Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: S & W 357 Mag Info

  1. #1
    Plinker BankShot's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    S & W 357 Mag Info

    My dad has a nice small gun collection, but at 80 years old he is now having trouble with his memory. He doesn't remember when or where he bought most of his guns and has stored all his paperwork in "a safe place" that we have not yet found. He has asked me to go through his collection with him to help identify what he has. His favorite is this Smith & Wesson 357 Magnum. I have a serial number, but can't find any model name or number on it. Can you guys give me any information on it or is there a website where I can use the serial number to get more information? Thanks.
    S&W 357 Mag2.jpg

  2. #2
    Expert Ricnzak's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    To my untrained eye it looks like a model 686. Open the cylinder and there should information there. You can call Smith at 800-331-0852, give them the serial number and they will tell you when it was made.

  3. #3
    Plinker tjh88's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Everyone I've seen you swing open the cylinder and the model is stamped on the frame there. Hope it helps. I'm sure someone more qualified than me will come along and correct me if I'm wrong but giving you my small bit of knowledge.

    Tim

  4. #4
    JHB
    JHB is offline
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    Model number and dash number is stamped on the frame you will see it when you open the cylinder.

  5. #5
    Grandmaster drillsgt's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricnzak View Post
    To my untrained eye it looks like a model 686. Open the cylinder and there should information there. You can call Smith at 800-331-0852, give them the serial number and they will tell you when it was made.
    You can find that info online with the first three letters of the serial number, at least the year of mfg.

  6. #6
    Grandmaster drillsgt's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by BankShot View Post
    My dad has a nice small gun collection, but at 80 years old he is now having trouble with his memory. He doesn't remember when or where he bought most of his guns and has stored all his paperwork in "a safe place" that we have not yet found. He has asked me to go through his collection with him to help identify what he has. His favorite is this Smith & Wesson 357 Magnum. I have a serial number, but can't find any model name or number on it. Can you guys give me any information on it or is there a website where I can use the serial number to get more information? Thanks.
    S&W 357 Mag2.jpg
    That's a nice example of the 686 as others have said. They replaced the wood grip with Hogues in 1994 so if it's original it was made before then. Here's a link that might help you date it:

    https://robertsonstradingpost.gunsam...xes-AAA-VA.htm

  7. #7
    Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere KellyinAvon's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by tjh88 View Post
    Everyone I've seen you swing open the cylinder and the model is stamped on the frame there. Hope it helps. I'm sure someone more qualified than me will come along and correct me if I'm wrong but giving you my small bit of knowledge.

    Tim
    ^^This!!^^ The dash-number will get real close on the year. A pre -5, no MIM.
    INGOer #25,448

  8. #8
    Plinker BankShot's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by drillsgt View Post
    That's a nice example of the 686 as others have said. They replaced the wood grip with Hogues in 1994 so if it's original it was made before then. Here's a link that might help you date it:

    https://robertsonstradingpost.gunsam...xes-AAA-VA.htm
    Thanks for the link drillsgt. It looks like it was manufactured in January of 1991. It has just been sitting in his safe and I think he only got it out to shoot once. Probably has less than 25 rounds through it.

  9. #9
    Plinker BankShot's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by KellyinAvon View Post
    ^^This!!^^ The dash-number will get real close on the year. A pre -5, no MIM.
    I'll take a look again the next time I'm over there and see what I can find. The serial number starts with BFW which appears to mean that it was manufactured in Jan 1991 according to the link drillsgt posted above.

  10. #10
    Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere KellyinAvon's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by BankShot View Post
    I'll take a look again the next time I'm over there and see what I can find. The serial number starts with BFW which appears to mean that it was manufactured in Jan 1991 according to the link drillsgt posted above.
    That's a great gun. Seven more quality posts and you can reply to the PMs asking if you're going to sell it
    INGOer #25,448

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •