

i-sW8xgcf-M.jpg

Last edited:

BT802

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I'd only make the swap if you're wanting those extra rounds or need a little larger grip, those are the only major differences really. The 43X is just a touch bigger overall.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    I have the 43 with TT base pads. One+1 and 3+2 the +2s are for backup. Carry it every day and have no complaints easy to conceal. That said I am looking real hard at a 48 it just points and balances so naturally for me.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    I have small hands and wanted a Single Stack (thinner) ... I handled the 43 & 43X -- the Grip was just too short on the 43 (pinky hangover)

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I have both as well. The G43 mags have Vickers Tactical +2 mag extensions for right now. Gonna probably hang on to it for awhile. Curious to see what Shield might have in the works. If it's a game changer like the G43x mags then they will sell like crazy too.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    The shield arms mags intrigue me. But, I tend to stick with the Glock OEM mags. I have never ran anything else in all my Glocks but the OEM mags. So I’m not 100% sure I’d want to try out any aftermarket mags...

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shield arms mags intrigue me. But, I tend to stick with the Glock OEM mags. I have never ran anything else in all my Glocks but the OEM mags. So I’m not 100% sure I’d want to try out any aftermarket mags...

I'm the same way. They are the first aftermarket magazine I've purchased for any of my Glocks and they run like they should.

There are a lot of people doing a lot of testing on them and I haven't heard much in the way of problems. They had a weak spring issue with the first batch which was fixed and some early silver slide guns had narrower mag wells causing some mags to not drop free. I have a silver slide 48 and the Shield Arms mags drop faster than the stock ones.

fleetdefender94

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2020
    Corydon

That's where I am, too. It seems like magic that they could get that many more rounds in. I mean, why wouldn't Glock have done that to begin with?

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    That's where I am, too. It seems like magic that they could get that many more rounds in. I mean, why wouldn't Glock have done that to begin with?

Because Glock uses plastic magazine bodies that are quite a bit thicker than metal body magazines. Using the thinner metal bodies is how Shield Arms was able make a double stack magazine for the 43X and 48.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Because Glock uses plastic magazine bodies that are quite a bit thicker than metal body magazines. Using the thinner metal bodies is how Shield Arms was able make a double stack magazine for the 43X and 48.

Yep, I do love the durability of Glock magazines, especially for just dropping them from the gun at the range and loading the next, but the plastic body definitely eats some real estate.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I guess it depends what you want to do with it. I carry my 43 daily at work (NPE) and it is perfect for that. Any bigger and it wouldn't work for me. I also shoot it better than my 365XL. Interestingly enough, last weekend I shot most of my handguns through the Rangemaster 200 point warm-up and shot better with the 43 than any of the others. I think it was just a matter of more concentration and patience, but it can be done

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I have had a Glock 43 for some time. Bought it before the 43x came out. I haven’t carried it, and only shot it once.

The 43 only carries 6 rounds. 43x carries 10. What are the other major differences? Is it worth keeping the 43, or should I consider ditching it for a 43x?

I have also just discovered the mag extensions by Taran Tactical. What’s the opinion on those?

I think it really just depends on where you carry, how you carry and what your concealment requirements are. Why don't you carry the 43, and what do you regularly carry?

If you've never carried the 43, I'd say that it doesn't fill a carry role for you, and there would be no reason to keep it. Personally, I see no reason for the Glock 43, since a Sig P365 fits in the same space and capacity is 11 rounds, vs 7 for the 43.

The 43x is a much better option, if it fits your carry/concealment needs. The Shield Arms mags really give you a very capable defensive option in the 43x, although 10+1 in the stock mags ain't bad either.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    I have small hands and wanted a Single Stack (thinner) ... I handled the 43 & 43X -- the Grip was just too short on the 43 (pinky hangover)

Same. I have little baby hands. The grip on the 43 is fine if you really need to conceal it, but it comes at a price of being short (just like the 26/27). I "fixed" that by adding the magazine extensions... then Glock came out with the 43X/48, which is what I was trying to turn the 43 into.

I sold my 19 a few months ago (which I hadn't planned on doing) and replaced it with the 48, which feels much better in my tiny little mitts. With the new metal mags, I didn't lose any capacity either.

MountieHoo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Same. I have little baby hands. The grip on the 43 is fine if you really need to conceal it, but it comes at a price of being short (just like the 26/27). I "fixed" that by adding the magazine extensions... then Glock came out with the 43X/48, which is what I was trying to turn the 43 into.

I sold my 19 a few months ago (which I hadn't planned on doing) and replaced it with the 48, which feels much better in my tiny little mitts. With the new metal mags, I didn't lose any capacity either.

Just to let everyone who has made the switch to the shield metal mags, you do need to switch to a steel mag release button. The polymer button wears down overtime. Shield released an aluminum one that wore down too as did other aluminum ones on the market.
    Steel on steel is the way to go. Shield just released the steel one two weeks ago.
    I’m not sure if any other companies makes a steel one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom