• ...and so much more!
  • climber1218

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Converse
    I'm interested in purchasing a compact 9mm and have not had the chance to try a Springfield Armory Hellcat...does anyone have experience or an opinion on it for EDC? I have had the opportunity to try the Sig 365 and Glock 48 owned by friends...how does the Hellcat compare? (You gotta like the name!)

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    The wife and I went to the local range and rented the hellcat and P365 variants. We both agreed the hellcat felt like it had softer recoil, we both liked the sights better, and we both agreed the original 365's grip is too short. We're both waiting on hellcat orders from Springfield...

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The wife and I went to the local range and rented the hellcat and P365 variants. We both agreed the hellcat felt like it had softer recoil, we both liked the sights better, and we both agreed the original 365's grip is too short. We're both waiting on hellcat orders from Springfield...

In case you were not aware (disregard if you are). You can easily swap a 365 XL grip module (which is not the serial numbered part) onto a 365 Slide/FCU. Sig and other sources sell the XL modules https://osagecountyguns.com/sig-sauer-kit-365xl-grip-mod-blk.html Just pick your place of choice and sign up for in stock notifications if they are currently out.

Also, the 12 round mags make a big difference. The 365 with the 12 round mag = the same size as the XL Grip module (as the 12 round mags with a different base plate fit flush in the XL module).

Last edited:

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full disclosure: I don't have a Hellcat. However, I have two Springfield Armory guns (XDm 10mm & Saint .308 pistol) and my EDC is a P365, so I'll offer a few thoughts:
    - Agreed on the P365... I have average-sized hands and I struggled with it with the 10 round mags, but bought 12 round extended mags and use them exclusively now. I feel like it's a much, much better gun that way, versus with the 10 round mag.
    - Not that I've had a bad experience with Sig, but my experience with Springfield Armory has been excellent. Not only are their guns well-built, but I feel like what you get for the money is among the better values (such as Sig mags being about $10 more a piece). Plus Springfield throws in way more "extras" with a purchase than most manufacturers. Within the last few years, I've purchased guns from 4 different manufacturers and Springfield has wowed me more than any other with what they include.

The 12 round magazines on the P365 (not mention my investment in them) are what has saved me from exploring the Hellcat further. It made me go from hating the gun to loving it. It's been my EDC for a couple of years now and I don't see a need to change. With that said, I don't think you can go wrong with buying a Hellcat and I may end up doing the same someday!

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I've owned a Hellcat, but found my P365 to be a lot more comfortable in the hand and a smoother shooter. I carry my P365 with the XL grip module, I don't really even know where the 10 round module is. It's in a drawer around here somewhere. I'll never carry it with the the original short grip, I hate pinky dangler guns.

Also figured that if I ever have to shoot someone and am involved in a civil suit, I don't want to give the plaintiff's attorney any help by shooting the bad guy with a pistol called a "Hellcat."

JTL165

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 26, 2020
    Central
    I have handled most of the guns in that market and have found the p365 xl frame to be the best fit also. The 365 trigger is also much better than the completions triggers

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    For some reason the Hellcat that I had was hard to rack. Could've been a combination of issues that I've been experiencing with my hands lately and the smaller slide with a stiffer spring.. I ended up selling it and I'm running a G43x now.

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I have handled most of the guns in that market and have found the p365 xl frame to be the best fit also. The 365 trigger is also much better than the completions triggers

I can't speak to most of the competition's triggers, but I ended up changing out my stock P365 trigger with the Sig flat trigger and like it better.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I can't speak to most of the competition's triggers, but I ended up changing out my stock P365 trigger with the Sig flat trigger and like it better.

I changed mine on my primary EDC 365 to a flat Sig 365 OEM trigger as well. Primarily because I liked the Sig flat triggers on my 320 X-Compacts, and I acquired another 320 Compact (not X) that had an Apex flat trigger installed.

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    I have both and each has pros and cons. The Hellcat fills my hand better as it is a bit bigger front to back. I have always found the 365 grip to be a smidge too small circumference-wise.

The 365 has less felt recoil to me. The Hellcat is a bit..."snappier".

I prefer the sights on the 365 than the u-notch on the Hellcat. Having said that, I got the OSP Hellcat so the ability to mount a red dot without milling the slide is a bonus.

There are 15 round magazines for 365. Hellcat is limited to 13 round magazines. Not sure if the extra 2 rounds make a difference to you or not.

My 2 cents.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    In case you were not aware (disregard if you are). You can easily swap a 365 XL grip module (which is not the serial numbered part) onto a 365 Slide/FCU. Sig and other sources sell the XL modules https://osagecountyguns.com/sig-sauer-kit-365xl-grip-mod-blk.html Just pick your place of choice and sign up for in stock notifications if they are currently out.

Also, the 12 round mags make a big difference. The 365 with the 12 round mag = the same size as the XL Grip module (as the 12 round mags with a different base plate fit flush in the XL module).

I know, but there are other things I don't like about the 365 and the XL, the biggest of which is the fact that I can't get the 365 optics ready, and even though the XL can be had optics ready you have to give up the rear iron sight to attach the optic. The Hellcat doesn't have either of those problems.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    A friend of mine bought one and he loves it. It’s now his everyday carry. He let me mess with it and it was nice to rack but the trigger was way to light for my liking. That might be a minority opinion but I’m not a fan of it for that reason.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I know, but there are other things I don't like about the 365 and the XL, the biggest of which is the fact that I can't get the 365 optics ready, and even though the XL can be had optics ready you have to give up the rear iron sight to attach the optic. The Hellcat doesn't have either of those problems.

Got it, wasn't sure if there were other things that had you leaning toward the Hellcat. Sounds like there is and you have evaluated your needs. Not everyone knows about the grip modularity on the 365 & XL, so just wanted to make sure you were.

Interested to hear what you think of the Hellcat once you have a chance to shoot it.

BT802

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Terre Haute
    For some reason the Hellcat that I had was hard to rack. Could've been a combination of issues that I've been experiencing with my hands lately and the smaller slide with a stiffer spring.. I ended up selling it and I'm running a G43x now.

Definitely not just you. I took the wife to our local shop/indoor range to try a handful of 9mm's to find one for her to EDC, the Hellcat slide was by far the stiffest out of the 6 guns we tested, to the point where she didn't even bother trying to shoot it. It was scratched off the list from the get go.

climber1218

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Converse
    I really appreciate everyone's opinion! I guess there are pros and cons to each gun...I will need to shoot them (or at least handle them) side by side and decide myself. It sounds like nobody had any mechanical issues, so that's a good thing! Now, I need to see who might have them in stock!!!

Top Bottom