• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Short and simple. Looking for some ideas on a good handgun to keep in my truck. Something reliable, but not a $1000 piece of art either. Something that can take a beating and keeps on ticking. One that will not break my heart when it gets a "beauty mark" or 2.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    I used to tell people a Glock 37 or 38 because they were relative cheap but nothing it cheap anymore.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member / [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Basic Pistol instructor[/FONT][FONT=&quot] / RSO[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]

“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    So a little different train of thought. My EDC is a Springfield XDm45 with an extra mag with +3 extension. It is a Bi-Tone so it holds up well to EDC and ran me $400 lightly used. I added a truck gun recently to go with it, given the current level of crazy in the world. It is an AR45 pistol. It's compact yet shoots more like a rifle and gives me more accuracy at distance. I topped it with an etched red dot so if the battery dies I can still be used. It runs Glock mags and I have a couple 26rd mags with it. I had thought about picking up a Glock as a companion to it since they would both use the same magazines, but I already had the XD.

There are also a lot of 9mm AR pistols out there these days as well.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Glock 17 in a metal strong box bolted to the floor, or cable locked to a metal mounting bracket for the seat. Avoid gunvault, their customer service is worse than comcast.

It's a car/truck gun. It can be full size. Capacity matters especially with the riots and the good chance more riots will be happening.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    This application is where lower budget options really shine.

Keltec, Taurus, Charter Arms, Kahr, Bersa all make reliable and low cost models that I would trust for vehicle use, particularly if you plan to leave it in the vehicle when not in use.

Roadman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2019
    Nashville
    I occasionally use my Glock 20 plus an extra mag. It has never failed to fire and is accurate. My big concern is theft and whatever could happen next. So with some engineering, it is secure, yet easy for me to get to. All this being said, it never spends the night in my truck. I have a simple routine of locking down the Glock upon entering the truck and storing it when I get home. I would simply carry if many of the places I visit allowed entry with firearms. As we all know, fewer and fewer establishments respect the right to carry. Be safe.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    EAA Windicator .357 Magnum Compact Revolver 770130

Perfect truck gun.
    I have one for a "home" gun.
    I always liked the "old fashioned" approach & niche that the EAA Windicator fills as a less expensive, no-frills but durable tool.
    Relatively inexpensive for a 6 round .357 magnum.

Brand EAA
    Model Name Windicator
    MPN 770130
    Caliber .357 Magnum
    Class Compact
    Capacity 6
    Barrel Length 2"
    Length 7"
    Weight 30 oz
    Sights Fixed
    Grip Standard
    Trigger Standard
    Safety None
    Finish Blued/Black
    Condition New in Box
    MSRP (Static) 343.00

Cherry-picked target of 5 rds at 21' on a rest using D/A.
    I think the red/orange is 3" x 5".
    WXpu1Z8.jpg
    KNAswCE.jpg

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    EAA Windicator .357 Magnum Compact Revolver 770130

Perfect truck gun.
    I have one for a "home" gun.
    I always liked the "old fashioned" approach & niche that the EAA Windicator fills as a less expensive, no-frills but durable tool.
    Relatively inexpensive for a 6 round .357 magnum.

Brand EAA
    Model Name Windicator
    MPN 770130
    Caliber .357 Magnum
    Class Compact
    Capacity 6
    Barrel Length 2"
    Length 7"
    Weight 30 oz
    Sights Fixed
    Grip Standard
    Trigger Standard
    Safety None
    Finish Blued/Black
    Condition New in Box
    MSRP (Static) 343.00

Cherry-picked target of 5 rds at 21' on a rest using D/A.
    I think the red/orange is 3" x 5".
    WXpu1Z8.jpg
    KNAswCE.jpg

This is and will be the best suggestion for this application. I have had or currently have one of each of their offerings in the 2" & 4" models. The 4" is a great "field gun" for farm duty/woods work. The 2" for glovebox/console support.

I have found the DA pull to be quite stiff until broken in, but accurate within reason for both models. I am actually quite surprised at their capabilities with SA pull.
    Inexpensive, but those that have tend to hold onto.

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I have my 9mm EDC on me at all times, but instead of a “truck gun”, I sometimes also have a backpack in my car with my FM-9 9mm PDW and a couple of 33 round mags. I usually carry it if I’m going somewhere unfamiliar, but with the way things are going, I may start carrying the backpack a bit more often!

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Rock Island M200 38 special. $213 out the door at Rural King.

My life is worth a hell of a lot more than $213. Or 6 shots before I'm empty.

The primary purpose of a firearm deployed in a defensive role is to be reliable, combat accurate, easy to use and reliable. A service grade full-sized semiauto pistol in a proven caliber is the minimum that should be considered for a dedicated vehicle gun. Perhaps a compact version, if it will serve occasional duty as a carry gun. Decent budget options are available if one cannot afford a pistol from a top-tier manufacturer. Canik, Taurus G3, Ruger SR series, Walther Creed, S&W SD/VE series, etc.

If you are motivated to keep a dedicated gun in a vehicle, why? If it has to do with current events, ask yourself if a six-shooter is really your level of comfort if you take a wrong turn or SHTF on the way home. "Cheap, in case it gets scratched/dinged/stolen" should not even factor in to your decision. It's a tool to save your life and get you back to your loved ones. It doesn't have to cost $900, but it should probably be something well-regarded enough to go for more than $213 at full retail.

:twocents:

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    My thanks to all who have responded. Lots of good ideas coming in. Keep them coming.

I don't carry as often as I should and more than once I have been at a stoplight with some idiots' radio blasting stupid music or their bass vibrating MY truck. No incidents yet, but there is always the 1st time. And with the current state of affairs, it is always better to have and not need than to need and not have. Thus the reason for the post.

I am a wheelgun fan (old school that way), but my EDC is a S&W Shield .45 so I am leaning towards getting another one for the truck and keeping 3 mags with it. If 21 rds won't get the job done, I am already in a world of S&%T.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    My life is worth a hell of a lot more than $213. Or 6 shots before I'm empty.

The primary purpose of a firearm deployed in a defensive role is to be reliable, combat accurate, easy to use and reliable. A service grade full-sized semiauto pistol in a proven caliber is the minimum that should be considered for a dedicated vehicle gun. Perhaps a compact version, if it will serve occasional duty as a carry gun. Decent budget options are available if one cannot afford a pistol from a top-tier manufacturer. Canik, Taurus G3, Ruger SR series, Walther Creed, S&W SD/VE series, etc.

If you are motivated to keep a dedicated gun in a vehicle, why? If it has to do with current events, ask yourself if a six-shooter is really your level of comfort if you take a wrong turn or SHTF on the way home. "Cheap, in case it gets scratched/dinged/stolen" should not even factor in to your decision. It's a tool to save your life and get you back to your loved ones. It doesn't have to cost $900, but it should probably be something well-regarded enough to go for more than $213 at full retail.

:twocents:

This was also my thinking going with a 45acp AR Pistol. I typically carry my XDm45 with an extra mag and the AR 45 with 2 - 26rd mags as a truck gun. It's still compact and is super accurate out to 25yds and beyond. Both guns have been flawless and having 81+ rounds of 45acp hopefully covers most situations.

I like to be overprepared.

Top Bottom