• ...and so much more!
  • profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I've been carrying a Sig Sauer P365 as my EDC for the last year and a half, but as the weather gets colder and the clothes get baggier, I've been thinking about getting a slightly larger 9mm handgun to carry. Basically wanting to move from the microcompact to a compact, at least for the winter. The main reason is the shootability improvement of a little bigger gun, but I also don't want to carry a monster like my full sized 10mm. I have been doing some research, touching and shooting a few guns as I've been able to, and have now put together a short list. Given that this fine collection of INGO members is a lot smarter than me, I thought I would throw it out for discussion.

I don't necessarily want to add anything that isn't on the list already, as it took a while to get to a short list, since there are a dizzying number of options out there. However, I would love to hear any feedback on or experience (positive or negative) with the guns in my list, especially . Thanks in advance for the input and I look forward to the discussion!

In alphabetical order:

- Canik TP9SF Elite
    - CZ P-10 C
    - Heckler & Koch VP9
    - Sig Sauer P320 XCompact
    - Springfield XD-M Elite Compact
    - Walther PPQ M2

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    For me, it's one gun, the same gun all of the time.

The threat does not change with the season or whether I'm wearing a coat or t-shirt or barefoot in shorts.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    For me, it's one gun, the same gun all of the time.

The threat does not change with the season or whether I'm wearing a coat or t-shirt or barefoot in shorts.

I am inclined to agree with this in theory. All carry weapons should have the same manual-of-arms. Different barrel and grip lengths can be used under different conditions. But if you keep a standard set of controls, you should be fine.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    The XDM Elite Compact can switch from a compact to a full size with the included full size mags (with grip extension).

Its a very versatile gun and the newer version of the XDM compact which has a great track record. I see a few of the original available on armslist from time to time.

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I am inclined to agree with this in theory. All carry weapons should have the same manual-of-arms. Different barrel and grip lengths can be used under different conditions. But if you keep a standard set of controls, you should be fine.

Point taken. Honestly, part of the reason I’m wanting to do this is that I may decide to switch from the P365 as my EDC. It’s so small that I feel like it gets lost in my hands and is definitely more challenging to shoot. Not that I don’t think I can be effective with it, but definitely feel more effective with a little larger gun. And maybe this is 2020 talking, but I find myself caring less about “printing” than I do about using my EDC as effectively as possible.

Perhaps I should just add a sling to my 9mm PDW and call it a day. :):

Last edited:

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I'd toss the Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0 compact in the mix. Good platform that's easy to shoot. :cool:

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Cheap route is an XL grip module for your 365 (makes it the same grip size as when you have 12 round mags in it) and add a few 15 round mags as well. You can still also use any 12 round mags you have, you will just need the flat mag base plates which can be purchased cheaply if yours did not come with them. Should also fit your same holster, etc.

On your list, I'd pick the X-compact. Then I'd also put a flat trigger in your 365 FCU as well for similarity. I really like my X-compact. I've also put a Wilson combat grip module on it. That said the P10 and several of the others would serve you well I'm sure. As someone else said, the M&p is an excellent gun as well.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Something to look at with your sub-compact 9mms.

A lot of folks believe they are shooting well with these guns because they are able to produce good groups with them. All the while, they are adjusting their grip after every shot.

Grip on these small guns is critical. Being able to maintain your grip through recoil for immediate follow up shots is essential.

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    The XDM Elite Compact can switch from a compact to a full size with the included full size mags (with grip extension).

Its a very versatile gun and the newer version of the XDM compact which has a great track record. I see a few of the original available on armslist from time to time.

That’s a great point and actually what kept the XDM Elite Compact on my list. It has the shortest barrel of the list, so I almost eliminated it. However, I really like my XDM 10mm and that “modular” feature is at least interesting. Not sure if I would ever use that feature, but it at least sounds interesting! Haha

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    As a bedside gun, stick the full size mag with the grip extension in it. Going out for the day and plan on concealing it - use the flush mag. It's hard to beat 13+1 or 19+1 (in the original xdm)!

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Cheap route is an XL grip module for your 365 (makes it the same grip size as when you have 12 round mags in it) and add a few 15 round mags as well. You can still also use any 12 round mags you have, you will just need the flat mag base plates which can be purchased cheaply if yours did not come with them. Should also fit your same holster, etc.

On your list, I'd pick the X-compact. Then I'd also put a flat trigger in your 365 FCU as well for similarity. I really like my X-compact. I've also put a Wilson combat grip module on it. That said the P10 and several of the others would serve you well I'm sure. As someone else said, the M&p is an excellent gun as well.

This is the answer IMHO

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'd suggest just the 15rd mag for the P365.

And, whatever you do, cross off the XD as a carry gun. Too many chances to go wrong with the your grip on the gun in a OhCrapINeedMyGunRightDamnedNOW scenario - and not getting the grip safety depressed completely. They're rather unforgiving of poor grips.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I've been carrying a Sig Sauer P365 as my EDC for the last year and a half, but as the weather gets colder and the clothes get baggier, I've been thinking about getting a slightly larger 9mm handgun to carry. Basically wanting to move from the microcompact to a compact, at least for the winter. The main reason is the shootability improvement of a little bigger gun, but I also don't want to carry a monster like my full sized 10mm. I have been doing some research, touching and shooting a few guns as I've been able to, and have now put together a short list. Given that this fine collection of INGO members is a lot smarter than me, I thought I would throw it out for discussion.

I don't necessarily want to add anything that isn't on the list already, as it took a while to get to a short list, since there are a dizzying number of options out there. However, I would love to hear any feedback on or experience (positive or negative) with the guns in my list, especially . Thanks in advance for the input and I look forward to the discussion!

In alphabetical order:

- Canik TP9SF Elite
    - CZ P-10 C
    - Heckler & Koch VP9
    - Sig Sauer P320 XCompact
    - Springfield XD-M Elite Compact
    - Walther PPQ M2

I only have experience carrying one of those on the list (VP9) but all of them are great guns that you should feel comfortable carrying provided you shoot them well.

As others mentioned, I would personally eliminate the Springfield because of the grip safety and the shenanigans the company pulled a few years back in terms of trying to get a carve out for proposed licensing requirements in Illinois, which basically amounted to them going along with a state gun control law as long as they had an exemption.

https://gunstoday.com/why-is-everyone-boycotting-springfield-armory/

I would also say that the Walther PPQ and VP9 are essentially the same gun, but the Walther carries a lower price tag, so you get a little more value for the money.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    OP.......out of the previous replies, I definitely think that WebSnyper has the best response (and Dean Crail concurs).

However, I'm just curious why you don't include any metal-framed guns in your list. Is weight a big factor for you ?
    Once the weather allows me to wear a sweatshirt (or heavier) outer garment, I'm full speed ahead with carrying an all-metal handgun, as they always balance, and shoot better for me.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have owned the PPQ and a P10C. The PPQ was fine. The P10C, I didn't care for. The design of the trigger guard caused the pistol to "pinch" my finger on recoil. I tried 3 different triggers and none of them corrected the issue. So if that is a consideration shoot one first. You'll know after one mag if it bothers you.

I'm curious why you don't have a S&W M&P 2.0 Compact on the list. They are nice, reliable pistols. Or the king of the heap, the Glock 19.

I don't own a Glock but I still recommend them. Those two guns above would be my shortlist.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Something to look at with your sub-compact 9mms.

A lot of folks believe they are shooting well with these guns because they are able to produce good groups with them. All the while, they are adjusting their grip after every shot.

Grip on these small guns is critical. Being able to maintain your grip through recoil for immediate follow up shots is essential.

As you know, I couldn't agree more. If you haven't run your carry gun through some timed drills or tests that include drawing and multiple shots, you really don't know if you are shooting it well or not. Even better this would be some type of standardized test that you can have some benchmarks for. Even better, run it through an IDPA match.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Top Bottom