• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I have an interest in stepping into the 10mm world. I prefer to stay with the 1911 platform since the added weight will help with recoil. I am looking for a manufacture that will stand behind the pistol if issues come up from this high pressure round. Also, I would like to stay under $1k. I don't want to deal with moon clips so revolvers are out.

Here is some information that I have gathered so far.

Springfield - Based on information on INGO, they will not stand behind issues resulting from factory ammo. This is concerning.
    Rock Island - Will stand behind the firearm when factory ammo is used. I'm not sure about RIA though.
    Ruger - Seems to have good reviews. My experience with Ruger has been wonderful.
    Kimber - Great but probably over $1k.

Looking for thoughts and experience. Thanks!!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have an interest in stepping into the 10mm world. I prefer to stay with the 1911 platform since the added weight will help with recoil. I am looking for a manufacture that will stand behind the pistol if issues come up from this high pressure round. Also, I would like to stay under $1k. I don't want to deal with moon clips so revolvers are out.

Here is some information that I have gathered so far.

Springfield - Based on information on INGO, they will not stand behind issues resulting from factory ammo. This is concerning.
    Rock Island - Will stand behind the firearm when factory ammo is used. I'm not sure about RIA though.
    Ruger - Seems to have good reviews. My experience with Ruger has been wonderful.
    Kimber - Great but probably over $1k.

Looking for thoughts and experience. Thanks!!

Your list is correct. I am never owning another Kimber from personal experiences and working on them. Just way too much money for what you get.

The Ruger has great revues and the company has good CS as well.
    I have 4 based off the 1911. 1 is a seriously modded Springer TRP and 3 customs. Love the round. No factory pieces so I am basing my opinion off of what I have heard.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I had a Kimber and it was very picky on ammo.
    I have a Colt Delta Elite and I have not had nearly the feeding issues in it. I have fired the Sig and Underwood ammo through it and it has held up fine.
    Speaking of Sig. Their P220 is heavy if you want heavy :-) but it is over your $1000 limit. It runs great.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Your list is correct. I am never owning another Kimber from personal experiences and working on them. Just way too much money for what you get.

The Ruger has great revues and the company has good CS as well.
    I have 4 based off the 1911. 1 is a seriously modded Springer TRP and 3 customs. Love the round. No factory pieces so I am basing my opinion off of what I have heard.

Thanks! I will be adding a TRP .45 at some point soon. I don't know why, I just really want one.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I had a Kimber and it was very picky on ammo.
    I have a Colt Delta Elite and I have not had nearly the feeding issues in it. I have fired the Sig and Underwood ammo through it and it has held up fine.
    Speaking of Sig. Their P220 is heavy if you want heavy :-) but it is over your $1000 limit. It runs great.

I forgot Sig 1911 on that list. I have not researched Sig's 1911 10mm, guess I need to do that. I have a couple of Sigs and like them. I know there 1911's are good.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I have one of the Ruger SR1911s was in 10mm. It’s a shooter that handles the 10mm without any issues. I had AllenM do a couple minor mods to it. I would recommend it for someone wanting to get into 10mm and don’t want to empty their 401k.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I have one of the Ruger SR1911s was in 10mm. It’s a shooter that handles the 10mm without any issues. I had AllenM do a couple minor mods to it. I would recommend it for someone wanting to get into 10mm and don’t want to empty their 401k.

Awesome. Thanks for the info!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Let's bump the $1k and buy once,cry once. CM, Do you have a Dan Wesson 1911 in 10mm?

No sir I do not. I have a DW A-2 that is my daily carry (EDC) but not much of Dans work is still in there.

I no longer own any Box stock as built 1911's.

She is a serious shooter outside her good looks....:naughty:

SuDC1fd.jpg

mike4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Being customized to someone else's tastes, only a minority of custom 1911s appeal to me all that much. In 1911s I tend toward an all parked, basic "MEUSOC-ish" feature set. But that is one -fine- looking Dan Wesson.

After the first gen of Colt 10mm I've always thought 10mm was working the 1911 design a little too hard, so I've considered a 45ACP loaded with Federal HST the upper end of what I want to deliver via 1911. I finally picked up a Glock Gen 4 10mm which seems better suited to take the abuse for a lot less money... just in time for all the ammo to disappear last spring before I even had a chance to replace the crappy Glock plastic factory sights. And the next trip out West where I would have been packing it on the trail got called off too.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    OP - build one.

You'll feel more connected to it and you can make it just that way you want it. Also, you can purchase parts over a period of time so that it is easier to finance (if that is a concern).

I'm tellin' ya, man. It is the way to go :shoot:

Buzz Saw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    Southeast IN
    Let's bump the $1k and buy once,cry once. CM, Do you have a Dan Wesson 1911 in 10mm?

I'm obviously not CM but I do have a Dan Wesson in 10mm, the Razorback. It is one of the nicest 1911's I own, and that is several. The trigger, especially the reset is incredible. I have two Les Baer's in .45 ACP and I would put Dan's against either one for overall fit and finish and general workmanship.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Wyldeshot, Have you considered .460 Rowland? If 10mm gives 728 fpe, .460 Rowland will give you 957 fpe. And you can still back it down to 355 fpe by shooting .45 acp out of it. I think of it as magnum power on a shock absorber.

Buzz Saw, Thank you.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Being customized to someone else's tastes, only a minority of custom 1911s appeal to me all that much. In 1911s I tend toward an all parked, basic "MEUSOC-ish" feature set. But that is one -fine- looking Dan Wesson.

After the first gen of Colt 10mm I've always thought 10mm was working the 1911 design a little too hard, so I've considered a 45ACP loaded with Federal HST the upper end of what I want to deliver via 1911. I finally picked up a Glock Gen 4 10mm which seems better suited to take the abuse for a lot less money... just in time for all the ammo to disappear last spring before I even had a chance to replace the crappy Glock plastic factory sights. And the next trip out West where I would have been packing it on the trail got called off too.

That was Colts failure in not building a gun up to the task at hand.
    My TRP has been upgraded to 10mm and it handles everything I feed it. We did tune the recoil to the round.
    It is one of the nightstand HD pieces. Ultra reliable.
    Krd8Dk7.jpg

t0zE5vz.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    CM, What is the purpose of the ball cut on the upper side edges on the slide?

To make you ask why.....:):

It is a line basically to give it definition from the sides to the curve. If you look closely the bottom of the slide is relived as well. Makes the flat side into a panel. The lack of a roll mark is another reason.

I have it done on all my customs.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    OP - build one.

You'll feel more connected to it and you can make it just that way you want it. Also, you can purchase parts over a period of time so that it is easier to finance (if that is a concern).

I'm tellin' ya, man. It is the way to go :shoot:

I have not done much work on 1911's. I have build several AR's and performed some basic work on other firearms. I might have to look into this.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom