• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2020
    Greenfield
    I’m new to the site and to carrying in general. I know this question has probably been brought up and answered several times on this site, but what is a good first carry gun? I’m 6’1 and a have a rather skinny frame weighing only 155lbs (runner). What would you guys recommend that I carry? I would also like to know what holster/pistol combo would be good for running.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I would visit a range that has a variety of handguns to rent and kind of get a feeling of each of them and see how they feel to shoot.
    Holsters are another story. Many, many choices. Everyone has their go too company.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Hopefully you have friends that shoot, and you can try out some pistols. You have to find what you love, or can at least be happy with. There is no standard answer to the question you ask. We pick wives, girlfriends, trucks , and yes even guns, and calibers, from what makes us happy. The journey is yours to enjoy.

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    First let me welcome you to the site. It is a great community.

As for your question...it isn't easy to recommend a pistol to someone without knowing a BUNCH more information. For example, what caliber are you interested in? What is your experience level? Have you gotten any training in the past? Where do you plan to carry (3 o'clock, appendix, IWB, OWB, etc). How large or small are your hands? Want hammer or striker fired? Auto or revolver? See what I'm getting at?

The best advice we can give you is to go to a range that rents guns and fondle a bunch then rent the one(s) you like the feel of, rent them, then take for a test drive. When you find the one that trips your trigger (see what i did there?) buy it and go immediately to training. Seriously. Get trained.

I know you are swimming in information right now and I'm not helping to clear the water any, but this is something that is better researched in person rather than on a forum. Find a gun buddy that can lead you through the jungle. Beer is usually a food bargaining chip...as long as it is consumed AFTER the range.

When you kind of figure out what you are looking for, come back to us with specifics and we might be able to help some more.

Last edited:

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    go to a local gun shop and pose the question. then go to a range that rents guns and try out several.

You're probably going to want a 9mm, though ammo for it is very scarce at present. Scarce for all handguns really.

I'd would not recommend going smaller than a compact pistol since you're going to carry. Sub Compact is not that much more concealable, and is a lot harder to shoot well. I prefer the double stacked magazine for increase capacity and better grip.

I prefer the glock platform because it's everywhere and parts/magazines are interchangeable and also everywhere.

Good luck sifting through the (many) other opinions.

Whatever you get, practice a ton. It will take a long time to be any good.

If you're ever in Hendricks county DM me and I can show you a few options.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    What feels good in your hand that you can shoot well. Most shops rental policy will charge you an initial fee and then you can try several guns. Most important IMHO, get some training before loading up and hitting the street.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / Basic pistol instructor/ RSO[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]

“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach

[FONT=&quot]SPB Links[/FONT]

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...I would also like to know what holster/pistol combo would be good for running.

If you are wearing elastic waist jogging pants/shorts that will be a problem in itself since without a substantial belt there will not be enough support for a holster and gun.

You may need to look at bellyband holsters or fanny packs.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Start with THE most carried gun by citizens, instructors, competitors, cops and thugs.

Learn how to run this gun, then go from there, if you think you need. :twocents:

mike4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I think a great baseline for comparison is the Glock 19. After checking out choices in gunshops back when the shelves were not bare, and handling and shooting any number of other options that I have, I've had more first time buyers among my friends settle on a G19. A couple of times that involved a couple and the wife was most comfortable with the Glock, so it worked for both of them (Glock also has some thinner models now that might have been even better). It sits in a pretty good spot among trade-offs for owning just one pistol, and reliability is not a trade-off, plus what 1nderbeard said.

I'm not saying this is the pistol for you. The finger grooves on Gen 3 and Gen 4 hit some people in the wrong place so they file them off (I got lucky, they fit me like I squeezed a lump of clay for Glock and designed the grooves from that). I cannot stand the half circle chuck of the front strap that is missing on the Gen 5, they corrected that with the Gen 5 MOS but don't know if they changed the basic G19 Gen 5 to follow. Maybe it does not fit you at all? My idea is just start with the G19 as likely a good choice, but use it to compare the fit and features of other handguns you consider (or can find in stock!). Maybe you want something more concealable? In that case I would use the SIG P365 as a baseline for comparison.

Everyone is wise to advise you to find out what works for you, and they know from experience if you can find one of the better folks behind a gunshop counter they can provide better advice with the advantage of seeing you handling an item in person. Although I worry if you can find much of anything in stock to compare.

Final concern, some brands out there are just not great or more hit or miss on quality, and with a few companies specific models are dogs compared to others. You might loop back if you have particular brands and models in mind just to get more people's experience where something generally rates along that quality and reliability scale. Probably best to do some further Internet research to come up with candidates, because if you find something in stock and then pause to get feedback it may well get sold out from underneath you.

Tougher times for getting started, but welcome to it; Obi Wan says you're taking your first step into a larger world.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    When I take new shooters out and let them try a variety of guns, almost every one of them comes away liking the CZ P07 the best. I don’t know if that would meet your needs though, as it is a bit large for carry while running. Still, it’s worth a look if you see one in a rental case. The Glock G43 would be worth a look as well.

One thing I will suggest though is after you bring home whatever you decide on, buy a LaserLyte training cartridge. It’s a small laser that fits into the chamber and briefly flashes when you pull the trigger. Now is a tough time to source practice ammo and the laser cartridge will give you the ability to get the feel of the gun without expending ammo.

Ammo is out there, but it’s gotten expensive and availability is spotty. It’s never too late to start down the path of gun ownership though. Things will turn around eventually

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Which is better? The revolver or the pistol. I carry a revolver for a variety of reasons; reliability, it’s what I grew up with, I prefer a heavier trigger pull than the standard striker fired glock/polymer pistol, etc. I’m 6’ 1” and I carry a 2.75” 8-shot .357 Redhawk in an OWB with a heavy belt and Perry suspenders with a shirt over it. I also carry a j frame s&w in my pocket.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    No matter your choice, make sure to get a REAL GUN BELT and a GOOD holster. This makes all the difference in the world for carrying a pistol.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    No matter your choice, make sure to get a REAL GUN BELT and a GOOD holster. This makes all the difference in the world for carrying a pistol.

Quoting BT for truth because this cannot be emphasized enough. Research your carry setup and buy quality. Too many of us have a drawer full of crap holsters that we wasted money on. You don’t have to spend a lot for a good holster sometimes (Glock’s $10 plastic holster works quite well) but beware of cheap leather and pretty much all nylon holsters. I don’t know of any cheap gun belts. Those will cost a bit but are critical to comfortable carry. A dress belt will let the holster flop around and you will feel it all day long

Squander

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    South Bend
    I'm not sure going to to a local gun shop at the moment is best, they have slim supplies and it is not clear what they will try to sell you. Please be well-versed on the laws concerning where you can carry and when it is legal to present a gun (in self-defense with imminent threat), and get into the mindset of situational awareness needed to be able to have the pistol you are carrying be a useful tool if needed, rather than a liability. If you are already there, then you can ask some friends what they carry and why they made their choices. Usually it boils down to whatever they are comfortable with, and that ends up being personal.

Top Bottom