• ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    [video=youtube_share;CAT4HXunfi8]https://youtu.be/CAT4HXunfi8[/video]

I just watched this. It an older video but pretty darn awesome test and firearm Ruger made. If this is old forgive me for reposting it.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Torture Tests are good to watch...me thinks me will probably not deliberately do that to one of my pistols.
    But, knowing what the pistol is capable of, especially under duress of the elements, matters!
    Gaston Glock definitely set the standard way back in 1982 with his new polymer product!

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    The Ruger American seemed to me to be decently reliable and durable.

For me the ergonomics were what ruined it. The squared off beavertail area dug into my thumb area when firing making it unpleasant to shoot. This is not the only gun that I found does this. I have had Kel-Tec's and others do it as well. It might be simpler engineering wise to make the gun that shape, but it's ergonomically a pain....literally.

I also think it was hurt by the proliferation of polymer full sized and compact guns in the last 10 years. It did not offer anything different and could not stand apart from the crowd. Without that, it was always doomed to mediocre status.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    The Ruger American seemed to me to be decently reliable and durable.

For me the ergonomics were what ruined it. The squared off beavertail area dug into my thumb area when firing making it unpleasant to shoot.

Same here. I had a Ruger American in 45 ACP, and that thing banged the hell out of my thumb at the joint. Ruger blew it with this design. It was supposed to be their "service grade" pistol to compete with Glock, S&W, etc. Instead, it's just another odd also-ran.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Decent review, I enjoyed watching it. Sometimes hard to watch that kind of abuse to a firearm.

I often wonder if these are later sold in the classifieds. LNIB Ruger American 9mm only taken to the range once. Has a nice winter green smell to it. Has few minor scratches. Price is firm.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I like this gun but I canÂ’t bring myself to own a striker-fired a gun. IÂ’m just not a fan of them.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    My wife bought a full sized in 9mm for her introduction to centerfire pistols since it fit her hands the best. She shot the hell out of it then got a compact, which she still has. I ended up with the full sized and still shoot the hell out of it as a range gun. Way too big and heavy for a carry piece, but I'll have to say that it has functioned just fine with any ammo we've put in it. I'm not really a fan of striker fired pistols in general but even so accuracy is better than I thought it would be.

Top Bottom