• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    Just picked up a glock 45 MOS. Looking at vortex venom red dot. This will be EDC, once broken in. What size would be best, 3 or 6 MOA. My eyes aren't what they once were.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I like the smaller dot. If I want it larger, I just increase the brightness. I feel like I get the best of two worlds this way.

I'm cross dominant and wear readers so my eyes are pretty screwy. I'm just a few months into a red dot but I'm not having trouble picking up the smaller dot. Once you figure out where it is, it will be there, 3 MOA or 6.

I am still new, but I want to keep my focus on the target, not the dot. I am practicing on looking to where I want the bullet to go and when I see the dot get there, I pull the trigger. That may be the wrong way to do it, so I'm sure someone will be along to set me straight.

By the way I have a Vortex Venom on my .22 and a Holosun on my 9 mm. Both are in that 3 MOA size range.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    If you're really going to dedicate yourself to learning to efficiently shoot an RDS on a pistol, get the 3 moa. Once you get a consistent presentation, you'll have no problem finding the dot. If you're just dabbling, a 6 moa dot is marginally easier to find.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Rule of thumb is

Smaller=More precise
    Bigger=faster

For an EDC taking personal preference out of the equation, 6moa would win. A LONG defense shooting would be 20 yards. At 20 yards the 6 MOA could cause you to miss your exact POI by just north of 1/2 inch. In a defense scenerio, most folks would prefer to hit on one side or the other of the forehead faster, than get the exact center of the forehead slower.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Even the experts don't agree on this. Dot size also varies by quality of dot, brightness, and whether you have astigmatism. I prefer smaller rather than larger but YMMV. I sure wouldnt use a Vortex for EDC.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I prefer smaller dots as they seem to be more versatile and able to be used on different/multiple platforms.

A 3 moa is just about perfect for me.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Even the experts don't agree on this. Dot size also varies by quality of dot, brightness, and whether you have astigmatism. I prefer smaller rather than larger but YMMV. I sure wouldnt use a Vortex for EDC.

A lot of truth in this. I will tend to follow people's advice on dot size based on the overall knowledge, education and personality of the person giving the advice. I like John Lovell and I personally think he's pretty squared away. He recommends a smaller dot. I also like this guy that I don't know on INGO personally, but I think he is an instructor of sorts and seems to be on the leading edge of red dot implementation. Recently he has been beta testing the Holosun 507K. He also recommends a smaller dot. :whistle:

As to Vortex, it is fine on my Ruger MKII. It is an upgrade from my $25 BSA that I had on it, that's for sure. I also have a Vortex optic on my .22 rifle. But when it comes to my defense firearms, I use other products. They may be great and a lot of folks use their products, but they didn't have the features in optics that I wanted for my defense applications.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    A lot of truth in this. I will tend to follow people's advice on dot size based on the overall knowledge, education and personality of the person giving the advice. I like John Lovell and I personally think he's pretty squared away. He recommends a smaller dot. I also like this guy that I don't know on INGO personally, but I think he is an instructor of sorts and seems to be on the leading edge of red dot implementation. Recently he has been beta testing the Holosun 507K. He also recommends a smaller dot. :whistle:

As to Vortex, it is fine on my Ruger MKII. It is an upgrade from my $25 BSA that I had on it, that's for sure. I also have a Vortex optic on my .22 rifle. But when it comes to my defense firearms, I use other products. They may be great and a lot of folks use their products, but they didn't have the features in optics that I wanted for my defense applications.

I agree with this. I would not use the Vortex on an EDC due to the auto shutoff. Last thing I want to do in a gun fight is to call timeout so I can turn my dot on.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    3 MOA is my preference. if you want bigger you can turn the intensity up and starburst it a little. If your presentation is consistent you shouldn't have any problem finding the 3MOA dot, if it's not you won't see the dot no matter how big it is. Just MHO.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I like the larger dot myself. My eyes are not what the used to be, so the bigger dot just works better for me. I don't use my EDC as a bullseye gun so there's no advantage in the smaller dot for my needs.

Question to the folks that crank up the brightness to improve dot visibility: is that a sticky setting or something you would need to do on a draw stroke?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I like the larger dot myself. My eyes are not what the used to be, so the bigger dot just works better for me. I don't use my EDC as a bullseye gun so there's no advantage in the smaller dot for my needs.

Question to the folks that crank up the brightness to improve dot visibility: is that a sticky setting or something you would need to do on a draw stroke?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Tim, I keep the dot size the same all the time.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I would think that cranking up the brightness to give the appearance of a larger dot could cause problems with seeing the dimmer target in low light SD conditions.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but how are these red dots for people with astigmatism?

Top Bottom