• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I need to shoot trapped varmints and a 22 revolver with low powered rounds seems like the perfect choice. I have been watching the classifieds here for a while without success. I know 0, nada, nothing maybe even less about revolvers. It looks like I am going to have to buy new and a Ruger Wrangler looks suitable and they are available new. In a perfect world I would like something physically smaller or if the same size with more rounds than 6. I am not necessarily on a budget but don't need anything fancy for what I am going to ask of it. What do you guys recommend? If anyone in NWI has something they are looking to sell please pm me.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    A Wrangler is perfect for what you need it for. Can't beat a brand new Ruger for $200ish. Anything of similar quality in a double action revolver is going to cost 2.5 to 3 times as much, and pickings are slim right now. Even old, beat-up High Standard Sentinels are priced around $350 on Gunbroker right now, and they have always been about a $200 gun.

Personally, I'd love to have a Ruger SP101 in .22, but I ain't paying $650+ for a .22 revolver.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Taurus makes a 8 round 22lr revolver. Believe 2 or 3" barrel and around $300 new. Believe model # 942

Or could look for a taurus TX22 semi auto. Cheap enough at $300 new and 12+1 capacity

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I need to shoot trapped varmints and a 22 revolver with low powered rounds seems like the perfect choice. I have been watching the classifieds here for a while without success. I know 0, nada, nothing maybe even less about revolvers. It looks like I am going to have to buy new and a Ruger Wrangler looks suitable and they are available new. In a perfect world I would like something physically smaller or if the same size with more rounds than 6. I am not necessarily on a budget but don't need anything fancy for what I am going to ask of it. What do you guys recommend? If anyone in NWI has something they are looking to sell please pm me.
    For shooting trapped varmints I’d get a cheap heritage arms. They’re like $150 at most new.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Taurus makes a 8 round 22lr revolver. Believe 2 or 3" barrel and around $300 new. Believe model # 942

Or could look for a taurus TX22 semi auto. Cheap enough at $300 new and 12+1 capacity

The Taurus is a good option, if you can find one. There are currently only 2 available on Gunbroker, and I couldn't find one in stock anywhere. One of the Gunbroker 942s is already bid past $400. I'd snap one up at $280 - $300 if I could find one in a local shop somewhere. It's been a loooong time since I've seen a reasonably priced good quality 22 revolver anywhere, other than the Wrangler.

I've got a TX22 (capacity is 16+1). Excellent semiauto 22, maybe the best striker fired 22 available. I've seen them on and off at gun shops the past couple of weeks. Still $100+ more than a Wrangler, though.

For shooting trapped varmints I’d get a cheap heritage arms. They’re like $150 at most new.

I had a Heritage Rough Rider lock up while working the action in the gun shop. There's a reason you can find them for $129.99 sometimes.

You won't regret the extra $50-$75 spent on a Ruger.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Dunhams currently has the Rough Rider @ $129. That said Pops was trapping Woodchucks in his garden some time back and then dispatching them with a Sentinel. If that's what your trapped varmit is may I be the first to suggest from what I witnessed .22 LR is kinda underpowered for that job.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    A friend has a Rough Rider that locked up after about 30 rounds, it was replaced but he had to pay shipping both ways.
    Ruger customer service is the best if needed, the Wrangler would be my choice or even a MK IV standard which is in the $350 range and 10 shot. Good luck.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    It cost quite a bit more than the Rough Rider or the Wrangler would, but I am very happy with my S&W Model 617. It's a ten-round double action, so it's a fun range toy, too.

I like the nostalgia of single action revolvers, but I find it tedious to actually shoot them.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have two Ruger Bearcats and a Ruger Single Six. I bought the bearcats for my grandkids to shoot but I enjoy them as much as they do and the ammo last longer.

Irukanji

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    SW Indiana
    Ruger LCR in .22 will probably last 3 lifetimes and is very light and manageable. Also, it is a great range gun for practicing mechanics with a gun very similar to the .38 revolver you will soon own! :)

Top Bottom