• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    My dad has a nice small gun collection, but at 80 years old he is now having trouble with his memory. He doesn't remember when or where he bought most of his guns and has stored all his paperwork in "a safe place" that we have not yet found. He has asked me to go through his collection with him to help identify what he has. His favorite is this Smith & Wesson 357 Magnum. I have a serial number, but can't find any model name or number on it. Can you guys give me any information on it or is there a website where I can use the serial number to get more information? Thanks.
    S&W 357 Mag2.jpg

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    To my untrained eye it looks like a model 686. Open the cylinder and there should information there. You can call Smith at 800-331-0852, give them the serial number and they will tell you when it was made.

tjh88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Vallonia
    Everyone I've seen you swing open the cylinder and the model is stamped on the frame there. Hope it helps. I'm sure someone more qualified than me will come along and correct me if I'm wrong but giving you my small bit of knowledge.

Tim

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    To my untrained eye it looks like a model 686. Open the cylinder and there should information there. You can call Smith at 800-331-0852, give them the serial number and they will tell you when it was made.

You can find that info online with the first three letters of the serial number, at least the year of mfg.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    My dad has a nice small gun collection, but at 80 years old he is now having trouble with his memory. He doesn't remember when or where he bought most of his guns and has stored all his paperwork in "a safe place" that we have not yet found. He has asked me to go through his collection with him to help identify what he has. His favorite is this Smith & Wesson 357 Magnum. I have a serial number, but can't find any model name or number on it. Can you guys give me any information on it or is there a website where I can use the serial number to get more information? Thanks.
    View attachment 91192

That's a nice example of the 686 as others have said. They replaced the wood grip with Hogues in 1994 so if it's original it was made before then. Here's a link that might help you date it:

https://robertsonstradingpost.gunsa...er-Serialization-3-Letter-Prefixes-AAA-VA.htm

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Everyone I've seen you swing open the cylinder and the model is stamped on the frame there. Hope it helps. I'm sure someone more qualified than me will come along and correct me if I'm wrong but giving you my small bit of knowledge.

Tim

^^This!!^^ The dash-number will get real close on the year. A pre -5, no MIM.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    That's a nice example of the 686 as others have said. They replaced the wood grip with Hogues in 1994 so if it's original it was made before then. Here's a link that might help you date it:

https://robertsonstradingpost.gunsa...er-Serialization-3-Letter-Prefixes-AAA-VA.htm

Thanks for the link drillsgt. It looks like it was manufactured in January of 1991. It has just been sitting in his safe and I think he only got it out to shoot once. Probably has less than 25 rounds through it.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    ^^This!!^^ The dash-number will get real close on the year. A pre -5, no MIM.

I'll take a look again the next time I'm over there and see what I can find. The serial number starts with BFW which appears to mean that it was manufactured in Jan 1991 according to the link drillsgt posted above.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I'll take a look again the next time I'm over there and see what I can find. The serial number starts with BFW which appears to mean that it was manufactured in Jan 1991 according to the link drillsgt posted above.
    That's a great gun. Seven more quality posts and you can reply to the PMs asking if you're going to sell it :cool:

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    That's a great gun. Seven more quality posts and you can reply to the PMs asking if you're going to sell it :cool:

I don't think he will ever sell this gun. It has been his favorite since he bought it. He grew up on Westerns and is a big fan of revolvers and lever action rifles.

Top Bottom